Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 1
991 : 2011-2019 0
997 : 2004-2012 1
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 22
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: “ZanziCup” : From Sow's Ear to Silk Purse. Reply with quote

Following on from these threads :

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=134448

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=122766

This will be the equivalent of “Marky's 996.2 GT3 thread”… (with a lot less updates, a soupcon less OCD and definitely without the superb images that Mark seems to be able to take whilst in the middle of his car fettling processes)

As previously documented, the ZanziCup's previous long term owner operated on an open cheque book basis when it came to maintaining and upgrading the car. In short, the car wanted for nothing. Regrettably the individuals tasked with upgrading/fettling the car operated on an “Open wallet surgery” basis …

Having bought the 997 Cup engine, paid for its installation and its mapping, funds were getting increasingly tight, so to save paying what is frequently £100 an hour labour charges, I elected to rattle some spanners myself (it's always a good way to bond with a car I find)

The car is intrinsically an excellent example, all original panel (except the bumpers, more of which later) but the thick end of a year parked outside Fearnsport in all weathers, from the hottest summer in 43 years and a long, wet, cold, Winter meant pretty much every area was in need of some real TLC.

Exhaust

With the engine installed and mapped, it became clear there was an issue with the very expensive BTB exhaust. Matt at Fearnsport had noted the issue, but didn't make me aware of it until I noticed it whilst test driving the car with Wayne Schofield.

The issue was a heavy metallic knocking/rattle at tickover through to 3000rpm. When I mentioned it to Matt, he said he had noticed it and checked all the joints and it's routing, all were perfect, but beyond that, nothing had been done to rectify the problem.

The more I drove the car, the worse the noise seemed to be getting.
Whilst it was up on a ramp at Fearnsport, I took the opportunity to establish the source of the rattle. Gently punching the manifold, cross pipes and link pipes, showed nothing to be amiss, but doing the same to the silencers (and specifically their end cases) soon revealed the source of the knock/rattle.
At this point I wasn't aware of how the internals of the silencer were formed, but I had a pretty good idea that the small, innocent looking screw in the centre of the end cap had something to do with the issue … :

Upon the car's return, the exhaust became the first in an ever increasing hit-list of jobs to do.

The lightweight titanium silencer casings are made from two parts, the main body of the silencer with it's end cover welded to it, and a separate end cap (retained by Titanium screws no less) which is removable to enable the silencer to be repacked.

I removed both the silencers and stripped one down. The removable end cap proved tricky to remove, such was the accuracy required when fabricating the two parts to ensure a gas tight seal between them, but after attaching the 2 titanium (what else ?) silencer clamps to the silencer body, I had something to hit with my best rubber mallet whilst I held the end cap/tailpipe assembly to enable me to separate the end cap from the body. Here's what I found (packing already removed) :

As can be seen, the “U” section :

slides over the two straight perforated sections and these in turn slide into two “stubs” formed from the inlet tube and the outlet (tailpipe) , thus enabling the perforated section to “float” and to allow the whole silencer to be stripped for re-packing.

The “U” bend has a nut welded to it :

which enables it to be attached to the end cap via one small 4mm titanium screw .

My guess is the cams in the Cup engine were setting up massive pressure waves within the silencers that were causing the end cases to resonate, after a while the perforated tubes loosened in their sleeves and proceeded to float excessively, and the more they loosened, the more easily they floated, to the point they started to hammer into the end cases.

I'd already taken the car to Joe Ellis at BTB to show him the issue, and he'd agreed to look into the problem. Removing the exhaust myself meant I didn't have to wait for a space in their “ramp schedule”

Joe kindly emailed me to tell me what he proposed to do to rectify the issue.
The end case would need some kind of additional bracing to stop it from resonating with the engine's firing pulses, and the “U” bend needed a more substantial method of attachment to the end cover :

And the end result :

The exhaust is now rattle/knock free.

As a footnote, Joe only charged me for the expensive packing material used to re-pack the silencers. I genuinely appreciate him fixing this problem FOC, bearing in mind the exhaust is now some 8 years old and I'm its third “owner”.
So a big thank you to both Joe and Will at BTB.

