Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spark plug tubes - or not?

Coedlan

I appear to have oil leaking from a spark plug. However, my boxster is a 2003 2.7 and I cannot determine whether the engine has replaceable tubes or not. Porsche opc were happy to sell me some plastic tubes, but admitted when asked that they weren't listed for my car, checked by vin number. Nobody in the workshop was sure!
A bit of research seems to show that the plastic tubes were changed for a metal tube for 2003 onward?
Does this arrangement have a seal that is replaceable with the engine in the car. Does anybody have a 'how to" guide? Everything I see in forums or pelican guides etc, relates to earlier cars with plastic replaceable tubes.
Any advice appreciated

I think after 2002 on they changed most of the engines to a similar set up and I would guess you don't have plastic spark plug tubes. Also if the parts diagram says you don't need them you probably don't.

the new set up uses seals onto the tappet carrier and will require the cam cover removing to replace them, if it is just a top seal you can do it easily, if the bottom O ring is leaking the cams need to come out.

Also double check it is the spark plug area, it could just as easily be the vario cam solenoids if you indeed have them, its a common place for oil leaks?

One sure fire way to find out what you have is remove a coil pack, either cylinder 3 or 6 as these are the easiest to get to, you will then see the plastic tube or not.

Thanks, I changed the plugs a year ago, but didn't notice the type of tube they were in. As you say, I'll get under and have a look

infrasilver

:agree:

It may well just be oil leaking past a single cam bolt .. see what's damp and if is around a bolt , then undo it .. clean and cover in engine grade silicone on the threads and refit .

Well, all is revealed.....
Firstly, the plug tubes are metal and it looks like the seals are not replaceable without removing the cam cover.
However, I've found the leak
I've got a hole in the cam cover, just above no1 plug. A while back, I had a very loud ticking noise, that mysteriously stopped with a clunk, as I was videoing the sound. Looks like some part of the cam tensioner, must've let go, ticked for a while and then bust out of the cam cover.
Attached is a picture showing the hole. Tried uploading the video of the clunk, but can't.

On a positive note :sad: this hole is likely the source of my intermittent 'lean mixture bank 1 and bank 2"

Attachments

• 8fc2ce1d_4925_4ee8_bcd2_bd434e75abd2_354.jpeg
    8fc2ce1d_4925_4ee8_bcd2_bd434e75abd2_354.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,389

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back