Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alternative to Dension unit - Android compatible

CarreraMonkey

Mugello
Like many I fitted a Dension unit a couple of years ago as that was really all that was available and they work.

However they don't stream music from Android phones, just iphones and that always pissed me off. But it gave me hands free calling, so I put up with it.

Lately been thinking about replacing it and looking at options like the Dynavin PCM replacement, but still balk at £900+ for one.

Anyway. Spotted this on ebay and thought 'what the hell - worth a try!'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetoot...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Disconneted the Dension, plugged it straight into the Dension cables and immediately it worked. I now have streaming music from my Android phone.

Also came with all the optic cables including the phone unit loop, which the Dension didn't and had to be purchased at another £20 on top.

Well worth the money if you have a Dension and an Android phone and a 3rd of the price of a Dension if you are starting out.

I'll pass my Dension and the new box's fitting kit onto a mate who is an apple fan, as its junk to me.

You might wish to swop this unit completely for something a little more upto date technology wise.

There is the Dynavin which uses its own software (operating system) and is frankly pants.

Then there is the "Xtrons" unit which is Android but has no physical buttons and looks nothing like an OEM unit.

Lastly, there is the HL-8815 unit which is OEM looking and also Android for around £360

Ive fitted x2 of these in my previous Boxsters and have coincidentally just bought another one for my 997

http://www.iceboxauto.com/porsche-911-997-boxter-cayman-2005-2008-android-51-hl-8816gb

You can also get them on Ebay...

I absolutely loved my previous units.

That android unit looks decent. I'd be tempted to respect the climate control surround and do the AC buttons at the same time.

Presumably having Bose I'd need a MOST adaptor or some kind as well... any recommendations on one?

villaman said:
You might wish to swop this unit completely for something a little more upto date technology wise.

There is the Dynavin which uses its own software (operating system) and is frankly pants.

Then there is the "Xtrons" unit which is Android but has no physical buttons and looks nothing like an OEM unit.

Lastly, there is the HL-8815 unit which is OEM looking and also Android for around £360

Ive fitted x2 of these in my previous Boxsters and have coincidentally just bought another one for my 997

http://www.iceboxauto.com/porsche-911-997-boxter-cayman-2005-2008-android-51-hl-8816gb

You can also get them on Ebay...

I absolutely loved my previous units.

Hadn't seen that android unit - just the crazy priced dynavin unit. But that looks good value. With this new box, I'll stick with the oem pcm, no need to upgrade again for the time being, but well worth knowing about the Android unit - hows the radio quality etc as I've had nothing but problems with the radio in chinese android head units in the past? Also, does it work OK with Bose systems? Does it need a special loom / converter?

All useful info for others looking to do the same thing.

Hertsdriver said:
It's a good unit if you want to retain the pcm. You don't need the Dension at all now you have this, so you might as well take it out and sell it :thumb:

I removed the dension at the time of fitting the new unit. It uses all the same cables, so was a straight swap of boxes. Have passed on the Dension unit to a mate who has an iphone

Hi

Didn't really use the stereo a lot..it seemed OK..you can get a DAB varint.

What I can say is the performance is good and the beauty of Android is you get so many app. options for Navigation, music playing..i even put Angry birds on for when i got stuck in traffic.

I remember watching Blade Runner whilst waiting for my some once on the DVD..very good with the car speaks...

As I say..ive just ordered one for my 997 as Id had them in my Boxster's (987's)

villaman said:

I assume this one is just an upgrade of the one you've linked to?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVD-GPS-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I assume at the end of it you have a functional CD player and radio, with your phone linked to the unit by bluetooth for your telephone/music library/maps functions?

Thanks for any help. Seriously looking at one these for my 997.1 and already have a potential installer lined up.

Yes there seems to be a number of variants and options.

On the Icebox site they have at least 2 at different prices..I think it's down to the spec and Amdroie version....give them a call.

Yes I streamed from my phone via Bluetooth and also used the SD card slot.

As mentioned,..I've just brought a unit which arrived Monday..I'll try to fit it this weekend if I get my car back...currently sorting a coolant leak and replacement CATS.......if I do I'll upload some pics.

tony_i said:
villaman said:
if I do I'll upload some pics.

That would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :thumbs:

Alas...car still at garage having the exhaust sorted..so it'll be next weekend..but i'll take some pics beofre, during and after...maybe a video too !

villaman said:
tony_i said:
villaman said:
if I do I'll upload some pics.

That would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :thumbs:

Alas...car still at garage having the exhaust sorted..so it'll be next weekend..but i'll take some pics beofre, during and after...maybe a video too !

Great. Look forward to them.

Just installed mine today in place of the Tranzit Blu that I had previously and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I installed mine next to the CD changer as I don't like using the phone while driving so won't need to route the microphone into the cabin. It also means less faffing around with getting the MOST loop in the correct order.

First thoughts are that the sound quality is better than the Tranzit and the slightly tighter integration with the PCM is welcome. The other very welcome feature is that I can now skip forward AND back with the PCM controls. Also, because I had my Tranzit powered from an ignition switched source, I don't have a sudden blast of static now when I turn off the engine.

All in all, very happy with the upgrade.

Attachments

• img_20190803_173235_226.jpg
    img_20190803_173235_226.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,363

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back