Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sad sight... 993 on A325

ch3tman

Suzuka
Being discussed on PH: "Spotted this about 2:15pm on the new Bordon bypass (A325)."

6ptGIFm9.png

:sad:

Hope everyone involved was ok... :(

ch3tman said:
Has anybody bought so called 'Fire Safety Sticks', and from this supplier?

https://firesafetystick.com/
https://firesafetystick.com/shop/

They have a stand at Goodwood FOS this year - hope this carries some level of confidence? :?

Having been in a burning car many years ago, and managing to escape before the fuel tank exploded, the image above has brought back memories & sweaty palms! :what:

These look superb, thanks for posting.

I've also crawled out of an upside down car that subsequently caught fire and these make a lot sense.

I once set my sister's car on fire with her and my mate in it. Frightening to see how quick it takes hold......then it's just a matter of seconds before the tank blows. :nooo:

Alex said:
I once set my sister's car on fire with her and my mate in it. Frightening to see how quick it takes hold......then it's just a matter of seconds before the tank blows. :nooo:

Wow, remind me not to get on your wrong side!!

MC

Alex said:
You could have just told them that you disapproved :hand:

MisterCorn said:
Alex said:

Wow, remind me not to get on your wrong side!!

MC

That's sisters for you.

They tried driving off once the petrol line on the underside was ignited. Looked like a scene from Back To The Future.

giphy.gif

Such a shocking sight to see any vehicle burn, and really sad when it is a "Classic," greatly valued by it`s owner and perhaps far more valued than an Insurance company may pay out.

I beamed up the IB forum and read the thread... I would tend to agree that fire extinguishers are unlikely to achieve much in a hot engine situation or where fuel is leaking, or when electrics are burning.. It is possible to damage yourself when trying to put a fire out with an extinguisher, but at the time rational thinking might not be available.

As far as I can remember the three aspects a fire requires to keep on burning are fuel, oxygen and heat, removing any one of these three will extinguish the fire, but in a car fire that is no easy task.

As a result of these sad situations there would seem to be at least two really important questions in my mind.

It seems that the change in the chemical make-up of fuels may cause issues for older cars in terms of the effect on the fuelling systems, it seems to be suggested that some fuel lines may suffer leakage either as the result of age or not being entirely suitable for contact with modern fuels..?

Quite by chance, In the last few weeks I have been working my way through my old sports car`s fuel system replacing rubber fuel connectors with modern grade fuel hose under the I.D. of GATES multifuel.

If interested in possibilities of issues for older vehicles using modern fuels you could beam up :-

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

Or for an American perspective :-

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/20/e15-ethanol-is-coming-like-it-or-not

The second issue arising from the IB forum that was triggered in my mind was that of the possible reduction of YOUR car Insurance cover while using your car in foreign parts, for it seems very likely that your cover may be considerably reduced... CHECK YOUR POLICY.. I am concerned that the chap who`s car burned in foreign parts may not be covered as well as he might have expected.... I do hope I am mistaken... :?:

sad sight 993 on a325

yes I bought one of the extinguisher sticks on Saturday .as I think its better to have something rather than nothing . I got the 60 second stick for £50 it fits in the glove box and the guy said its good for all fires

j lenno is endorcing this product and is using them in his own cars

Would be interested to know how the Firestick compares to a 1kg ABC Powder
extinguisher or a 2 litre Foam Biomax with a 13A rating. Fire Service might have a view on them as well. Like someone has already mentioned it takes a lot of suppression to knock down and keep extinguished a car fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back