Last edited by Slippydiff on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been scant time to drive the car over the past three months, added to which the car went to the body shop for 2-3 weeks to have its bonnet and front bumper painted, and it's rear bumper replaced.

However, with the mercury rising to 32 degrees yesterday, I elected to take the car out for its first real/proper outing. A near 300 mile tour of N.Wales. I set off at 3.30pm and arrived home just before 11.00 ...
Driving review to follow.

Enjoy :

I'm often asked why I like Zanzibar so much as a colour ... Question

N.Wales could only be described as meltingly hot yesterday afternoon/evening, but the roads were largely quiet, and the Tarmac sticky Mr. Green

More images to follow.

abcarrera
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot sticky tarmac, deserted Welsh roads, blue skies! Sounds like heaven to me!
Great update on the car, loving hearing about the “Zanzicup’s” progress
I think it’s game on with Marky911’s thread 😉 photos look pretty good to me.

Enjoy the weather and the car.
👍👍

Gone but not forgotten
1998 996 C2
2005 987 Boxster S
2007 997 Turbo
1990 964 C2 Cabriolet
1995 993 C2 with factory RS rep kit.
1987 911 3.2 Carrera
1982 911 SC X 2
1981 924 Turbo X 2
1991 944 Turbo, S2 & S2 Cabriolet
1981 924 Carrera GT.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some further images of my Welsh hoon earlier this week. Those familiar with the roads of N.Wales will recognise the locations/roads.

To witness the full depth of my photographic ineptitude, feel free to right click on the images and left click "Open image in new tab" ..

By late afternoon/early evening, I found myself on the Evo Triangle. It's been a good 18 months since I last drove around the Triangle, and some of you will be aware that the local authority have installed average speed cameras on sections of the roads that form the Triangle after several fatalities in recent years.

Keeping to an average of 60mph in the ZanziCup wasn't easy, so I took to stopping frequently and taking numerous photos to decrease my average speed ... !!!

The sections of the Triangle which really count, are still NSL with no average speed cameras, and there are other roads in close vicinity that are as good as (and many, including me) would say are better. But I have many fond memories of time spent driving the Triangle at all times of the day, at various times of the week and in differnt season of the year, so it felt fitting to return there and see how the car handled the more testing parts of the now infamous Evo test route.

To those (in my experience, all too often Southern based) Porschephiles who say the UK's roads don't lend themselves to enjoying their cars, I'd say find yourself a good hotel (there are plenty up there) book yourself a room for a couple of nights, and go and explore the area midweek. You may be very pleasantly surprised ... Surprised

Diggermeister
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanzibar really suits the car - out in the strong daylight it looks stunning. Paul's done a good job there too!

I recognise a few of those bits of road, either from driving my own car or otherwise lugging MTBs in the van, en route to the (excellent) Antur Stiniog downhill trails near Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the ZanziCup! Will get the Humbug out to North Wales soon.

Alastair911sc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic write up! I completely agree with regards the available roads.

The UK roads may not be in the best condition always but some of the scenery and little routes available are just fantastic!

I live in Norway but keep my cars in the UK (Aberdeenshire). The early morning blasts across country or over to the West Coast of Scotland are some of the best in the world!

Last edited by Alastair911sc on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 am; edited 3 times in total

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippy, thorough attention to detail as usual with your car.

I'm surprised that BTB don't use tape over the perforated pipes, something that top end motorcycle exhaust manufacturers use. They tape across the perf to protect the wadding during early running with any new silencers, which burns off over time, but crucially, provides enough protection to allow the wadding to settle-in. The result is that the silencers when new are really quite loud, but as time passes, they get quieter and quieter.

Because the wadding hasn't been instantly exposed to either extreme heat, or exhaust pulses, it has time to 'burn-in'. The tell-tale signs of its use is very thin lock wire wrapped around the perf, which is there to hold the tape on long enough to avoid toasting the wadding. Strange, but true. Arrow in Italy were the first to do this I think.

We found out because a super bike we prepared failed static noise testing, so we called the exhaust supplier who explained what would happen. Sure enough, three races in, the bike got quieter and never required a single refill in a whole season of BSB.

