Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

"ZanziCup" : From Sow's Ear to Silk Purse.

Slippydiff

Imola
Following on from these threads :

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134448

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122766

This will be the equivalent of 'Marky's 996.2 GT3 thread"... (with a lot less updates, a soupcon less OCD and definitely without the superb images that Mark seems to be able to take whilst in the middle of his car fettling processes)

As previously documented, the ZanziCup's previous long term owner operated on an open cheque book basis when it came to maintaining and upgrading the car. In short, the car wanted for nothing. Regrettably the individuals tasked with upgrading/fettling the car operated on an 'Open wallet surgery" basis ...

Having bought the 997 Cup engine, paid for its installation and its mapping, funds were getting increasingly tight, so to save paying what is frequently £100 an hour labour charges, I elected to rattle some spanners myself (it's always a good way to bond with a car I find)

The car is intrinsically an excellent example, all original panel (except the bumpers, more of which later) but the thick end of a year parked outside Fearnsport in all weathers, from the hottest summer in 43 years and a long, wet, cold, Winter meant pretty much every area was in need of some real TLC.

Exhaust

With the engine installed and mapped, it became clear there was an issue with the very expensive BTB exhaust. Matt at Fearnsport had noted the issue, but didn't make me aware of it until I noticed it whilst test driving the car with Wayne Schofield.

The issue was a heavy metallic knocking/rattle at tickover through to 3000rpm. When I mentioned it to Matt, he said he had noticed it and checked all the joints and it's routing, all were perfect, but beyond that, nothing had been done to rectify the problem.

The more I drove the car, the worse the noise seemed to be getting.
Whilst it was up on a ramp at Fearnsport, I took the opportunity to establish the source of the rattle. Gently punching the manifold, cross pipes and link pipes, showed nothing to be amiss, but doing the same to the silencers (and specifically their end cases) soon revealed the source of the knock/rattle.
At this point I wasn't aware of how the internals of the silencer were formed, but I had a pretty good idea that the small, innocent looking screw in the centre of the end cap had something to do with the issue ... :

Upon the car's return, the exhaust became the first in an ever increasing hit-list of jobs to do.

The lightweight titanium silencer casings are made from two parts, the main body of the silencer with it's end cover welded to it, and a separate end cap (retained by Titanium screws no less) which is removable to enable the silencer to be repacked.

OZQ8lJN.jpg

I removed both the silencers and stripped one down. The removable end cap proved tricky to remove, such was the accuracy required when fabricating the two parts to ensure a gas tight seal between them, but after attaching the 2 titanium (what else ?) silencer clamps to the silencer body, I had something to hit with my best rubber mallet whilst I held the end cap/tailpipe assembly to enable me to separate the end cap from the body. Here's what I found (packing already removed) :

YfW800i.jpg

As can be seen, the 'U" section :

4QVQ7cp.jpg

slides over the two straight perforated sections and these in turn slide into two 'stubs" formed from the inlet tube and the outlet (tailpipe) , thus enabling the perforated section to 'float" and to allow the whole silencer to be stripped for re-packing.

The 'U" bend has a nut welded to it :

L7t3VQK.jpg

which enables it to be attached to the end cap via one small 4mm titanium screw .

My guess is the cams in the Cup engine were setting up massive pressure waves within the silencers that were causing the end cases to resonate, after a while the perforated tubes loosened in their sleeves and proceeded to float excessively, and the more they loosened, the more easily they floated, to the point they started to hammer into the end cases.

I'd already taken the car to Joe Ellis at BTB to show him the issue, and he'd agreed to look into the problem. Removing the exhaust myself meant I didn't have to wait for a space in their 'ramp schedule"

Joe kindly emailed me to tell me what he proposed to do to rectify the issue.
The end case would need some kind of additional bracing to stop it from resonating with the engine's firing pulses, and the 'U" bend needed a more substantial method of attachment to the end cover :

F7JOL1X.jpg

bi4pTc3.jpg

And the end result :

rnNrSQC.jpg

gdKohKw.jpg

C2wlgEu.jpg

lTCk824.jpg

ud4279j.jpg

NPSxCxB.jpg

The exhaust is now rattle/knock free.

As a footnote, Joe only charged me for the expensive packing material used to re-pack the silencers. I genuinely appreciate him fixing this problem FOC, bearing in mind the exhaust is now some 8 years old and I'm its third 'owner".
So a big thank you to both Joe and Will at BTB.

