Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sun blinds

jonno_

Imola
I know they look crap but my 997 is parked outside in the main and I'm keen to keep it a bit cooler.
Was tbnking windscreen and rear window shades / reflectors would do the job.

Anyone found some custom fitted or otherwise?
Thanks all

Go for the 'Cars' style ones with eyes on. :D

As someone who's battled the heat my while life, I can say sunshades don't actually work keeping the car cool. The only benefit they have is stopping the bleaching of carpets etc. Even then we're talking decades before that happens. Usually bleaching occurs when a vehicle isn't moved for very long periods.
As an example, let's say it's a 30° day, the blinds might slow down the heat getting in, but I can guarantee that by lunchtime, blinds or no blinds the temp in the car will be exactly the same due to the heatsoak coming through the metal panels. It will probably be around the 60° Mark at lunch inside the car.
Come 6pm when you're ready to go home, the blinds are now slowing the heat from escaping through the glass as the day cools, which defeats the purpose of putting the blinds up in the first place.
The only way to stop the heatsoak is limiting the sun exposure, parking it under a tree then brings a host of other problems like droppings and sap.
Keeping your car cool in my homeland is treated like an art form, sunroofs are valuable for letting the heat escape and belt buckles are branding irons. :grin:

Best just to leave your windows open a tad......or in my case roof down.

Blinds won't keep a car interior any cooler than no blinds, glass allows visible light to pass through it and this light then heats up the interior of the car. Heat then tries to pass back through the glass as infrared radiation but most of the infrared spectrum is actually absorbed by the glass which also heats up causing the interior to get even hotter. This is why the interior temperature of a car left in direct sunlight is higher than the ambient temperature outside.

You can get these from the good old US of A ...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/POSUSHX.html

We must have different sun up in sunny Scotland , when the sun is beating down on mine ... if I fit the gash Halfords aluminium reflective jobs in my windscreens of my cars , the inside of the car is definitely cooler when I get in , both to the touch and temperature wise....

My observation only but then again we have had our 4 days of summer already this year

:D :D

^^^ Thinking about it blinds should slow down the heating process as the infrared heat is generated by sunlight warming the interior of the car by heating up the dashboard, seats, belt buckles etc.

If the blinds are blocking the passage of light to these parts the heat build up will be slower as it's just the blind acting as a radiator. Ultimately though the interior will end up hotter than outside.

Ye canna change the laws of physics cap'n!

I have found a light tint on all glass except windscreen and maybe a matching tint sun strip on the windscreen does help keep it a bit cooler, that and if you have a sunroof leave it open on vent :thumb: :thumb: if tinting isn't your thing then consider this option, the reason I suggest this is it actually slows the metal roof etc and glass from heating and causing soak into the car

https://www.ukcustomcovers.com/half...MI-o26lr2W4wIVCbrtCh1u_weaEAYYAyABEgKr5_D_BwE

Attachments

• 412avlavrxl_sx425__193.jpg
    412avlavrxl_sx425__193.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,507
Is that a Porka?

Thanks for the ideas (and physics lessons) guys - will check those out.

@Rob - love the Cars style one.
Sandal brigade will be upset on a 997 though, so totally worth it!

I'm currrently based in the Middle East and the temperature is now around 47c and it'll rise to. 55c within a few weeks. Clear window film with uv protection makes a huge difference on the back and sides. For the front buy one of those sunshades which looks like tin foil to reflect the sun. I guess it's relative and personal tolerance/preference but in the UK it's not really an issue like it is out here.

The best thing you can do is park in the shade, and get a desert spec car: white over cream/beige/sand interior. I may have written elsewhere that living, driving and surviving in the Middle East often requires you to sit in a pool of your own arse sweat. I used to carry small towels to sit on for the really hot days... I never understood the black on black cars. Madness.

Spot on Max. The only other thing we'd do is put a t-shirt on the steering wheel as So that it was only as hot as lava, rather than the surface of the sun. :grin:

Funnily enough Max when I was looking to buy a Carrera with a manual gearbox I ended up buying a one owner 996.2 in precisely that colour combo (carrara white with beige interior) although I did end up replacing some of the interior trim with black items for contrast. In the UK though I've got a triple black 997.1 TT 6MT.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back