Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Xtrons double DIN installation

linners

Trainee
Guys

I'm getting my double DIN headunit installed in my 2003 996T. I just need to get some adaptor leads for the antenna and wondering what the yellow connector in the pics is for - can anyone point me in the right direction???

The climate control unit has been relocated to the bottom - I'll post pix once the install is finished :D

Attachments

• img_6541_206.jpg
    img_6541_206.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 4,022
  • img_6543_851.jpg
    img_6543_851.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 4,022
  • img_6545_205.jpg
    img_6545_205.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 4,022
  • img_6546_100.jpg
    img_6546_100.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 4,022
  • img_6547_141.jpg
    img_6547_141.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 4,022
The yellow plug is part Of The mini ISO block.
For the antenna you need the adaptor to change between antenna types they are a couple of pound off eBay. The one you pictured does not look right.. You need fakra to din looking at your pics

You had just a standard single din head unit? Are there any door speakers or just dash and rears?

all you need is £1.99 iso to din (I think) antenna adapter. The rest is plug and play with the harness xtrons supply with the unit.

Thanks Asterix :thumbs:

Forgot to mention it's a Bose system so there are door speakers. Looks like I'll need an adaptor for the amp too (fibre optic?) - see pic

Attachments

• img_6551_194.jpg
    img_6551_194.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 3,955
Owww.. Bose... Fibre optic.. That makes it a bit more complicated..

I've ripped off somebody else's post below on a different site but they seem to know what they are talking about, certainly more than me..

" If it is MY2003-on, then the Bose system uses the MOST (fibre optic) bus to transmit control and sound signals between the head unit, amplifier, telephone, and CD changer. In that case you have 3 options:
1) Bypass the amplifier, and connect the speaker outputs from the new head unit directly to the speakers. Not ideal, as the Bose speakers are a different impedance to the majority of car speakers.
2) Replace the amplifier with a conventional wired amplifier - again you have the speaker issue.
3) Use an adapter which converts the audio outputs from the new head unit to fibre optic signals, which connects to the Bose amp. There are a few on the market now, with prices from about £150 to £500. Connects2 make one which seems to do the trick, and isn't a ridiculous price."

Not just Bose, all the facelift cars have fibre optic systems. In 2002 it looked like the way forwards!!!

Ill have a dig through my emails and see if I can find the MOST adaptor I used when I did this in October last year.

If I remember correctly, I avoided the Porsche tax and got one listed for Mercedes, turns out it's the same unit made in Germany etc.

One thing I have to admit, and I believe I wired it up correctly, if you stall and have to restart the MOST adaptor gets out of sync/ doesn't power back on. It's a key out, wait 5 seconds and restart to get it working properly again.

Also, this took some headscratching, at first making calls didn't work (couldn't hear other person) and I couldn't hear Waze notifications.

Turns out, I'd connected to the 'rear" RCA out on the back of the headunit.

Finally point, make sure your amp settings are neutral before removing PCM, I don't believe you can change them afterwards without reconnecting it back up.

Dan

One last point, likely to be manufacture dependant, but I originally hooked the dimming function for the display up to a trigger from the cigarette socket light. Unfortunately (certainly with kenwood headunits) this doesn't work due to the PWM dimming of the internal lights, you'll just get night mode cycling off and on.

Attachments

• 4e1e6660_aeeb_49df_952b_19efe5e4063f_381.jpeg
    4e1e6660_aeeb_49df_952b_19efe5e4063f_381.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 3,845
  • e3d3411c_bc36_47cc_991b_6007a9fbc4f7_596.jpeg
    e3d3411c_bc36_47cc_991b_6007a9fbc4f7_596.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 3,845
Another quickie: will I get decent GPS reception if I mount the antenna under the dashboard?

It's an Xtron double DIN Android unit of some description - I bought it a while back on fleabay - never got round to fitting it till now.....

(I don't have access to it to be more specific right now)

That looks really neat...does that unit accept CarPlay?

Liners - hows this all gone...??

Any piccies of the successful install...??

Ta

Osh said:
Liners - hows this all gone...??

Any piccies of the successful install...??

Ta

Waiting for my auto-electrician to get back next week to finish off - pix to follow :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back