Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changing clutch in a car for the first time in my life

FZP

Zandvoort
As the weather is superb today, I was out enjoying the car when i lost the ability to change gears. Thankfully I was going downhill at the time. I pulled up and tried to figure out what the issue was and still couldn't select a gear. I managed to get a gear and get on my way and then got it to my local OPC.
They say the clutch has gone, so that means that for the first time in my life, I am changing a clutch in a car. What a waste of a day. 10 years and 47k for a high performance car isn't bad. They reckon 60k is the most they've seen on a car.
Looks like I'm Porscheless for the next 2 weeks :sad:

As you say, 50k miles is not bad. Can't say I've ever had a clutch either.

Why a two week delay?

They're backed up with work like a fatberg in a London sewer. As long as I have it back for the British F1, I'll be happy.
But to be fair, I don't think it's worn, but something failed rather. As it wasn't slipping. What ever has gone wrong, it makes sense to change the clutch whilst it's apart which I don't disagree with.
Thankfully I was only a mile or two away from OPC when it happened as I would have had the horror of organising a tow truck for it. I couldn't bear to see it on a flatbed.

After reading the heading, thought you were attempting it yourself. Was gonna say don't bother.

Do you never think someone's watching over you with regards to timing.

EG: our next meet is a liquid one and you won't need your car. There was a 1 in 12 chance of that happening. :dont know:

I've had 3 clutch changes in my time. All due to previous owners.

I wish they'd bloody well look a bit closer as I've now got an MOT and Insurance due on another vehicle, plus this. Looks like it's dust for breakfast lunch and dinner. :grin:
I would never attempt to change the clutch myself.....The exhaust was enough of a challenge with all the rusty bolts.

FZP said:
I wish they'd bloody well look a bit closer as I've now got an MOT and Insurance due on another vehicle, plus this. Looks like it's dust for breakfast lunch and dinner. :grin:
I would never attempt to change the clutch myself.....The exhaust was enough of a challenge with all the rusty bolts.

Off topic a bit, there is apparently a bloke who's made a business out of home visits to drill out and replace exhaust bolts, inc manifold bolts.

Sounds like an excellent service, but I've not seen contact details.

Robertb said:
FZP said:

Off topic a bit, there is apparently a bloke who's made a business out of home visits to drill out and replace exhaust bolts, inc manifold bolts.

Sounds like an excellent service, but I've not seen contact details.
I did the exhaust swap from the cats back. That was enough of a trauma. I wouldn't dare attempt the manifold studs as I'm a firm believer in right tool right job, especially when you're mucking around with the core of the engine.
That bloke would be onto a winner I reckon, getting people out of trouble all over the shop when they snap them in situ.

Sorry to hear of your woes Franc, just when you don't need it, my 997.2 was on 46k when I sold it but clutch felt fine, I was weary of it cropping up but luckily didn't fail.

I suspect yours may have enjoyed a bit more fun than mine, but did it just stop, as normally they start to slip & become difficult to get in gear, I had a previous sports car that had been worn before it reached me then failed.

Hope you get her back on the road soon.

No slippage, it just failed. Could be the material has come off or the fingers have broken. Both OPC and DeMort said the same thing so either way it's a new clutch and flywheel in all honesty. Just annoying as the best weather of the year and I'm 911less

My Audi is on its original clutch at 156,000 miles :dont know: And that's even with Mrs Z driving it :what:

Frank when they do the work see if they can blend that sun bleaching on the rear shelf caused by your trilby

I don't do hats unless they have the corks on them :grin:
Interestingly enough, Mrs P Audi is also on original clutch at 135k miles, and no sign of wanting to give up the ghost. I would have said the same about the 911 until 2 days ago. :frustrated:

FZP said:
They're backed up with work like a fatberg in a London sewer. As long as I have it back for the British F1, I'll be happy.
But to be fair, I don't think it's worn, but something failed rather. As it wasn't slipping. What ever has gone wrong, it makes sense to change the clutch whilst it's apart which I don't disagree with.
Thankfully I was only a mile or two away from OPC when it happened as I would have had the horror of organising a tow truck for it. I couldn't bear to see it on a flatbed.

They offered me an 'appointment' sometime close to August like they were doing me a favour, not a bit bothered about losing the business :dont know:

infrasilver said:
Alex said:
I've had 3 clutch changes in my time. All due to previous owners.

I've had 4 clutch's in my 996, all due to the current owner.

:floor:

spongebob squarepants said:
FZP said:

They offered me an 'appointment' sometime close to August like they were doing me a favour, not a bit bothered about losing the business :dont know:
With the amount of cars they have been selling, they could do with doubling the workshop size just to keep up with demand. I know they've been looking for a new site, but nothing found as yet.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back