Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carrera 4S Cabrio with faulty rear electronic control module

Practical Goat

Hi all,

I've just had a 2006 Carrera 4S Cabrio in the garage with no working roof along with a few other things. I traced this fault to a module under the passengers seat which was water damaged.

Our Snap-on diag tool doesn't seem to have a function for coding in a new module. What software do we need to purchase in order to do this?

Also, the car has terrible brakes. Pedal has to be pressed very hard! All new discs and pads as well.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

No expert here Practical Goat, but I believe you will require Durametric or PIWIS to code in a new rear control module, or any control module for a Porsche.
Durametric Pro can be bought for around £1000, but I believe PIWIS costs many thousands and is on a subscription basis only.
If you don`t work on Porsches to any degree, the maybe getting a Porsche Indy to code it for you may be your cheapest/best option for a one off job :grin:

I`m sure someone else will chip in with their thoughts, best of luck :thumb:

Edit : Re the brakes, the 996 has really horrible brakes IMHO, the pedal is hard and feels wooden, you have to apply a lot of effort to brake effectively even on a good braking system, there was if I remember correctly a factory recall for the servo many years ago, but this has probably already been adressed on the car you have ?

The brakes are probably fine, you're most likely used to over-servo'd brakes.

996 brakes are frequently commented on as the most disappointing thing on the car. Later 911s and Boxsters are much better in this regard.

You have to give them a real shove which can be a bit off putting compared to modern cars with performance brakes.

Accordingly, if you search the site, there is quite a lot on here with modifications people have tried to improve the initial bite. A 996 owner near to me had all 4 calipers stripped out serviced with limited success. He also replaced with braided hoses. Like has been said, check that the servo is functioning properly and the the system is in good order. Some on here have tried experimenting with different pad grades.

At the end of the day, you have to make a mental note that they are not as responsive most cars and you have to give them a good old shove. This is 20 year old brake technology after all!!

I prefer them to over servo'd modern brakes. You can control your braking better.

Thank you all for the responses. They are shockingly bad, it was driving through the brakes even when just in drive with no throttle. We will bleed them tonight and see how it feels after.

This is actually a 997 so slightly the wrong forum :)

996 don't have a rear control unit .

At work we use a Piwis or autologic to code CU,s but both are rather expensive .. the only one that might do it would be the durametric pro .. you'll need to investigate that further though .

I'm afraid this is pretty common on cabs , you'll need to clear out the rear drains or it will happen again .. look behind the rear speakers and pull off the front section of the rear arch liners and you'll see the pipe .. remove the rubber disc and bin it.

Brakes ..

These have a tandem pump to generate the vacuum .. o/s/r on the engine ..

If the brakes are rock hard as in pretty much no servo then you have an air leak .. usual place is at the pump itself , the pipe / brass connection corrode .. also look at the ally pipe from it and behind the air filter box .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back