Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 / Carrera radiator fan for 4s / turbo

DanSteele

Trainee
Afternoon all,

Finally got around to investigating my offside non functioning radiator fan on my '03 4s.
Went in hoping for the best with a failed ballast resistor, but unfortunately I've got a duff fan.

Now, I slightly loathed to spend the £400 or so on the turbo/ 4s fan if there is another option.

I've found a post suggesting that a 986/Carrera fan will fit (Bosch instead of Gate) has anyone got experience on this? Potentially requires re drilling of the 3 arms to fit?

Or should I stop being such a tight git and pay the extra for the right part.

With a lot of head scratching I came to the conclusion that turbo has a 3 speed fan and 4s just two speed. This explains the 3 pins on the chassis side connector and 4 pins on the current fitted fan side connector.
Fan has failed in a way that it will only work if given an encouragement spin and even then it doesn't quite seem to spin as fast as I'd expect

Thanks in advance

Regards

Dan

...I should probably add, I've got the fan out of the car and tested it on the battery to confirm it's faulty. Have tested / bypassed relays / and use meter to check power to fan connector ruling out high resistance connection etc

I got one from carparts4less via eBay if memory serves. Certainly wasn't £400 and was an OE part.

Robertb said:
I got one from carparts4less via eBay if memory serves. Certainly wasn't £400 and was an OE part.

Yeah, the Hella fans are £190 inc VAT each on Carparts4less this weekend.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I checked CP4L yesterday and just again and can't find the part on their site / any fans for 996?

Dan

Give them a call, they carry far more parts than their website shows. Then question the price, they can often do a deal......

maldren said:
Give them a call, they carry far more parts than their website shows. Then question the price, they can often do a deal......

Many thanks for the heads up/tip, haven't dealt with them before. With give them a call when they open tomorrow morning.

Dan

I've just checked the carparts4less invoice- the official part no is 99662412700 but there is another part no of 213330120 (possibly an internal part no)

Cost was £269 inc.

I ordered it via their eBay listings in Feb last year.

I hope this helps if you call them.

Well gave them a call
Not a stocked part, comes in at £420 but they can do a 35% discount bringing it in around what you paid Robert.

No mention of manufacturer/they didn't know.

Before I go for this, anyone had any luck/experience with the 986/carerra fan?

Dan

Mine did not say OE when I ordered it, but came in a Porsche original parts box, so there are reasons for optimism...

CP4L finally came back to me after some chasing

... 4 week lead time on the motor :?

Another two days have passed
And they have pushed price up to £300

My advice
If you want this part quickly, go elsewhere, really not impressed by speed of response etc from CP4L/Euro car parts

Dan

Is there a Bosch part number on the old part? I doubt it's a Porsche special part and you may be able to find it much cheaper elsewhere.

They're often VW/Audi group parts.

Also try Frazerpart, they're much more responsive that CP4L

Cheers, I'll give them a try, no Bosch part number as I believe it's made by Gate on the 4s/turbo, unless they rebrand other parts.

300 with a 4 week lead time isn't worth the hassle for the saving so I'll be going elsewhere.

Took the existing motor apart and it's pretty shot, commutator has 2-3mm groves worn in it, if the other (working) one is in similar condition, I don't fancy my chances of summer/traffic driving if both motors go so not going to drove until I've got a replacement installed.

Dan

To draw this to a close

Went for typ911 for the fan in the end, around £350ish delivered, genuine Porsche boxed part, manufactured by Gate as the original.

Removed and fitted with front PU in situ, tricky to access the fore most bolt, but perfectly achievable.

I fitted the new fan this morning, here's to driving in the heat with less worry.

Dan :)

Nice job... I did mine by just undoing the PU and dropping it forward a bit to access the bolt rather than completely removing it, not that its particularly hard. If you do, its a good opportunity to clean out the rads etc, or fit some mesh grilles if you've not already.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back