Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help needed , leak on my power steering system

Dave67

Trainee
Hi all

I've got a leak on my power steering system and need to isolate the power steering pump so it doesn't run dry when I drop it to my local garage for investigation.
I can't find a fuse listed specifically to isolate the pump.

Cheers

You won't, it is mechanical. Driven by the auxiliary belt from the engine.

MC

Cheers.

All sorted now,just had a bit of a panic moment and not thinking straight.

Found the source of the leak and made temporary fix,topped up the fluid and all was good to drive the couple of miles to the garage.

deMort said:
If the pas leak is the pipe o/s/f then just put a jubilee clip over it .. it will pretty much last forever .

Agree, I fitted two over my P/S crimp fitting around 8 years ago and they are still doing their job, the little bit of PS fluid mist around the clips that had built up over the years stops any further corrosion.

If its the external metal pipes on the rack a chap makes them in a shed in Borsall Common for about 40 quid. Fitting them is a pig as the front subframe needs dropping whilst propping up the fuel tank at the same time! This needs following up with a geo check!

Ian

I had the one pipe replaced as it was leaking at the union.
Part itself wasn't that expensive, but it took a while to fit as other bits needed to be removed to refit.

I didn't want to touch it, so I gave it to a garage - £300 ish inc part.

Done and done.

Dan

You can remove the steering rack without dropping the sub-frame.

It's not difficult, reconnecting the coupling between the rack and steering column can be a fiddle but in essence it's 6 bolts.

The lines on the rack rot badly, I recently replaced mine while ditching the engine mounted pump and the multitude of hoses for a frunk mounted Cup car electric pump.

Thanks for the replies.

Turns out it's a bodge by the previous owner ( my cousin).

He has replaced the rack and just cut the rubber hoses, inserting a sleeve,a piece of 10mm copper, into the hoses then using some cheap jubilee type clips
to clamp it all together.

Firstly the 10mm copper is too loose inside the pipe,secondly copper is soft so will crush under pressure from the clamping and thirdly ,the clips have snapped.

All in all a proper bodge up.

Nice.

However any hydraulic hose place (e.g. Pirtek) should be able to sell you a proper swaged coupler for the size of the pipe.

Replacing the pipes will be ££££££££££££££££££££££ probably cheaper to get an electric pump mounted in the frunk as above

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back