Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Let's talk about wheels , 997 wheels

me&my997

I'm like a magpie when it comes to wheels , no matter the car i find myself with 2-3-4 sets on the go so with my C4 arriving on sport design 19s i decided to track down a set of lobster claws , now stripped of gash rubber ( the guy i bought them off with a C4S had 3 different tyres on them :dont know: 2 fronts were Sunny budgets :eek: )
Anyway collected them yesterday after a acid bath & powdercoat , https://www.instagram.com/p/B0FkO0spFoI/ couldn't be happier with the finish but the most noticeable thing was the weight of these :eek: really surprised how little they weigh by comparison to say a genuine 19inch BMW CSL wheel
Does anyone know which of the OE wheels were lighter / heavier than the others or are they all similar ?

I believe the Turbo 1 wheels are the lightest non GT wheel.

It's one of my things on the to do list, is to get a set of lobster claws. I think they're the best looking standard wheel on a 997. :thumbs:

Not sure what the wheels are called on mine, but I'm not a big fan of them.

Attachments

• 96870fc6_f386_4747_8c6a_1349d68a89b6_687.jpeg
    96870fc6_f386_4747_8c6a_1349d68a89b6_687.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 7,603
FZP said:

I think the lightest non GT wheels are actually these...

410460d1262567297-997-2-09-carrera-s-wheel-offsets-carrera-s-ii-wheels.jpg

Gray79 said:

Those are the Porsche Classic Wheels. I really like them :)

4207-xl.jpg

apollokre1d said:
FZP said:

I think the lightest non GT wheels are actually these...

410460d1262567297-997-2-09-carrera-s-wheel-offsets-carrera-s-ii-wheels.jpg

Gray79 said:

Those are the Porsche Classic Wheels. I really like them :)

4207-xl.jpg

I agree ... The Classics are a nice wheel , much better looking than the 'Lobster Claw' type .... I think they were far too chunky looking ....

For the number crunchers i just weighed the lobster claws ( without tyres )

These are C4 spec so rear C2 would presumably be lighter

front 9.7kg / 21lbs

rear 12.4kg / 27lbs

to compare a genuine set of CSL 19s i had on a Z4M were 28lbs front (8.5j) & 30lbs rear (9.5j)

Sorry to be a pedant !! but the wheels are correctly known as "lobster fork" not lobster claw, as they closely resemble the shape of the implement used to eat lobster ie. a lobster fork. They don't look anything like a lobster claw !!
And yes my car does have "Lobster fork" wheels and yes I do eat lobster with a lobster fork !!! :lol:

Despite that, they are known as lobster claws or just lobsters.

Magic919 said:
Despite that, they are known as lobster claws or just lobsters.

I guess I just like to have things correct !! a bit like some call a "Porsche" a porker which makes me cringe a little !!

robro911 said:
Sorry to be a pedant !! but the wheels are correctly known as "lobster fork" not lobster claw, as they closely resemble the shape of the implement used to eat lobster ie. a lobster fork. They don't look anything like a lobster claw !!
And yes my car does have "Lobster fork" wheels and yes I do eat lobster with a lobster fork !!! :lol:

When i told a Porsche owning pal i was rejoining the 911uk forum he said " i wouldn't bother " , " there are some proper knobs on there " :oops: looks like he was right :lol:

robro911 said:

I'd never heard the term 'lobster fork' before so I googled it and found that it seems to be a term used on American Porsche Forums.

Using the 911uk Search forum function the words lobster AND fork threw up 3 threads using the term including this one.

Using the words lobster AND claw threw up 78 threads.

In the UK I'd suggest that 'lobster claw' is the recognised term. :judge:

robro911 said:

Nowt wrong with being a pedant, but it pays to ensure you are right before correcting others :hand:
Anyhoo... back to best wheels. These are clear leaders for me:
https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...ort-wheel-115J-x-19-ET50-for-C4C4STurbo/15600

I like 'lobster fork'! Right or wrong it seems to make more sense to me!
Rick

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back