Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Update on The IMS solution

panda911

Hi all
I posted a lot longer ago than I realised, in fact back in 2013, about the then newly introduced
The IMS Solution which Revolution Porsche (RP) agreed to trial on my car.

My 996/C4 is now on more than 90k miles and this is an update; Last year Gareth Merrick at RP mentioned that there was the most fine film of oil on the oil filter itself and he was reluctant to strip the spin on filter adapter from the oil filter boss as he needed to know the exact part number of the O ring sealing the adapter (provides oil feed to the new bearing) to the block.
As I was in US, I agreed to call same number I used to speak to Jake Raby in 2013 and the phone was answered by someone called Jud.
Jud said that he thought that the O ring was the Porsche part used with the original oil filter and would get back to me.
Within about 20 minutes I had an email reply from Charles L Navarro, (of LN Engineering) who gave me the Porsche part number for the O ring but also said that if we for any reason needed a new filter adaptor, he would send one.
Gareth replaced the O ring and the oil film disappeared and stayed disappeared..
I mention the above because I was impressed with the good customer service which LN Engineering responded.
I hope that this posting is helpful for anyone interested in this different approach to the IMS problem.

Very interesting
My ims solution for a 1999 3.4 c2 is to change the oil yearly
And then drive the wheels of it,,,,,,😎

Me too - 1998 engine with 130k on the dual row bearing it started life with. Annual oil changes and drive it like I stole it.

Just short of 140k on mine now. Makes 3 of us.

105k here on a 1998 C2. Here's hoping it lasts as well as the ones above!

Re IMS solution mentioned originally, any issues or feedback about how it operates?

infrasilver said:
130,000 miles on my engine now and i still have my original IMS bearing and it's in perfect condition, although I now keep it in a box in my garage.

:floor:

deMort said:
40k mile Boxster in today with a failed IMS .. 987 .

I don't follow too closely as both of my non-Mezger ones are early engines, but is thar the single row or the later big bearing?

MC

I'm on 140k original IMS going strong too. Yearly oil change.

118k '99, all original.
Just done motorways, a roads, and 1-2 gear crawling along b roads with a 450 mile trip up to the peak district. No worries at all.

115k on mine - bearing was changed out at about 87k when Hartech rebuilt for piston slap (on a 3.4)
That's been a few years ago now - oil changed every year and driven in all manners of style :D

Dan

987 S 2005 Last of the early engines .

I've not seen one in a long time now .. this is the classic 13mm nut snapped off the bearing and dumped all its oil .

Back when these used to be a problem .. pretty much when i started on Porsche ( 2004 ) the classic sort of mileage always seemed to be around the 40k mark , not always but its a milage i saw a few times .

Strange this one was at this mileage as it would kind of indicate its milage not time based .

My own opinion is once passed this area of mileage then i feel there's very little chance of it failing ... as i said .. i've not seen one in ages now .

i only really know what i've seen over the years and am in no way an expert .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back