Back on topic, your car just looks so right. It must be a hell of ride on the road too, n/a rocket-sled Cloud 9

Keep writing these reports old chap, they are much appreciated by all the drivers on here.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you, and as always it's good (and interesting) to hear how this kind of stuff should be done (correctly).
Joe at BTB said the wadding used in the silencers is horrendously expensive, but it’s also durable and thus worthwhile paying the extra for it...

Matt said he wouldn’t expect to find any wadding in the silencers once I’d stripped them down. But when the end covers came off, the wadding was completely intact and looked like new. The silencers had been clearly well packed.

When I stripped the silencer boxes on my black Manthey car, the thin wire around the perforated tubes was evident .... alas none of the wadding was !! Actually, the missing wadding was a bonus, the car sounded amazing !! Smile

Apologies for not having contacted you, it’s been a busy few months. We need to get you in the passenger seat of the ZanziCup, I’ll PM to discuss ingress and egress with the welded-in cage in place.

Last edited by Slippydiff on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subscribed again Thumb

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

Marky911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be good. Cool

Thanks Henry, praise indeed. Your pics are cracking so far and even if they weren’t the content is superb.
I simply substitute quality, material upgrades for pictures of irrelevant parts. Grin

I tell you what mind, how good does it look in this pic!

Couldn’t agree more with your sentiments re people saying we can’t use them. You’re blessed with those roads on your doorstep and we don’t do too badly up here. There’s still plenty of time left before these cars become pointless on the road.

I’m looking forward to a suspension instalment H, as I know you’ll leave no stone unturned.
Can’t help noticing it’s sitting lower than you usually have them for road use.
I’m guessing it’s too your liking though, or will you be experimenting a bit more as time allows?

Superb content in the various threads about the car. The GT forum on here is one of the slower moving ones eh, but as Mike says the people who are interested are really interested, so keep the updates coming as time allows.

Great input Mike. I’d never heard of that. I love this forum for little nuggets of info like that.

That was some proper old skool customer service from the BTB boys mind. Highly commendable.

I may make a trip down sometime Henry to see and hear the car in person.
It would be good to get a few cars together for a Wales weekday road run. No hooliganism, just some spirited driving with a pleasant lunch stop etc.
A social rather than an endurance challenge. Wink

We’ll have to make it happen sometime. Thumb

infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed, I'm partial to a bit of DIY fettling.

Zanzibar is such a great colour for the 996.1, suits the jelly mould shape very well.

coullstar
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car is just so right, especially with those wheels.
Making me question aero kit again, RS vents in the front work well IMO.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many kind comments guys, they're much appreciated.

Marcus : As I said in my PM to you, I really couldn't have been happier with Paul's work on the paintwork. I'm incredibly grateful to you for the recommendation. I look forward to a N.Wales meet (ditto with you Mark)

Mark : Front ride height is slightly lower than I'd normally run, though the angle the car is on, is probably loading the N/S suspension and make it appear lower than it really is. The rear ride height needs to be further reduced, but I'll explain that more fully when I do my write up on the suspension ...

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiiiccceee and good thread.

I said it before, in a way I was glad that there wasn’t any Zanzibar for sale when I was looking for a GT3, otherwise it would have been been a difficult head (Mk2) vs heart (Zanzibar) decision. My favourite Mk1 colour and very rare too (8 UK cars IIRC?); I’m surprised the colour wasn’t more popular then as it was the ‘launch colour’.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y2K wrote:
Niiiiiiccceee and good thread.

I said it before, in a way I was glad that there wasn’t any Zanzibar for sale when I was looking for a GT3, otherwise it would have been been a difficult head (Mk2) vs heart (Zanzibar) decision. My favourite Mk1 colour and very rare too (8 UK cars IIRC?); I’m surprised the colour wasn’t more popular then as it was the ‘launch colour’.

Mark knows about that quandary all too well, he’s probably done the right thing in owning both now !!

Back in the good old days the Titanic website listed 9 official UK Zanzibar Mk 1’s.
Regrettably I killed one up in Scotland back in 2011, another was shunted heavily at Brands ? then shunted heavily again on the road IIRC ? It’s now a Cat C but was put back on the road and subsequently fitted with air suspension, a somewhat ignominious end for the seminal watercooled GT car.

