Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Changing clutch in a car for the first time in my life Reply with quote

As the weather is superb today, I was out enjoying the car when i lost the ability to change gears. Thankfully I was going downhill at the time. I pulled up and tried to figure out what the issue was and still couldn't select a gear. I managed to get a gear and get on my way and then got it to my local OPC.
They say the clutch has gone, so that means that for the first time in my life, I am changing a clutch in a car. What a waste of a day. 10 years and 47k for a high performance car isn't bad. They reckon 60k is the most they've seen on a car.
Looks like I'm Porscheless for the next 2 weeks Sad
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Robertb
Dijon


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 7336
Location: South Oxfordshire

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, 50k miles is not bad. Can't say I've ever had a clutch either.

Why a two week delay?
_________________
"911- the guilt-free supercar"

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're backed up with work like a fatberg in a London sewer. As long as I have it back for the British F1, I'll be happy.
But to be fair, I don't think it's worn, but something failed rather. As it wasn't slipping. What ever has gone wrong, it makes sense to change the clutch whilst it's apart which I don't disagree with.
Thankfully I was only a mile or two away from OPC when it happened as I would have had the horror of organising a tow truck for it. I couldn't bear to see it on a flatbed.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 17144
Location: The Ribble Valley, Lancashire

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the heading, thought you were attempting it yourself. Was gonna say don't bother.

Do you never think someone's watching over you with regards to timing.

EG: our next meet is a liquid one and you won't need your car. There was a 1 in 12 chance of that happening. Dont know

I've had 3 clutch changes in my time. All due to previous owners.
_________________
2000 Manual 996 C4 Arctic Silver Convertible


 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they'd bloody well look a bit closer as I've now got an MOT and Insurance due on another vehicle, plus this. Looks like it's dust for breakfast lunch and dinner. Grin
I would never attempt to change the clutch myself.....The exhaust was enough of a challenge with all the rusty bolts.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Robertb
Dijon


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 7336
Location: South Oxfordshire

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
I wish they'd bloody well look a bit closer as I've now got an MOT and Insurance due on another vehicle, plus this. Looks like it's dust for breakfast lunch and dinner. Grin
I would never attempt to change the clutch myself.....The exhaust was enough of a challenge with all the rusty bolts.


Off topic a bit, there is apparently a bloke who's made a business out of home visits to drill out and replace exhaust bolts, inc manifold bolts.

Sounds like an excellent service, but I've not seen contact details.
_________________
"911- the guilt-free supercar"

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertb wrote:
FZP wrote:
I wish they'd bloody well look a bit closer as I've now got an MOT and Insurance due on another vehicle, plus this. Looks like it's dust for breakfast lunch and dinner. Grin
I would never attempt to change the clutch myself.....The exhaust was enough of a challenge with all the rusty bolts.


Off topic a bit, there is apparently a bloke who's made a business out of home visits to drill out and replace exhaust bolts, inc manifold bolts.

Sounds like an excellent service, but I've not seen contact details.

I did the exhaust swap from the cats back. That was enough of a trauma. I wouldn't dare attempt the manifold studs as I'm a firm believer in right tool right job, especially when you're mucking around with the core of the engine.
That bloke would be onto a winner I reckon, getting people out of trouble all over the shop when they snap them in situ.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Hamster75
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 363
Location: Chester


PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your woes Franc, just when you don't need it, my 997.2 was on 46k when I sold it but clutch felt fine, I was weary of it cropping up but luckily didn't fail.

I suspect yours may have enjoyed a bit more fun than mine, but did it just stop, as normally they start to slip & become difficult to get in gear, I had a previous sports car that had been worn before it reached me then failed.

Hope you get her back on the road soon.
_________________
991.1 C2S Red
997.2 C4 White
924 Blue
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No slippage, it just failed. Could be the material has come off or the fingers have broken. Both OPC and DeMort said the same thing so either way it's a new clutch and flywheel in all honesty. Just annoying as the best weather of the year and I'm 911less
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
infrasilver
Fast & Furious
Fast & Furious


Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 8507
Location: East Midlands

2001 Porsche 996 Targa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
I've had 3 clutch changes in my time. All due to previous owners.


