Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Key Repair

Unfortunately I dropped my key and the lock button popped out, i've managed to get it working by sellotaping it back on but obviously need a better fix!

I've just noticed this service on Ebay ~ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/391345619839? ~ which seems like a bargain at £40, but I thought it might be worth checking on here to see if anyone's used it before, or if there's any other option?

You can buy the keys for £15 or so but I'd then need to swap over the gubbins myself which I'm not confident in doing!

Swapping the guts over is a simple job, only slightly hard bit is the glued in transponder but still no big deal. Did both mine, swapped old grey/silver key for new black ones.

jl-c said:
Swapping the guts over is a simple job, only slightly hard bit is the glued in transponder but still no big deal. Did both mine, swapped old grey/silver key for new black ones.

I did this too with a key from eBay. Looks soooo much better and feels sloid. Transponder is a tricky bit, but used long nose pliers to get it out (had to distort the old key housing) and soaked it in nail varnish remover to get it clean to reinsert the transponder/immobiliser. There are guides on YouTube and online. I destroyed my worst looking key and kept the secondary key original.

One of the most satisfying things to do yourself as well. Just give yourself a few hours to do it slowly so you don't rush it. Patience required but skill level is low.

Thanks guys, unfortunately DIY is not my thing, I gave up attempting things like this years ago and now just let the pros do it! thanks for those links it's good to have somewhere recommended :thumbs:

Robert SausageTrousers said:
Thanks guys, unfortunately DIY is not my thing, I gave up attempting things like this years ago and now just let the pros do it! thanks for those links it's good to have somewhere recommended :thumbs:

I'm sure the service you linked will just be £10 cost do the key and £30 being the labour to swap it over. I guess it would be a phone shop or someone who has done it a few times before who's behind the service. If you are not confident to do it £40 for them to swap over the gubbins from one key housing to any other seems like ok labour costs for 30mins time per key.

Funnily enough, I dropped my key on my recent road trip, and the button broke. I thought I had nothing to lose and tried the diy shell swap buying one on eBay. The only tricky bit is getting the transponder out , which is a pig. I resorted to taking a hacksaw to the old key body and then pulling it apart with pliers. All good now though and saved about £250 so quite pleased with myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back