Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 3 months in

Stu3004

3 months of ownership and 800 miles covered and so I thought I would post an update, hopefully of interest!

The car is great, the noise, the drive and the satisfaction of owning one finally has not gone away like other cars have (I can get bored quickly with cars). If anything the fun and satisfaction has increased as I have got more used to the car. With it being an early manual version it does have "character" compared to more modern cars and requires more effort to drive, but is much more rewarding. They are special cars.

I've let the whole family including the dog join in, which has worked well as it means more excuses to use the car! Pic to follow, I know it's not for everyone but a bit of extra cleaning is a small price to pay for using the car more!

Jobs wise, had the car to Hartech for an engine check and they kindly gave it a once over generally whilst there. Feedback was no scoring, no obvious issues, drives nice, looks like a good one and so just look after it and enjoy it - fair enough I will! Booked back in August for a major service - more for peace of mind than anything and to kick off my own servicing routine.

I've managed to hold off planning any major discretionary spending, just sent one key off for a refurb as the std ones a bit tired and bought a Bluetooth adapter to link my phone for music and sat nav (not fitted yet). Planning on freshening up inside the car later in the year when the weather's poor with getting the console, seatbacks and few interior bits painted.

Downsides are the Air con is playing up- have a separate post on this and the std music setup is woeful (non-bose). I'm far from a music fanatic but along with the interior work planned I would like to do something about this, however keen to keep the head unit std and not hack the car apart so will see, can always just open the window and hear the roar instead.

So far so good, working on finding a route to drive still as I hadn't realised how many average speed traps there were around Manchester. Keep looking at a mini road trip too, but suspect that may be for next summer as a bit busy generally at present.

Sorry for the lack of pics, just two to follow as I have been busy driving and have not taken enough, must do better!

Stu

Pics

Pics

Attachments

• 15618957106813_146.jpg
    15618957106813_146.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 5,775
  • 15618956704321_119.jpg
    15618956704321_119.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 5,775
Nice car, good colour, great dog!

Surely the Peak District is your go-to destination for nice driving roads?

Car looks lovely :thumb:

Stu, re the stock audio the speakers are actually not that bad quality the poor sound is almost totally down to the appalling excuse for an amp Porsche used ,change that and you will be a long way to sorting it . AC could be a number of things but what I see the most threads about and has happened to both my 997s is the ac pipes corroded if your lucky its on the flat underside of the car and is a few hundred to sort if like me your unlucky its where they go up over the Axle and into the engine bay and thats the best part of £1000 as its an engine drop to get at it. :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers for the replies :thumbs:

Based in Astley so handy for m61/65/m6 for easy access to the places suggested, will give them all a go - any excuse for a drive. Trough of Boland first I think - been recommended by few motorbike enthusiasts too.

Good shout on the amp upgrade as that sounds an easyish upgrade to give it a go without major work.

Sadly aircon is the one over the axle and is in two pieces now :sad: But it's not critical so something that can be scheduled in and sort the coolant pipes as well I guess (they are ok but no harm whilst it's stripped I am thinking). Just buy some sweatbands for now!

Stu

Stu - note that you don't need to use the Porsche parts or do the engine drop to replace this pipe.

Others have had good results with getting pirtek or similar to fabricate a two piece replacement.

My old car, good to know you are enjoying it Stuart, I put engine condition down to regular 12 monthly oil changes with and before me using 5/40 Fuchs GT1 oil and being mechanically sympathetic until oil was up to temperature.
First job was also a LTT when I bought it, look after it :thumbs:

Will give the pirtek idea a go, good shout well
worth a try, thank you.

Agree with that Jim- been religiously warming it up properly (which is hard to stick to when the road opens up!) and booked in for annual service in next few weeks. Finished your 944 yet?

Update 997

Just picked my car up from Hartech so time for an update on progress!

As in previous posts I was having trouble with my aircon pipes and in the end opted to get them done, which Hartech confirmed was an engine out job. So...a list of 'it may as well get done" jobs followed such as coolant pipes, oil seals and so on and the car was booked in.

In the end if I wanted to live without aircon the car would have been fine as it ran really well (no fluid loss or drops and has been well serviced etc) so most were parts not broken or in need of replacing, but it would have annoyed me next summer and well worth it for preventive maintenance & future investment.... am I convincing myself still!

However my car decided to object to being taken out of its warm garage to head to Bolton and what I thought was a sticking clutch pedal due to lack of use resulted in no clutch for the last 2 miles of the journey! Thankfully I managed to get it into second gear and limp it there but was bit of a sorry sight having to ask for help from the guys at Hartech and push it into the workshop!

A phone call a few days later confirmed the clutch slave cylinder was the culprit, but carrying on the theme 'it may as well get done" a new clutch was ordered up as well as a few other bits found!

The full list is as below
Parts Required - New Unless Stated Otherwise
4324 GEARBOX SEAL OFF SIDE 1.00
4544 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER 1.00
5246 CLUTCH RELEASE FORK 1.00
4243 CLUTCH KIT COMPLETE 1.00
7407 CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER PIPE HOLDER 1.00
2309 REAR CRANKSHAFT SEAL 1.00
6012 COOLANT HOSE RUBBER #1 1.00
5218 COOLANT METAL RETURN TUBE NEAR SIDE OF ENGINE #2 1.00
5217 COOLANT HOSE 997 #3 1.00
5275 COOLANT HOSE - RUBBER SUPPLY OFF SIDE REAR OF ENGINE 997 #4 1.00
5233 COOLANT TUBE-METAL SUPPLY OFF SIDE OF ENGINE #5 1.00
4454 COOLANT HOSE-RUBBER SUPPLY OFF SIDE FRONT OF ENGINE 997 #6 1.00
5922 AIR CONDITIONING PIPE ENGINE BAY 1.00
2415 AIR CONDITIONING O RING 1.00
4218 AIR CONDITIONINGPIPE HOLDER 1.00
4286 AIR CONDITIONING TREATMENT 1.00
6480 ENGINE MOUNT 2.00
5566 ENGINE MOUNT NUT 2.00
4149 OIL SEPARATOR 1.00
5264 VENT LINE 1.00
5405 VENT LINE 1.00
5256 VENT LINE 1.00
5924 BRAKE PIPE OFF SIDE REAR 1.00
5386 SPEED NUT 1.00
172 COOLANT DRAIN PLUG 1.00
4051 OIL PRESSURE SENDER UNIT 1.00

A few weeks later and with a larger than anticipated Christmas gift £££ for the car I collected it. It runs great, the clutch is miles better and the car feels tighter (guessing engine mounts or could be man maths mentality – its been repaired it must feel better!).

All in all hats off to Hartech they were great and made sure the car was properly ready before collection, no rush to get it done and take your money like some places would.

Great to hear the howl from the exhaust on full chat again, although not too giddy at the moment the roads are a bit slippery. Air con is a waste of time though it is bloody freezing a the moment.....roll on spring!

Stu

Nice to see your pup on the front seat, mine likes it too

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back