Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Muffler bypass done

Kbald

Monza
Well I spent the afternoon fitting new exhaust pipes removing the mufflers as I found the stock exhaust a bit tame.

I will be spending tomorrow taking them off again! I'd watched some YouTube videos and the bypass sounded nice and not too loud but in real life it's very very loud. TVR loud. Too loud for me.

I think I will be looking for a stainless backbox to give me a bit more noise but not to the bypass level. Would like some new manifolds but the bolts on the original look like they would shear off or the heads would round so as no leaks will leave well alone for now.

Interesting to read this....I did look at complete bypasses (L-shaped pipe that completely removes any mufflers from the system) - but read that people felt they were too much.

I have just fitted Designtek supremacy back-boxes (that are a muffler, with a pre-made gundo hack (the small bypass pipe)). Seems to be a good compromise, they are sensible volume, unless you drive it hard.

Thanks for the info will have a look at that back box style. The ones I fitted were the l shaped ones. Will stick them on eBay as someone will be happy with the volume.

I did the 2.5 ID pipe on my 3.6 boxes years ago and I think its perfectly civilised and has a great sophisticated sound to it when on it and not too loud at all when just cruising along.

What size pipe did you use, I assume on 3.4 boxes between the two external pipes?

Oh well, at least you had a go. You wouldn't have been satisfied until you'd tried them.
Aren't they god awful bloody things though. :grin:
I can't help commenting on every thread I see about them. They turn the car into a Chav-wagon instantly and people (well, me) just think '*****" as you drive past and deafen them. :D

Wise move going for sports boxes. It will retain that flat 6 sound that gets lost with those delete pipes. :thumb:

infrasilver I'm not sure of the exact size but they fitted over the pipe from the cat so marginally bigger maybe 3.5 inch.

Marky911 you're right I felt very self conscious as I passed pedestrians and the sound wasn't anywhere as sweet as I'd hoped for. A nice sportbox would be a nice compromise as the stock mufflers are a bit tame sounding imho.

I think these are hard cars to get sounding right, I've tried a few box variations now along with the 200cell top gear cats and still I've not got the sound I'm looking for, currently back on my standard boxes with the sport cats.

Kbald said:
infrasilver I'm not sure of the exact size but they fitted over the pipe from the cat so marginally bigger maybe 3.5 inch.

It all depends where you put the bypass pipe, I am assuming you have just done the bypass mod and not deleted the "muffler" all together. I think the factory PSE system used a 3" bypass pipe and this is pretty much as good as it gets for sound, I went a bit tamer and used a 2.5" pipe which sounds spot on for me but does make a great sound at the top or the rev range but with it being the 3.6 engine the bypass mod it done from the top of the silencer to the pipe in the middle, the 3.4 usually uses a much thinner pipe, I think around 1.5" - 2" and goes between the middle pipe and the one at the bottom. The above sizes get the same sound from the different silencers so going too wide a diameter can make a huge difference to the sound and can be unobtrusively loud if too big.

Hi infrasilver the mufflers were gone altogether so the tips were attached straight onto the cat pipes and out of the back. The pipes used were the same as in the picture. Saves quite a bit of weight not having the stock muffler boxes but gets too loud for me.

Attachments

• s_l300_209.jpg
    s_l300_209.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,509
infrasilver said:
I have never heard of anyone doing this and actually liking it afterwards.

Ive had straight pipes from cat back on mine, though the pipework followed the original route as opposed to the above.

Loved it (so did everyone else except one neighbour and they could ***** right off) but hated that it robbed it of noticeable low down torque so switched out to something else. If it wasnt for the torque issue, id have kept them on the car

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back