It’s definitely a divisive colour, and quite difficult to photograph to get a true rendition of the hue. It really pops in bright sunlight such as that we’ve had these last few days (the large amounts of gold pearl become very obvious) but in dull, overcast conditions it looks very flat and doesn’t pop at all, if you think of the colour of the baked beans (not the sauce) when you open a tin of Heinz finest, you’ll not be a million miles off, in truth it looks a strange colour in dull, cloudy weather. This picture of an A4 Avant (Audi called it India Red) probably most accurately depicts it :

Out on the road the seems to garner a lot of positive comments from both males and females alike Smile

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Suspension

With the rear bumper removed and the exhaust off, I started spanner checking the rear suspension and inspecting the recently installed Ohlins dampers along with their remote canisters and hoses, to make sure they weren't fouling.

With the N/S/R wheel off, I noticed what looked like newly formed fine metallic particles on the rear brake caliper. Further inspection revealed one of the remote cannister's adjusters had been fouling on the new rear spring :

Bearing in mind the rear springs were brand new, and the dampers had just been rebuilt after I lent them to an individual who wrote his car off whilst they were fitted to it (doing considerable considerable damage to two of them in the process) I wasn't best pleased.

The location of the rear canisters and the reason for the N/S/R canister adjuster subsequently fouling the rear spring, requires some further explanation.

The car has pretty much the complete Elephant Racing suspension catalogue fitted in the shape of their adjustable (via threaded adjusters) lower control/coffin arms, their adjustable rear dog bone kit, adjustable castor arms front and rear, Cup adjustable rear toe arms, and their bumpsteer adjustable steering rack outer tie rods.

Matt had elected to fit the front remote canisters to the top of the front hub carriers/uprights (more of which later) and the rears to the trailing dog bone arms.

I wasn't overly concerned about the rears being fitted to the dogbones, but his decision to mount the fronts no more than an inch from what would be the high temperatures of the front discs and calipers, seemed "questionable" and raised my eyebrows.

The location of the front canisters was however somewhat forced upon us by another factor, that being the previous owner having fitted HID kits to both the dip and main beams of the headlights. Clearly this introduced a lot of additional wiring and the two ballasts into each headlamp. Unfortunately the fitment of the HID kits was sub-optimal.

When this set of Ohlins dampers were fitted to my previous Manthey car, it only had HID's fitted to the dip beam, and the manner in which they'd been fitted, left plenty of room for the remote canisters in the void behind the headlamp assemblies. Long and short, the only place for the canisters on this car now was on top of the front hub carriers allegedly.

Meanwhile back to the rear canisters ...
The Ohlins were substituted for the JRZ's and the geometry/ride heights were then checked. When Matt came to set the geo, he found a lot of the various Elephant Racing rose/spherical bearings were seized or worn.

I subsequently received a phone call from him saying the whole lot needed chucking in the bin and replacing with standard GT3 or Motorsport Department supplied parts. Knowing what these cost, I headed down to Silverstone smartish ... !!

The two piece adjustable front coffin arms work out at approx £1100 a pair (the rears are cheaper being non-adjustable) the rear dog bones (X 4) were £450, the castor arms (X4) £600 and the steering rack tie rods (X2) £160.

I suggested that it'd be cheaper to remove the existing arms and overhaul them, than bin them all and buy new OE items. So an afternoon was spent removing all the suspension arms, and either freeing them off or replacing the necessary Rose joints and spherical bearings as necessary.

This was what we found upon removing the protective rubber boots on the majority of the Rose joints :

And the spherical bearings fared little better :

Several visits to Trident Racing Supplies (fortunately they're right next door to Fearnsport, and lovely chaps to deal with) and a wallet considerable lighter, saw the necessary replacement bearing and joints purchased (Trident Racing seem to stock pretty much everything) and assembled into the old arms.

I should mention we left the rubber boots off the majority of the joints and bearings when we reassembled them. I have a theory as to why the joints and bearings had corroded and seized so badly and at such a low mileage.

