Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997 GTS or Turbo

BlackTurbo

Silverstone
Hi All,

Long time since I have posted ever since I sold my 996 Turbo.

I am in a position where I am looking for a car for max one year ownership as a stop gap for me whilst I save up for a particular exotic marque I have on my bucket list.

The criteria for me is simple really. A reliable fun car upto £50k which will hold its money well over the next 12 months and is a relatively painless sell come the time to move on.

The GTS and Turbo are the 2 cars I have my eyes on for this job, but I am surprised to see current prices show these two model types are overlapping.
So is this correct or is one undervalued and the other overvalued! With prices generally softening and falling across the board I would be interested in peoples views on which of these cars you think is the best bet for meeting the needs I have i.e. fun ownership, and will hold its money, will not be a pain to sell on.

Look forwards to your opinions. Please note I am not looking at any sort of investment car or the like as I am simply going to keep it for a year and will probably put max 3000 miles on it I assume in that time as a weekend toy.

I suspect the GTS isn't in budget :dont know:

spongebob squarepants said:

Mine was up for £46k, got it for a bit less. Was on 77k though!

I have seen a few GTS's for under £50k and just over before a negotiation. I can access a tad over the budget for the perfect car but I guess the requirements still hold i.e. if I pay more than £50k it would ideally be for the car that most closely meets my needs.

BlackTurbo said:

I have seen a few GTS's for under £50k and just over before a negotiation. I can access a tad over the budget for the perfect car but I guess the requirements still hold i.e. if I pay more than £50k it would ideally be for the car that most closely meets my needs.

GTS for the sound, turbo for everything else :thumb:

Granted 10K over budget but this could be a decent option:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134638

You could keep it for 12mts and it would still have 20mts porsche warranty left when you sold it.

Should make it pretty easy to sell, warranty also makes your ownership relatively low risk and I am sure you would get most of your money back.

I do not know the car or seller but worth considering if you can stretch your budget :wink:

Turbo.

Next question... :grin:

GTS no brainer and actually much more special car as run out last of the line with all the best bits in one package. Much easier ownership prospect especially if you want to sell in 12 month.

By way of example T8 has had a minter for sale for what 12 months and not sold?

Turbo. They go faster. They're bad boy. No brainer. Forget all the chin stroking bollox. Turbo.

Well said that Man...Turbo all day long

Do it, smile and buy me a pint when you realise how great they are !

FRP said:
Well said that Man...Turbo all day long

Do it, smile and buy me a pint when you realise how great they are !

Are you going to be at VMAX mid Sept mate? No point having all that power without VMAXing her and seeing what she can really do :D

Dates and plans permitting ... it's a yes

thanks for the views.

Having had a 911 Turbo before all be it 996 I know what they are about but felt the GTS was very well regarded too. However seems that the overwhelming view seems to be to go for the 997 Turbo.

Is therefore the general consensus that a Turbo is more fun for normal weekend blasts than a GTS? I do not track my cars.

Also I assume from people views they also believe a Turbo will do better on residuals 12 months from now?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back