Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Powder coating versus painting wheels

heed

Trainee
I'm looking to get my C4S turbo twist wheels refurbished. I want to keep them looking stock. My default plan is to get them picked up by exel wheels.

However, there is a place local to me that will do a full set for £195 (rather than the near £400 from exel wheels). Because they're local I can drop car off.

I have seen pictures of their work and it looks great, however they only do powder coating.

I'm concerned that powder coating won't look right (like stock), as I assume the stock finish is painted.

Finally, how do all of these wheel refurb paints ensure that they repaint in the original Porsche wheel colours? Are the colour codes available or something?

Cheers!

Just read that thread. Sounds totally poppycock to me. A very huge chunk of all alloys are powder coated so the chances of three alloys cracking that were all powder coated is massive. Its like saying all three cars were Silver so silver cars are dangerous.

Not just alloys, so many parts are powder coated

Without any factual evidence to back this up... I would have thought that powder coating would be more durable than paint?

:?:

Alex said:
Just read that thread. Sounds totally poppycock to me. A very huge chunk of all alloys are powder coated so the chances of three alloys cracking that were all powder coated is massive. Its like saying all three cars were Silver so silver cars are dangerous.

:thumbs: EXACTLY ALEX

997 Coast said:
Alex said:

:thumbs: EXACTLY ALEX
:agree:

From my experience, I would personally prefer my wheels to be painted.

Reasons being:

Paint is harder than powder coating & if you get a chip, it will be localised.
The paint adheres to the wheel so has less of a tendency to lift.
Powder coating seems to rely more on hermetically sealing the wheel.
Get a chip on powder coated wheels, it allows water under the surrounding coating where it starts to corrode.

If done right, you will get a better finish on painted wheels & it will be more resistant to scratching.

There are also some huge differences to the thickness of powder coated finishes it seems.
I've had one set done which lasted over seven years after powder coating. I also had another set which were new & powder coated to change colour, & they started corroding under the surface in several places in less that two years. Needless to say, I won't use that particular company again.

Again, the best finish I've seen were on painted wheels which polished up to the same standard as the bodywork.

That goes for both process'. There's good and bad practices with each one. Suppose it's all down to the person doing the job.

I think I'll just get them painted rather than powder coated then. Not because of the FUD around powdered coating, but because it sounds like painting will be a better finish.

I still want to know how a wheel refurbisher guarantees the right colour though. Or maybe they don't and everyone has slightly different wheels from stock :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back