Firstly the bearings are poor quality items, secondly the various joints and bearings most likely get hot in operation. When they cool down condensation forms inside the rubber boots and on the joints/bearings themselves. This condensation has no way of escaping, and rapidly causes the poor quality bearings and their housings to corrode. So now they're running exposed to the elements, albeit well lubricated (which no doubt attracts dust and dirt)

Note to self, these allegedly trick arms neatly provide a no-win situation ... Out

All joking aside, if you want upgraded arms/suspension components, find someone who's able to buy off Porsche Motorsport directly, and use their parts, they're race proven. End of.

A further note, of the two spherical bearings in those very trick (and utterly pointless) bumpsteer adjustable, "revised/improved" geometry steering rack outer toe arms, one had seized solid (always good for steering feel that) and it was also stopping the suspension from articulating freely. The other meanwhile was worn and thus had play in it at static ride height. Both went in the bin when ERP told me they didn't supply replacement spherical bearings for the arms, but they would happily give me 15% discount on a new pair of arms Out Suffice to say I didn't accept their kind offer, and they were replaced with OE factory parts ...

So with the suspension now free to articulate properly and without rattling around like pr*ck in a shirt sleeve, the ride heights and geo could finally be set.

This was duly done and Matt road tested the car proclaiming it steered perfectly, but he thought the newly built Ohlins were "a bit stiff". Question

I collected the car from Silverstone and whilst driving it home noted a grinding noise on a couple of occasions when pulling away from traffic lights and road junctions on lock, ie when loading the diff and rear suspension up.

I assumed that it was the handbrake shoes poorly adjusted and
/or binding.
Whilst subsequent investigations showed my initial summation was correct, it wasn't the handbrake making this particular noise, rather it was the now freed off/freshly fitted spherical bearings in the rear dogbones, allowing the arms to articulate/rotate fully when under load. In the process it had allowed the adjuster on the rear canister to rub on the rear coil spring.

In trying to spin the coil spring around to view the damage to the powder coating, I noticed that with the suspension on full droop, the spring was free to rattle around (though I hasten to add, not to the degree it could be displaced from its spring perches) though still a good 10mm.

I'd thought the rear height “curiously high” but figured it was all part of getting the correct rake on the car's set up. But a quick measuring session with a tape measure indicated the N/S to O/S rear ride heights differed by 12 mm …. Question

As can be seen from this image the rear ride height is excessively high (this isn't far off where I'd chosen to run my previous Mk1 GT3's, and as Chris at GG says, for a road car, compliance is king, and the best way to build in compliance is increase your ride heights and suspension travel) and with the front ride heights possibly 8-10 mm too low and the rear being waaay too high, the car looks slightly strange.

During my drive home it had felt like the rear of the car was rather “flapping about in the breeze” at speed and under heavy braking, the reason why now started to make more sense.

Of course trying to lower the car any further, would have meant that at full droop the rear springs would have zero preload at all, on the contrary, there'd probably be 10mm + of slack between the spring and its seat, and in a hump back bridge taken at speed scenario, the rear springs could become displaced from their perches, or do damage to the damper bodies.

This issue had arisen because when the one rear damper was effectively written off when the individual I'd lent the dampers too, crashed the car. The damper was torn off the car and the one rear spring lost somewhere in the English countryside.

When the dampers were rebuilt, a replacement rear spring was ordered from Ohlins, but they informed us they no longer produced them.

BG at Silverstone thus had to supply a new pair of Eibach springs with the same rating. Alas they were a differing spring design to the Ohlins items, and thus their free length was considerably shorter (as in 2” shorter) I was aware of this. Matt wasn't, but rather than ask me, he elected to compromise the ride height to avoid the springs becoming displaced at full droop.

The original Ohlins springs that are NLA (note they extend all the way down to the anti-roll bar drop link bracket locking collar) :

And the replacement Eibach springs that are at least 3” shorter (the anti roll-roll bar bracket is in pretty much the same position in relation to the bottom damper mount :

This meant removing the rear dampers and stripping the top mounts off them to fit a pair of helper/tender springs to enable the car to be lowered and stop the springs becoming displaced at full droop …
Those of you that have removed the rear dampers on a 996/997 with a Clubsport cage and bucket seats fitted, will know this is a royal PITA, especially for 55 year old whose exercise regime is non-existent.

