Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Caution - Stop and think about tuning

NineExcellence

Guys,

Please think about who you use for tuning and make sure they can provide you with what is actually going on with your engine post tuning.

This has to be the worse example I have ever seen on a car. I ended up putting the car back to stock it was so bad.

If you look at the ignition angle on the standard map 9971turbo image below, you see a nice positive curve and when you look at retardation the values for each cylinder are 0 so no timing pulled.

Now look at the shocking image :eek: - look at the timing curve and the amount of timing pulled out. In the retardation column for each cylinder a value of 192 is 0.75degrees of timing. I sometimes see 5-6 degrees pulled when a tuner gives too much too soon. Never have I seen the level of timing pulled as on this car. It is COMPLETELY UNSAFE.

So whoever you use, ask for the real world data to show you what happens when your car is tuned on boost. This is how engines let go.

I won't name and shame as it would be unfair, but as long as you ask for proof you can make up your own mind.

Ken

Attachments

• standard_map_9971turbo_165.jpg
    standard_map_9971turbo_165.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 5,995
  • shocking_map_179.jpg
    shocking_map_179.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 5,995
This is why we should all go ( and hopefully we know why ) to someone like you Ken ..
:lol:

Lock em up I say !

:lock:

Ken, your thread title sucked me in stronger than a wormhole in space...(-:

I have for many years followed so very many contributions on a one time Morgan forum where so very many folk thought they knew better than the original designers/manufacturers of the vehicle, and while there was no doubt some did, there were others who looked at the simple appearance of the construction of the vehicle and thought they would "improve" on some aspect of it, and some did very successfully too.... But the number of folk who turned up on the forums with the now legendary overheating problems, perhaps as the result of bigger cams, higher compression piston,s bigger carbs and all the other engineering imbalances so created, stressing perhaps 50 year old engine blocks, gearbox ratios and internals never designed to handle the higher levels of power, through to brake systems similarly stressed ... and that is just the tuned "original" engines... some folk go for modern even higher power units spending thousands to squeeze then finding the sump hits every speed bump.... Sigh!

Sure it can be fun to shoot the breeze quoting cam numbers uprated compression ratio`s, improved volumetric efficiency of new must have carbs and manifolds etc.etc.etc, but many such modified vehicles are sold on given all the possible issues that the mad modifier has utilised to improve his car`s performance which ended up destroying reliability fuel economy handling not to mention safety, and much else he never ever imagined, thus also in the process destroying his ability to enjoy his car..and at great cost.. hmm..?

Such cars can be sold on with information "lost" as to the modifications and some poor soul tries to get it to run reasonably using standard settings from the manufacturer for ign timing etc etc... and thus failing to get the machine to run at all reasonably, not to mention all the other possible imbalances built in by the chap who set out to improve performance... Thus in time there comes to be quite a number of folk turning up on the interweb with overheating, engines that will not idle, and drink copious amounts of fuel, the gearbox is screaming overload with all the wrong ratios and the brakes performance is lousy, not to mention the effect on general handling, ever seen a Morgan frame and suspension....? So those old cars can then acquire a rep for being pretty poor.. Even though on occasion they have been known to show a Porsche the way round a race track...... INCOMING... ROFL.

I kinda hoped the water cooled Porsche rep was similarly created, given so many folk enjoy modifying their cars... me too at one time... but having read Les` recent contribution under the subject line "IT`S BEEN A YEAR" where he reports :-

This was the 5th Porsche engine we have had to replace out of 8 cars.
All of them were OPC serviced.
All of them were well looked after,
None of them were revved over 3K until the oil was hot,
All of them allowed to cool down,
All of them had the oil replaced every 5K with the best available at the time (millers nano was in the Boxster),
None of them were over revved (3 had tip boxes) and
ALL of them were due to "Known Issues".

It seems Porsche problems may have been engineered- in by Porsche...? Which for me as an enthusiast of the marque is disappointing,having hoped that perhaps a 1% or so failure rate often suggested, could perhaps be excusable... hmm :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back