There's been scant time to drive the car over the past three months, added to which the car went to the body shop for 2-3 weeks to have its bonnet and front bumper painted, and it's rear bumper replaced.

However, with the mercury rising to 32 degrees yesterday, I elected to take the car out for its first real/proper outing. A near 300 mile tour of N.Wales. I set off at 3.30pm and arrived home just before 11.00 ...
Driving review to follow.

Enjoy :

I'm often asked why I like Zanzibar so much as a colour ... :?:

jUyr3Hc.jpg

N.Wales could only be described as meltingly hot yesterday afternoon/evening, but the roads were largely quiet, and the Tarmac sticky :mrgreen:

81lsKox.jpg

JDr6FLZ.jpg

1WyrjbU.jpg

More images to follow.

Hot sticky tarmac, deserted Welsh roads, blue skies! Sounds like heaven to me!
Great update on the car, loving hearing about the 'Zanzicup's" progress
I think it's game on with Marky911's thread 😉 photos look pretty good to me.

Enjoy the weather and the car.
👍👍

So some further images of my Welsh hoon earlier this week. Those familiar with the roads of N.Wales will recognise the locations/roads.

To witness the full depth of my photographic ineptitude, feel free to right click on the images and left click "Open image in new tab" ..

D9m7ij8.jpg

vNL74w3.jpg

QOU06VE.jpg

AXNUYdL.jpg

62f2R83.jpg

By late afternoon/early evening, I found myself on the Evo Triangle. It's been a good 18 months since I last drove around the Triangle, and some of you will be aware that the local authority have installed average speed cameras on sections of the roads that form the Triangle after several fatalities in recent years.

Keeping to an average of 60mph in the ZanziCup wasn't easy, so I took to stopping frequently and taking numerous photos to decrease my average speed ... !!!

The sections of the Triangle which really count, are still NSL with no average speed cameras, and there are other roads in close vicinity that are as good as (and many, including me) would say are better. But I have many fond memories of time spent driving the Triangle at all times of the day, at various times of the week and in differnt season of the year, so it felt fitting to return there and see how the car handled the more testing parts of the now infamous Evo test route.

vXvKJJY.jpg

TMgWmlg.jpg

O5iGC8I.jpg

TlGVuQg.jpg

4V9ZZ35.jpg

OCwZShg.jpg

DgIYaz3.jpg

bc12vLA.jpg

To those (in my experience, all too often Southern based) Porschephiles who say the UK's roads don't lend themselves to enjoying their cars, I'd say find yourself a good hotel (there are plenty up there) book yourself a room for a couple of nights, and go and explore the area midweek. You may be very pleasantly surprised ... :eek:

Zanzibar really suits the car - out in the strong daylight it looks stunning. Paul's done a good job there too!

I recognise a few of those bits of road, either from driving my own car or otherwise lugging MTBs in the van, en route to the (excellent) Antur Stiniog downhill trails near Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the ZanziCup! Will get the Humbug out to North Wales soon.

Fantastic write up! I completely agree with regards the available roads.

The UK roads may not be in the best condition always but some of the scenery and little routes available are just fantastic!

I live in Norway but keep my cars in the UK (Aberdeenshire). The early morning blasts across country or over to the West Coast of Scotland are some of the best in the world!

Slippy, thorough attention to detail as usual with your car.

I'm surprised that BTB don't use tape over the perforated pipes, something that top end motorcycle exhaust manufacturers use. They tape across the perf to protect the wadding during early running with any new silencers, which burns off over time, but crucially, provides enough protection to allow the wadding to settle-in. The result is that the silencers when new are really quite loud, but as time passes, they get quieter and quieter.

Because the wadding hasn't been instantly exposed to either extreme heat, or exhaust pulses, it has time to 'burn-in'. The tell-tale signs of its use is very thin lock wire wrapped around the perf, which is there to hold the tape on long enough to avoid toasting the wadding. Strange, but true. Arrow in Italy were the first to do this I think.

We found out because a super bike we prepared failed static noise testing, so we called the exhaust supplier who explained what would happen. Sure enough, three races in, the bike got quieter and never required a single refill in a whole season of BSB.

Back on topic, your car just looks so right. It must be a hell of ride on the road too, n/a rocket-sled :cloud9:

Keep writing these reports old chap, they are much appreciated by all the drivers on here.

Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you, and as always it's good (and interesting) to hear how this kind of stuff should be done (correctly).
Joe at BTB said the wadding used in the silencers is horrendously expensive, but it's also durable and thus worthwhile paying the extra for it...

Matt said he wouldn't expect to find any wadding in the silencers once I'd stripped them down. But when the end covers came off, the wadding was completely intact and looked like new. The silencers had been clearly well packed.

When I stripped the silencer boxes on my black Manthey car, the thin wire around the perforated tubes was evident .... alas none of the wadding was !! Actually, the missing wadding was a bonus, the car sounded amazing !! :)

Apologies for not having contacted you, it's been a busy few months. We need to get you in the passenger seat of the ZanziCup, I'll PM to discuss ingress and egress with the welded-in cage in place.

subscribed again :thumb:

This will be good. 8)

Thanks Henry, praise indeed. Your pics are cracking so far and even if they weren't the content is superb.
I simply substitute quality, material upgrades for pictures of irrelevant parts. :grin:

I tell you what mind, how good does it look in this pic!

jUyr3Hc.jpg

Couldn't agree more with your sentiments re people saying we can't use them. You're blessed with those roads on your doorstep and we don't do too badly up here. There's still plenty of time left before these cars become pointless on the road.

I'm looking forward to a suspension instalment H, as I know you'll leave no stone unturned.
Can't help noticing it's sitting lower than you usually have them for road use.
I'm guessing it's too your liking though, or will you be experimenting a bit more as time allows?

Superb content in the various threads about the car. The GT forum on here is one of the slower moving ones eh, but as Mike says the people who are interested are really interested, so keep the updates coming as time allows.

Great input Mike. I'd never heard of that. I love this forum for little nuggets of info like that.

That was some proper old skool customer service from the BTB boys mind. Highly commendable.

I may make a trip down sometime Henry to see and hear the car in person.
It would be good to get a few cars together for a Wales weekday road run. No hooliganism, just some spirited driving with a pleasant lunch stop etc.
A social rather than an endurance challenge. :wink:

We'll have to make it happen sometime. :thumb:

So many kind comments guys, they're much appreciated.

Marcus : As I said in my PM to you, I really couldn't have been happier with Paul's work on the paintwork. I'm incredibly grateful to you for the recommendation. I look forward to a N.Wales meet (ditto with you Mark)

Mark : Front ride height is slightly lower than I'd normally run, though the angle the car is on, is probably loading the N/S suspension and make it appear lower than it really is. The rear ride height needs to be further reduced, but I'll explain that more fully when I do my write up on the suspension ...

Niiiiiiccceee and good thread.

I said it before, in a way I was glad that there wasn't any Zanzibar for sale when I was looking for a GT3, otherwise it would have been been a difficult head (Mk2) vs heart (Zanzibar) decision. My favourite Mk1 colour and very rare too (8 UK cars IIRC?); I'm surprised the colour wasn't more popular then as it was the 'launch colour'.

Y2K said:
Niiiiiiccceee and good thread.

I said it before, in a way I was glad that there wasn't any Zanzibar for sale when I was looking for a GT3, otherwise it would have been been a difficult head (Mk2) vs heart (Zanzibar) decision. My favourite Mk1 colour and very rare too (8 UK cars IIRC?); I'm surprised the colour wasn't more popular then as it was the 'launch colour'.

Mark knows about that quandary all too well, he's probably done the right thing in owning both now !!

Back in the good old days the Titanic website listed 9 official UK Zanzibar Mk 1's.
Regrettably I killed one up in Scotland back in 2011, another was shunted heavily at Brands ? then shunted heavily again on the road IIRC ? It's now a Cat C but was put back on the road and subsequently fitted with air suspension, a somewhat ignominious end for the seminal watercooled GT car.

It's definitely a divisive colour, and quite difficult to photograph to get a true rendition of the hue. It really pops in bright sunlight such as that we've had these last few days (the large amounts of gold pearl become very obvious) but in dull, overcast conditions it looks very flat and doesn't pop at all, if you think of the colour of the baked beans (not the sauce) when you open a tin of Heinz finest, you'll not be a million miles off, in truth it looks a strange colour in dull, cloudy weather. This picture of an A4 Avant (Audi called it India Red) probably most accurately depicts it :

aJOSv8r.jpg

Out on the road the seems to garner a lot of positive comments from both males and females alike :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back