Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oxygen / lambda sensor failure symptoms and lifespan

9xxnick

My car ('94 C2) has 110K miles on it now and has developed an intermittently hunting idle and slight loss of power.

The Bosch diagnostic tool is reporting that the Oxygen sensor is open circuit so I have a Bosch replacement on order.

I'm curious to know if it is fairly typical for these sensors to fail at this kind of mileage on 993s and whether anyone's had similar symptoms.

Equally, if anyone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree that'd be good to know too.

mine failed in a similar way (at about 115k) and was much smoohter on part throttle when replaced with a new item

Thanks chaps. The ISV has been cleaned, as has the MAF sensor, so hopefully these are OK.

I'll let you know how I get on with the O2 sensor.

Well, the old sensor is moving freely on its thread after a light application of Kroil and a little bit of encouragement with a rubber mallet on the end of a 22mm spanner. New unit should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully we will have a result soon.

The new sensor's fitted and seems to be working perfectly. The idle is stable and performance seems to be restored.

Next job: work out why the allegedly standard new gearbox mount has created a lot of additional noise, vibration and harshness....

I replaced my O2 sensor last month at 25 years old and 58000 miles. It had a few bashes in it, I guess from its last engine out job.

Running even better now..

In response to the last comment about your gearbox mount, how are your engine mounts? Your newly firmed up gearbox mounts might be exposing old rubber/loss of fluid in the engine mounts? Just a thought!

9xxnick said:
The new sensor's fitted and seems to be working perfectly. The idle is stable and performance seems to be restored.

Next job: work out why the allegedly standard new gearbox mount has created a lot of additional noise, vibration and harshness....
Great result.. :thumb:

Could you post a link to the new O2 sensor..? Will be good to keep in my "993" Browser Favourites for future reference..!

Fantastic..! Thanks 8) Even better with the code WEEKEND17 :thumb:

Attachments

• 2019_09_06_10_44_08_my_basket__car_parts_4_less_uks_no1_for_car_parts_115.jpg
    2019_09_06_10_44_08_my_basket__car_parts_4_less_uks_no1_for_car_parts_115.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,775
Currently £79.37 (Bosch) at Eurocarparts with the WEEKEND37 code. ;)

C.

Carparts4less and Eurocarparts are the same company. Carparts4less seem to be a little cheaper some of the time but always worth checking both.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back