Note to self, stop being such a lazy git Grin For the record, I now do Pilates three times a week thumbsup And if you saw my Pilates instructor, you'd know why … Grin

However I digress, off the rear Ohlins came and on them went a pair of these ridiculously expensive little blighters :

Fitted :

I'm useless at working out the ratio the wheel/ride height moves from one turn of the spring perch, so I winged it and took 8 turns off one side and 12 off the other. The rear ride heights are now only 7mm out from side to side, and the rear ride heights are both 10-11 mm lower.

Of course lowering the car 10mm messes up both the camber and toe curves too. Again, I can never remember whether lowering increases or decreases rear toe in, but judging by how the car now feels, I'd suggest it reduces the rear toe in (ie it's now closer to parallel or possibly slightly toeing out)

Either way, the car needs the rear ride heights equalising/dropping another 6-8 mm, the front ride heights raising by 6-8mm and the front and rear toe/camber adjusting accordingly.

After refitting the rear dampers, I also adjusted the position of the rear canisters on the dog bones …

As I worked through the various facets of the car, be they suspension, brakes, exhaust, i came across and addressed various other chassis based issues on the car, be they missing, broken, butchered arch liners, securing clips, screws, washers, rivets etc etc.

Having removed the JRZ's we discovered the comedians who'd fitted them had chosen to ignore the fact that JRZ had thoughtfully and conveniently fitted quick-release, dry-break couplings in the lines to the remote canisters.
The bodies of the dry-break couplings were no more than 20mm diameter and the canisters had been located inside the car on the rear cage.

So what would you have done, got a 20mm holesaw or taper cutter and drilled/cut some neat, small holes just sufficient to allow the couplings through ?

Dick Chambellend and his Merry bunch of muppets obviously thought "Nah, go big or go home "

Result ? A near 90mm hole in each inner flitch/wheelarch that required filling.
I mean, why would you ???

Anyway, I asked Matt to cover them temporarily whilst I found the necessary grommets to blank them off in a more OE looking manner.

A special request was placed with Jeff Bezos and he had one of his many chaffeurs deliver a pack of 4 of these directly to my front door, all the way from China :

Fits like a glove :

A liberal application of this brushable seam sealer :

brushed out to make it look as factory as possible, along with a coat of Zanzibar Red base coat, made for a far more OE looking, watertight, corrosion resistant pair of inner rear wheel arches :

You can't normally see these as they're covered by the lower part of the plastic arch liners.

Next up, the front suspension (and I think we can all agree on just how important good front end suspension is)

Last edited by Slippydiff on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

Pip1968
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Slippydiff"]

Loved the finish to this. The world of PC and HSE will be the death of us all Very Happy .

It actually reminded me of the scenic route I take back from the Nordschleife. The last part on rural roads heads along an old Roman road (or possibly one built by the Wehrmacht). Anyway its only just inside Belgium and used to be concrete slabs with plenty of wear and tear (it was best to take the white line in the middle - possibly Monschauer Strasse /N67). It goes through the Eifel national park and before resurfacing used to give me great entertainment watching my wife's appendage out of control (you are probably not allowed to say that either).

I was always told to slow down........

Pip
Ps well done Henry for keeping the British end up Wink

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Peter, I hope you’re well ? An ex of mine had large appendages too, I delighted in witnessing them doing their thing when ensconced in a tight T shirt when I drove the car over less than smooth roads Grin It took her some time to work out why I found such roads so amusing. Luckily she never told me to slow down. Happy days Smile

Daniel
Donnington
Donnington

2000 Porsche 996 GT3 Mk1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worship

Looking and bet sounding epic!

Love these kind of topics. A GT3 meeting sounds like a plan Thumb

EX VR993 - C4
EX 993 - C2
EX GT3 996.1
EX Cayman 3.4 S 987.1
EX Megane R26R #36.
EX Cayman R

The return of Marty Wild
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading these threads makes me think about chucking it all in and taking up knitting.

How are we supposed to compete with some of the guys on here with their amazing cars and insane technical prowess.

Thumb

Boxster S 986.1
Cayman S 987.1 (gone but not forgotten)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: