Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Time for a tyre change?

996 Porkster

Hi guys. Be grateful for your opinions on the condition of my front tyres. Both are in the same condition as the picture. Would they be an MOT failure? Time for a change?

Attachments

• img_20190808_wa0000_368.jpg
    img_20190808_wa0000_368.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 1,807
I`d say that is pretty normal if you drive the car hard, how old are they is more important really, I`ve noticed a very noticeable drop off in grip on my 6 year old Michelin PS2 rears with 3mm tread depth in the last couple of months on the Boxster S, time to change them before the next trackday next month :grin:

Yours look fine for the MOT as long as the tread depth is legal.

I think they'd only be listed as an advisory but I'd be looking to change them asap. What's the manufacturing date? Look for a 4 digit number in an oval. These digits denote the week and year.

Those tyres are perished from age and sun exposure. Hard driven tyres will look 'scrubbed' rather than cracked. Time for a change as the rubber will have hardened and won't be anywhere near the performance they gave when new.

Not an mot failure .. but i would be suggesting they are replaced .. interested to know the year .. Dot then some numbers on the tyre will say how old they are .

Ie .. DOT 26 17 .. 26 week , year 2017 .

Michelin tyres im guessing as these do tend to crack after a few years .

Thanks for your advice guys. The tyres are Michelin PS2 N3s. Manufactured December 2012. I guess they are pretty old. Will get around to replacing them I think.
What's the consensus on tyre makes? I don't really drive the car very hard on the road and not on the track. Stick with another pair of N3s? That's what I have on the rear.
Cheers.

Mine PS2's are 5 years old this year and despite them having plenty of thread I am going to replace them. Not worth the risk :)

I'd be more worried by the sidewall damage just next to where it says PS2

Mac996t said:
I'd be more worried by the sidewall damage just next to where it says PS2
Holy cr@p, just noticed that. Time to start scouring the Internet me thinks!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back