Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

just cut out

markv8

Silverstone
hi all ,
today my 2002 targa just cut out , recovered back to my lock up and tested fuel pump ok I found C2
30A
IGNITION, INJECTION, HEATER OXYGEN SENSORS fuse blown and just keeps blowing , any one had this before , before I get the megger out rgds mark

quick update , no mechanical issues just loads of fault codes p0300 - p0301 -p0305 -p0264 p0261 - p0273 - p0037 - p0270 - p0276 - p0057 - p0267 -
and the blowing fuse , any pointers on what would cut the motor rgds Mark

You have a lot going on there with misfires and the lambda heater fault .. i need to spend a bit of time researching this .. a wiring fault is the most obvious atm but it will take me a bit of time to have a go on this problem .

its late now but i'll have time tomorrow afternoon to research this so bear with me .

or perhaps someone else will answer in the meantime :)

either way i'll look in detail tomorrow .

Thanks for your reply ,car ran fine up until today , just had new cps fitted no mice or rats in lock up , just lots of codes thanks again for your time rgds Mark

It would be worth checking continuity between the engine wiring loom plugs and the CPS connector, see if you are getting any voltage to the plug, IIRC it should be 5 volts?

I had a broken wire that started to get worse until one day it just failed, a new CPS didn't fix it and it was traced to a broken wire going across the engine which had to have a new wire soldered in.

thanks for replies , going to get car in the air and have a look , I think half the codes just logged as it failed it went down on some cylinders and felt rough then check engine light then died , I checked fuel pump when I got it back that's ok more tomorrow with demorts findings should have some where to start , quite interesting actually , I deal with MVB faults all day at work now I have one maybe,, anyway the outcome will be posted on here so that if anyone else suffers the same it might be able to help rgds Mark

Just cut out

My son senae of humour made me laugh

Attachments

• img_20190720_wa0000_164.jpg
    img_20190720_wa0000_164.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 2,901
Thanks for taking time out to look into this i will wait for your findings . My next step was to start disconnecting wiring plugs then check fuse

Ok then .. long post i feel ..

Fault codes
P0300 / general misfire seen
P0301 / Misfire on cyl 1
P0305 / Misfire on cyl 5
P0264 / Fuel injector cyl 2 below limit
p0261 / Fuel injector cyl 1 below limit
p0273 / Fuel injector cyl 5 below limit
p0037 / Ho2s heater circuit low .. no voltage i expect.
p0270 / Fuel injector cyl 4 below limit
p0267 / Fuel injector cyl 3 below limit
p0057 / Ho2s heater circuit low .. again no voltage i expect .

The only fuel injector not listed is no. 6 !

Basically these will all be consistent with the fuse C2 blowing other than the first 2 .. misfires .. strange we didnt get more misfires but i'm guessing there was a limit to what the dme could see as it died .

What could cause it though ...

well we have a fuse that keeps blowing that powers the coils , the injectors and the heater circuit of the lambda sensors .

Any one of these could have an internal short circuit to earth and cause it as could the feed wire to anyone of these be shorted out .

A visual check of each is needed and possibly unplugging every item .. at that point it's pining out all the wiring for the power side to each item for a short .. you would have to unplug Every item to do this test or you will just get a back feed via one of the other items .

relay pos 2 term 87 to each component .

I have a slight hunch .. or at least somewhere for you to start ..

It's a Targa .. let's say i know them rather well .. they leak and one main place they leak is at the rear drains .. this works its way forward soaking the carpet as it goes ..

The Dme and indeed the relay support is in the line of fire here .. fold down the rear seats ..

Pull out the carpet behind them .. pull in the center and up .. it pushes under the side quarter panels ..

Undo the x5 10 mm nuts and pull up the ally panels .

You know have access to the dme and the relay panel .. any water damage ?

The relay that powers everything is pos 2 in that board .. if you pull that , replace the fuse then you can see if it blows .. if not then we are onto some item or wiring engine bay side shorting out as first mentioned above .

also .. unrelated to a degree but look under the passenger seat .. alarm control unit is there .. make sure it's all nice and dry .

What info do you have to fault find .. diagrams etc ?

Pm me what you might need and ill see if i can find anything .

Time for a beer methinks .. fingers hurt after this post :p

Thanks for that car is bone dry not a drop as its garaged rats or mice not here wiring diagram would help if you have one 2002 3.6 targa will start the testing tomorrow and let you know rgds mark

Firstly thanks to DeMort for taking time out to have a look into my cars problems , So i removed the air box and disconected the 02 sensors first , they were the easiest , the fuse still blew , knowing that fuse C2 protects ignition, 02 heaters , injectors , I made my way underneath to the coil packs , removed the heat shields and on inspection found two cases cracked and one coil pack melted This would coincide with the misfire reported on the DME I removed the plug on the coil and replaced the fuse and it held so I fired it up and hey presto 5 cylinders , so I need 6 new coil packs , not to bad a job just fiddly ,so who,s doing the best deal on coil packs ,, rgds Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back