I've had 4 clutch's in my 996, all due to the current owner.
_________________
http://euroroadtripper.blogspot.co.uk/

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Zingari
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch


Joined: 25 Oct 2009
Posts: 13081
Location: Cheshire

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Audi is on its original clutch at 156,000 miles Dont know And that's even with Mrs Z driving it what

Frank when they do the work see if they can blend that sun bleaching on the rear shelf caused by your trilby
_________________
The game's afoot. It's time to put a bit of (Colini) stick about......964/993 wanted. Cash waiting. No dreamers
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do hats unless they have the corks on them Grin
Interestingly enough, Mrs P Audi is also on original clutch at 135k miles, and no sign of wanting to give up the ghost. I would have said the same about the 911 until 2 days ago. frustrated
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
spongebob squarepants
Long Beach


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6078
Location: Manchester and Iraq


PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
They're backed up with work like a fatberg in a London sewer. As long as I have it back for the British F1, I'll be happy.
But to be fair, I don't think it's worn, but something failed rather. As it wasn't slipping. What ever has gone wrong, it makes sense to change the clutch whilst it's apart which I don't disagree with.
Thankfully I was only a mile or two away from OPC when it happened as I would have had the horror of organising a tow truck for it. I couldn't bear to see it on a flatbed.


They offered me an ‘appointment’ sometime close to August like they were doing me a favour, not a bit bothered about losing the business Dont know
_________________
991 C2S PDK - X51 430 powerkit, Carbon GT2 folding buckets, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Carrera S alloys, Sports design bodykit with ducktail and Alcantara steering wheel. If Carling did a 991S...
“Herman yellow, the last of the naturally aspirated. ”YKIMS"

Yellow + red = Orange

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 17144
Location: The Ribble Valley, Lancashire

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infrasilver wrote:
Alex wrote:
I've had 3 clutch changes in my time. All due to previous owners.


I've had 4 clutch's in my 996, all due to the current owner.


Floor
_________________
2000 Manual 996 C4 Arctic Silver Convertible


 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongebob squarepants wrote:
FZP wrote:
They're backed up with work like a fatberg in a London sewer. As long as I have it back for the British F1, I'll be happy.
But to be fair, I don't think it's worn, but something failed rather. As it wasn't slipping. What ever has gone wrong, it makes sense to change the clutch whilst it's apart which I don't disagree with.
Thankfully I was only a mile or two away from OPC when it happened as I would have had the horror of organising a tow truck for it. I couldn't bear to see it on a flatbed.


They offered me an ‘appointment’ sometime close to August like they were doing me a favour, not a bit bothered about losing the business Dont know

With the amount of cars they have been selling, they could do with doubling the workshop size just to keep up with demand. I know they've been looking for a new site, but nothing found as yet.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just heard that I'll get the car back this week, possibly Wednesday. Dance Tap
That would be a result if that happens. Looking forward to seeing what went wrong.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 17144
Location: The Ribble Valley, Lancashire

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot error Grin
_________________
2000 Manual 996 C4 Arctic Silver Convertible


 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand I'm sympathetic with the clutch to avoid situations like the above.
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
spongebob squarepants
Long Beach


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6078
Location: Manchester and Iraq


PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
Hand I'm sympathetic with the clutch to avoid situations like the above.


Hmmm the old manual gearbox, a trifle old fashioned nowadays Grin
_________________
991 C2S PDK - X51 430 powerkit, Carbon GT2 folding buckets, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Carrera S alloys, Sports design bodykit with ducktail and Alcantara steering wheel. If Carling did a 991S...
“Herman yellow, the last of the naturally aspirated. ”YKIMS"

Yellow + red = Orange

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
FZP
Estoril


Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Posts: 3902
Location: Cheshire


PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongebob squarepants wrote:
FZP wrote:
Hand I'm sympathetic with the clutch to avoid situations like the above.


Hmmm the old manual gearbox, a trifle old fashioned nowadays Grin

Out of curiosity, what's the expected lifespan of a PDK clutch?
_________________
997.2 Carrera 2S GT Silver/Cocoa.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum