Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door dropping - worn hinges.

Alex

Nordschleife
My doors drop slightly when opening and also don't close as 'smooth' as they should. After reading an old thread on here, there is a chance the bolts that lock the door hinges into the brackets on the car may be loose. I've tightened these up before and it has improved them so thought I'd first give that a go.

Anyway, as luck would have it I snapped the top bolt in the hinge :duh:

You can see the bolt I mean here on the underside of the hinge and bracket:

Boxster_Door_Swap_28.jpg

Although a bit of a pain, it's now made me investigate further to see what the issue is. So I propped the door up with an upside down bucket and piece of foam and removed the hinge from the door. Once the torx bolt was removed, the hinge just lifted out the taper it sits in on the bracket.

Here you can see the taper that locks into the bracket and the remains on the snapped bolt:

ne1JK7z.jpg

Well at least I know how the hinge works now. The tapered part sits in the taper in the bracket and is locked in position by the bolt from the underside. The hinge then spins on the central tapered post or so it would seem.........and that is where the play is. I can very slightly rock the central piece in the hinge. Not much, but over the full length of the door it equates to a few mm. So tomorrow at work I'm gonna have to fathom out how that central post is locked in the hinge and also what I need to do to remove any play in it.

zktByrE.jpg

Should be fun!! And once I've done that I'll probably work my way through the other 4 hinges and get them all bob on so I have super smooth shutting doors :yahoo:

I think they just screw in, torx but. I haven't taken mine out.

MC

I'm hoping its something simple like that. Either way, it'll be easy for me to knock something up on my lathe to the accuracy I need.

Ground a slot through the top of the bolt and unwound with a screwdriver:

FSB72bk.jpg

RzJ98sK.jpg

Couldn't get the hinge apart and trying alsorts. But after all the messing about its removed most the play from the central hinge pin so I gave up and bolted it back on the car with an M6 High Tensile Allen caphead bolt. Also replaced the other hinge bolt with the same as those bolts are like cheese.

Door now shuts like new again. :?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back