Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 coils and spark plug tools req.

deMort

Monaco
A couple of pictures of a gen 2 cayman plug job , going to do a write up on that in a few days ..

This shows the type of coil fitted to gen 2 997 and so on .

As you can see it's totally different and whilst they occasionally fail it's not a case of replacing all of them .

These basically don't corrode so there is no need .

These plugs protrude much further into the cyl and as such carbon up on the threads .. you have to force them out or wind in and out to free them off .

The tools shown .. a god send .. trust me .. the angles you can achieve make it simple on any model from a 993 upwards .

This is what i use every day .. the flexible end means easy access .

These are snap - on btw and i highly recommend something similar .

For a Cayman then its plenty of extensions .. but that's for the Cayman section.

Attachments

• coil_1_210.jpg
    coil_1_210.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 2,004
  • coil_312.jpg
    coil_312.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 2,004
Thanks for this Demort, I'll be doing the same soon. Do I see bumper screws? Did you remove the rear bumper to change the plugs? I would think it makes life much easier...

Gen 2 997 ..

You need to remove the rear bumper , then the silencers then the heat shields.

The main reason is you often have to cut off the x2 sleeve clamps to remove the silencers .

The instructions just say remove the silencers with the bumper in situ ( on a ramp ) .. in reality it's not really possible if doing it jacked up and with these sleeve bolts corroded .

Ian(Demort) Changed a coil pack and spark plug for me about a month ago and I was shocked at the amount of strip down involved. I would leave it to the professionals if I were you.

Nice one DeMort, as you know i had a misfire recently on no1 and the heatshields were a bit corroded, DeMort recommended that I should replace just the one coil pack along with the plugs, but I decided to replace all 6 coil packs and heat shields because I didn't want to take a chance of the other 5 failing.
That was around 8 weeks ago and no problems since, so thanks again DeMort..
A happy Swamps :)

This post was mainly to show the actual coils and how different they are to the early ones .

They just don't corrode basically .

Like anything though they can fail but i only recommend a single replacement .. replace the part that's broken ..

It's just a recommendation though .. people can replace all of them if they wish for peace of mind .

Swamps :thumb:

With PanozGTR's car then we went with one and it's been fine since .

Also .. and i cant state this enough .. the plug socket and ratchet are a godsend for fitting plugs in All Porsches so well worth getting this flexi type if your a hands on person.

Mr DeMort,
Old thread I know but possibly a useful extension of it.
I am about to do some work on my 997.2 which will include removing the exhaust system. While I have access I plan to remove the plugs for a safe removal check. They are 20K miles old but 4 years. I will replace them with new as I am there :wink:
I would like to buy the jointed plug spanner and the similar ratchet but I can't find them. Do you have a Snap-on part number or are they available elsewhere.
Sorry to have to ask!
Thanks in advance
John Castle

Im afraid im off work for a couple of weeks so i can't look at my tools for now but looking on the snap on site then this would be the plug socket ..

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Uni...k-Drive-Universal-Spark-Plug-Socket/S9706KFUA

You would use extensions with it , these can be any make and i use a long ratchet to break the plugs free ..

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual-80-Technology-Ratchets-(3-8%22)/3-8%22-Drive-Dual-80-Technology-Soft-Grip-Long-Handle-Flex-Head-Ratchet-(Green)/FHLF80AG

https://shop.snapon.com/

Thanks again.
Get well soon :thumb:
John

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back