Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 - debris in oil filter

318touring

Spa-Francorchamps
I originally posted this at Rennlist, but I thought would be good to get views from the British crowd as Rennlist is mostly Americans. Also the car is an ex-UK car that was imported to NZ.

Straight copy and paste from the original post:

Based on my search, the consensus (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/836662-oil-filter-particles-how-much-is-normal.html) is that this is fine (normal?) for 997.2 as it is nothing like this (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/817850-metal-shavings-in-oil-filter-2.html)

I don't think it's metallic, ran a magnet across the pieces I could pick out and they stayed put. I don't have a magnetic oil plug.

The oil was changed yesterday by the dealer hence cutting open the filter today. The car doesn't use any oil, not smoking, no difference in soot produced between left& right pipes, runs fine apart from 'hunting' a wee bit between 700-800 rpm which might be caused by dirty air filter and the boot between the throttle body and airbox has two splits at the bottom (waiting for the new part to arrive from the UK). Car has 55xxx kms on the clock, 2010, PDK, basic C2.

Here are some pictures, they are the ones that I can 'successfully' photograph as other 'debris' might be just too small and difficult to see. The amount and distribution are limited to every 3 or 4 crevasses in the oil filter.

But, the main question, is this still considered normal.

Attachments

• 20190803_095836_942.jpg
    20190803_095836_942.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,994
  • 20190803_095948_523.jpg
    20190803_095948_523.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 1,994
  • 20190803_100225_105.jpg
    20190803_100225_105.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 1,994
  • 20190803_100259_676.jpg
    20190803_100259_676.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 1,994
To me and my untrained eye it doesn't look like metal. Perhaps something that was in a filling reducer spout that got washed in last time the oil was changed?

Looks more silica or sand based to me?

318touring said:
Yes, seems to be non-metal as the magnet didn't pick anything up.

Seems to be non magnetic, could still be metal though.

Large parts of the engine are ally based which is non magnetic .. if you can squash the particles with your finger nails then they are silicone based .. if not then hard plastic or ally imho .

You will get the occasion particle .. there are very few here so i would lean towards normal .. i'm sure the dealer had something to say on the matter .

Gen 2 997 ..on the gen 2 cayman then i've seen a few of these have the brake booster / tandem pump break up or start to wear excessively .. any associated noises at idle at all like a ticking noise ?

Hunting or poor idle needs investigating , not normal on one of these , may well just be the pipe but needs sorting either way .

Thanks demort, haven't emailed the dealer as it's the weekend and I don't even know the Porsche tech's email address.

The pieces were so small, I can't squash anything as they would just disappear under my fingernail. Never to be seen again. The one photographed off the oil filter was the biggest ones that I managed to collect.

Interesting comment about brake booster or tandem pump. I don't know what's normal ticking noise or not. The dealer didn't provide any commentary i.e. not very proactive. Maybe someone here could provide an example of how it shouldn't sound.

I'm waiting for the part to arrive from design911 to replace the pipe. I haven't cleaned the throttle body thoroughly only the front part and not beyond the 'gate'.

The car sounds pretty normal to me .. you also have no oil leaks what so ever and the exhaust flange studs have been replaced .

In short .. i don't think there is anything to worry about with what you have found in the filter.

keep me informed with the idle issue though please .. either here or PM .

Thanks again demort, the parts arrived yesterday. Ordered last Sunday, packed on Wednesday and at my door step in New zealand by Sunday.

I'll try to fit them tonight or on the weekend, and will keep you updated.

I still need to order a magnetic oil plug just to make sure that i get all the information I can. I'll do another oil change 6 months from now and monitor the engine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back