Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starter Motor .. Again!

ballcock

Paul Ricard
... though I shouldn't complain, I last changed the starter motor in '08 !

But it's most likely on the blink again, failing to turn over when hot, but working fine once cool.

My question is, where's the best place to go for the motor, and best brand?
I went ECP and Bosch last time, are there other options?

And by the way, the price has more than doubled since last time. :roll:

Starter Motor

Had mine changed in May as occasionally it just clicked and was getting worse. Probably the solenoid but I'm not sure you can get just that part. Unless you can repair the solenoid yourself it's most likely cheaper just to have a new motor fitted.

Looked on ECP/CarParts4Less and possibly a few other sites but was confused as there seemed to be more than one for my model.

The Indie got three types delivered as he didn't know either until he took the old one out. Fortunately, he's got a sale or return agreement; not sure we'd have the same arrangement, so unless you are confident of the type fitted to yours, be careful before ordering!

Price, if I remember, was something around £500 but he let me have it at his price, in the region of £300.

Hi,

I found on the net a company that does refurbished units, both Starter motors and Alternators :

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=110986&highlight=starter+motor plus

Another post for Starter Motor issues for you :thumb:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=107248&highlight=starter+motor

One of the members on here actually followed up and ordered and paid for an Alternator and all went well for him.

http://www.sahibs.com/ (no affiliation by the way)

Got to be worth a call, they are showing an exchange unit for £142.40

http://www.sahibs.com/products/sae/S1427.html

Good luck.

ATB :)

Out of interest have you changed the bare earth strap from the battery terminal to the body ?

Outside chance but I had issues with the 964 that I'd get nothing when warm sometimes. Completely dead as if a big draw on the battery was compromised by weak earth. I changed the old neg earth strap and no further issues :dont know:

My starter motor is fine when cold, once warm appears to kick out too early if that makes sense and then takes a few attempts to start, not great but more of an irritation than a real problem..............so far

I think it may just need a good clean

Williams Crawford quoted 1156 plus VAT for the Porsche unit and around £300 for Bosch and 150 for Hella, not sure about a core charge

Please let us know how you get on

Thanks all for the replies,
Yes Zingo I've changed my batt earth strap in the last few years, and the battery came up to charge fine after I'd plugged it back into the conditioner so it's most likely the starter.

wilsonny said:
design911 sell a new Bosch unit (not exchange) at a reasonable price.. its the same unit as for 996 and later.. fits perfect and is slightly shorter and lighter so fitting is significantly easier. turns over mega quick.
Thanks for the info.

1. Are there any drawbacks whatsoever of it being 'slightly shorter?
2. BOSCH unit is £285+VAT, HELLA unit is £150+VAT: is it fair to assume BOSCH would've been the original Porsche supplier?
3. Any idea how many hours it would take an indy to remove/fit?

For info,I've ordered (reluctantly) from ECP ..
Bosch Starter motor .. With discount , £200 odd, plus £168 core exchange fee.

@ ch3tman, Bosch were the OE supplier.
I've been told its a bit of a b1tch to swap out as it sits on top of the gearbox (?) and has to be removed by Braille :p so expect a few hours labour.

Apparently the position of the motor makes it one of the few weak points of the 993. Hot air getting blown at it, especially when sitting in traffic. Electrics don't like that!

Further to my earlier reply, the chap who did mine said that the fixings could be difficult to remove with the possibility of one in particular just turning with a spanner on it rather than undoing. The ref to Braille is probably accurate. Without a lift it's more than difficult.

ballcock said:
I've been told its a bit of a b1tch to swap out as it sits on top of the gearbox (?) and has to be removed by Braille :p so expect a few hours labour.
Thanks ballcock :thumbs:. It's been on the to-do list for a while along with the earth strap. As mentioned by many, both are clearly a weak point on the car and appears to be the cause of various issues, so will get it done before either completely fails. Another labour intensive item...:roll: great...

ch3tman said:
ballcock said:
Thanks ballcock :thumbs:. It's been on the to-do list for a while along with the earth strap. As mentioned by many, both are clearly a weak point on the car and appears to be the cause of various issues, so will get it done before either completely fails. Another labour intensive item...:roll: great...

did mine myself this last winter, the drivers side driveshaft has to be disconnected to get in there, so that adds a bit of time . top fastener is completely blind, but shorter motor (it's only about 20mm) makes a world of difference. indie time...not sure...3 or 4 hours maybe ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back