Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC stone chips advice needed!

AA3751

So in the process of buying a low mileage 911.2 from an OPC and the car has a few stone chips on the front bonnet. It's done 10k miles. I would say around 5-8 stone chips? The more noticeable ones will be touched in

At which point should they be respraying the car ? Is this acceptable/a normal amount of wear from an OPC prepped car? My question to them is going to be if I traded the car in as is, would it warrant a front end respray.....

I can't answer your question, but I'm really glad I had mine PPF'd. In terms of stone chips, the worst area for me so far has been in front of the rear wheels. I know because the PPF marked up quite a bit, but the detailer has been able to remove them using a special compound and polishing them out of the film.

But the biggest saving will be the front bumper. Something flew off the car in front as I was joining the M60 a few weeks ago and hit my front bumper. I feared the worst, but the PPF did it's job. And although there's a slight scuff that can't be polished out, it's certainly better than what the damage would have been to the paint work.

I can highly recommend Nick and Dean at Cleandetail in Doncaster, if anyone wants PPF, or any detailing done. They did a great job on mine, and when there was a slight issue with a strip on the roof, they went above and beyond in putting it right.

Prep will vary from OPC to OPC. I wouldn't want them repainting the front, but that's my just preference.

Assume any minor imperfections when they are selling will become an expensive correction job when you come to trade it in.

i bought mine with 13k on the clock and got OPC to repaint both bonnet and bumper due to 5-6 chips or it was no deal.....

Car dealers can be cheeky. You trade a car and they say, oh it's got chips and wheel rash, that's going to cost me thousands to put right, so only can offer you this much. Same car appears on the forecourt with none of that work done :dont know:

Hi,

When I sold my Cayenne S back to OPC to PX for my Macan Turbo, there were 2 tiny stone chips on the bonnet and they told me that Porsche wouldn't let them sell a car without it being being perfect and it would have to be resprayed.

We came to an arrangement but tell them it has to be done. And car that has been resprayed by a Porsche approved pro should be as good as new.

Cheers,
Paul

Result... they are respraying the front bumper! Bonnet has 1 x chip on it so this will be touched in which is fine

Thanks for the advice

You'll inevitably pick up loads anyway, don't worry about it!

OPC being a bit cheeky?

I am sure they factor in a front bumper respray as a matter of course in their trade in valuation.

Tell them to get it sorted...... :judge:

Part of the Porsche approved set up is paint rectification, may vary from OPC to OPC but both times I have bought from Chester they made the car perfect before selling to me as approved used, couldn't fault their preparation.

ukrr said:
Any views on ppf once the front has been resprayed?

My view on PPF is -

If the car is new and £100k plus then yes, a £3k investment to keep the car protected if you are likely to own for a few years is well worth it.

If the car is 4 plus years old and around £60k then no, you are throwing £3k down the drain to look after the car for the next owners.

Each to their own but IMHO get out and just enjoy the thing!

ukrr said:
Any views on ppf once the front has been resprayed?

My advice would be to have it done straight away (well within a few days) - provided the respray has been done professionally at a Porsche body shop and been baked, there should be no problems if/when the time comes to remove/replace the film (problems with removal only tend to apply to poorly executed smart repairs or attempts to remove the film without getting any heat into the panel beforehand).

I've had several cars protected with PPF now and had my 991 done straight after the front end was resprayed by the supplying OPC as part of the deal - saves having to worry about fresh paint and with the modern self healing film, minor impacts or scratches can be smoothed out.

I thought there was a 6 week window to allow the paint to cure tonite full hardness?

FZP said:
I thought there was a 6 week window to allow the paint to cure tonite full hardness?

Only if the paint hasn't been baked and still needs to cure - if the paint has been baked then you can apply film within a few days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back