Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Tyre recommendations - 285/30/18

911-C2

Monza
Hello,

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in the correct size tyre for my car - 285/30/198.

I have some Pirrelli on the rear currently with about 5mm tread but they definitely require replacement as are lethal in the wet. I assume the 12 year old rubber is past its best.

Reading around, even new Pirelli don't seem to get a great write up.

What is everybody's go to tyre out of the choice I can find available:

Michelin PS2 N3
Bridgestone Potenza S02A
Pirelli P Zero Rosso N4
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2

I am not bothered about the N rating, is the above the only tyres available to choose from?

Thanks,
James

911-C2 said:
I assume the 12 year old rubber is past its best.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

911-C2 said:
Michelin PS2 N3
Bridgestone Potenza S02A
Pirelli P Zero Rosso N4
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2

I am not bothered about the N rating, is the above the only tyres available to choose from?

Thanks,
James

Yeah you're kinda limited for this size. You could go 275/35/18 or 295/30/18 as well.

Going through the same deliberations myself at mo -

275/35r18 means a wider choice/cheaper tyre, e.g. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ~£150 fitted ea.

Depends on what you want them to do. If you want stickyness then the above is a good list; if you want long wearing the Falken are very good.

Had a set on my C4S and they lasted 18 months. :thumb:

Osh

I swear by these. Excellent value for money and stick like shoite to a blanket.

Attachments

• screenshot_2019_08_07_14_16_17_715.png
    screenshot_2019_08_07_14_16_17_715.png
    621.3 KB · Views: 3,568
I put Bridgestone N rated on mine recently. Replacing 7 year old Michelin.

I think whatever new tyres you put on will be a world better than any that are 5 + years old. At 12 years they must be as hard as steel!

I am very pleased with them and can recommend them quite happily. The ride feels a little more compliant and the grip levels higher and the transition to slip predictable (very small amounts of slip! I'm not Monkey Harris!)

Alex said:
I swear by these. Excellent value for money and stick like shoite to a blanket.

Interesting. How are the sidewalls? are they stiff enough?
I've put Uniroyal RS3's on my car and I regret this. Soft as marshmellows, even though they're good in the rain.

XL - extra load. They're fine. Only problem I have now is I can't get the back end out.

Alex said:
XL - extra load. They're fine. Only problem I have now is I can't get the back end out.

rs3's are XL too but way too soft.

I went with PS2s but after speaking to CG during my suspension set up, I slightly wish I had gone PS4s in 275/35/18, a more modern tyre and apparently very good.

I had PS4 on my 997TT and I found them very hard...I run PS2 on the C4 and I think the same on the Cayenne... its Michelin or Conti for me... however I agree with Falkens... a great tyre.. very sticky for a great drive... had them on previous AMGs....

On my PS4 You turned in and there was a bit of a delay until the tyres settled into their steady state grip so you would need two bites of the cherry on entry. CG agreed when I went back following my initial set up (we ran out of time for a proper assessment) and added a bit of camber to stop them rolling in hard cornering and took off some toe in at the rear to help the response. Pete said that actually a few customers with the PS4 had reported something similar.
However with that alignment now done, the PS4 are epic.

Thanks for the input, I'll probably go for the Bridgestone in the correct size.

My strong preference for rears is the cheapest and hopefully hardest tyre I can find in 255 section. That way I get to do at least a bit of steering with the throttle. You guys on 285+ section modern rubber are missing out on a world of fun. Massive tyres to look nice though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back