Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 32
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 31
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 5
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

PindiXpress
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enthralling read as always H. Shame about the original lump, must have been very frustrating. Modified cars eh.

As an aside, would be interested in buying the paddle clutch if you still have it.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO swapped it for the 4.0 RS item, it had no place in a road car, all the moreso when OE, completely streetable options are readily available.
It was a very strange choice, but having seen the innards of the Frankenstein engine and its install, perhaps not that strange ...

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Last Henry, this has been a long time coming! What a fabulous car and equally fabulous write up, I salute you, Sir Salut

I saw the bodgery that had taken place first hand. Truly shocking levels of 'preparation', the poor original owner must have been tearing his hair out, paying premium prices for back street quality.

You are quite right about many engine tuners being t**ts, most these days simply rely on google to supply their knowledge. In the case of your car's original 'tuner', I feel that supplying his racing budget for the year took precedence over building what surely would have been (and now is) the finest Mark 1 GT3. Shocking. The guy had no morals and even less conscience.

But, just look at what you have now..... what an epic and seriously beautiful car you now own. To my eyes, it sits perfectly. Zanzibar surely is the prettiest of all Mark1 colours?

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh soon, assuming this pesky rain disappears.

Thank you so much for sharing this with 911uk, this forum has a good number of modified cars onboard. Yours must sit at the top of the tree though!

Mike.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Mike, I hope you’re well ?
Yes, this weather has rather put a dampener on proceedings. I did get caught in a couple of heavy downpours whilst out in the car on Sunday evening. I must admit I’d harboured some concerns over driving the car in the wet, but they were ill-founded, and even with it’s current slightly compromised geo set up and ride heights, the car was grippier than expected and fun/confidence inspiring to drive. Though the brand new rear Cup 2’s may have played a significant part in that !!

For those interested, here’s the final dyno plot after mapping, if you squint hard enough you can just make out the headline figure :

Those of you wondering about the levels of “bodgery” Mike and I are alluding to, may like this gem.

The car was fitted with some very expensive, circa £8K, JRZ 3 way adjustable, remote canister dampers.

Bearing in mind the significant cost of these items, you’d have thought some time, effort and maybe even a bit of care would have gone in to mounting the canisters ? Perhaps use some good quality billet alloy brackets to mount them securely ? And locate them where they could be easily accessed, perhaps even “on show” ?

But no, cable ties and double sided foam tape were clearly the only things to hand that day ...

To make access to the compression adjusters possible, the plastic scuttle tidy panels had been drilled, hacked and bludgeoned accordingly.

Unfortunately the resultant “openings” were in the wrong place for the adjusters, so despite ruining over £100 worth of plastic mouldings, the original objective failed miserably.

When you consider removing the battery cover takes all of 5 seconds, and if the retaining screws and their rubber/brass inserts in the flitch panels are properly maintained, the scuttle tidy panels take all of a minute a side to remove, this attempt at a “quality install” looks less than well thought out, or indeed convincing ...

Regrettably pretty much every aspect of the car that had been modified (or indeed worked on) was similarly bodged.

Diggermeister
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
...so you’ll be seeing it over at Paul’s Digga, as he said he’s expecting your car in this week ?...
A front bumper on yours and the minutest of scuffs on the rear bumper of mine. I like to keep it looking pristine!

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coullstar wrote:
Oh god yes you need to, turning into my favourite ever 996 for sure!!! Just paint it cobalt and your done Laughing Thumb

Cobalt you say ?
Hmmm, the Cup engine into this :

Proper (the best ?) 996 hotrod...

coullstar
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like mine, Id settle for the engine.

IMG_20181125_135901.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  917.59 KB
 Viewed:  2138 Time(s)

IMG_20181125_135901.jpg

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good here thanks H. The power curve is ideal, the plateau at the top is what we look for, as when you change gear in the higher ratios the motor is still producing its maximum thrust. When viewing power vs speed through all gears, typically on a Dynojet 'dyno' (not my favourite by any stretch), the power plateaus become very evident. Much area under the curve! Kudos to Wayne for his diligent work there, excellent stuff!

I hadn't seen those particular gems of damper butchery, what on earth was the thinking behind it?Other than making the quickest buck possible that is..... Grim.

I read one of your other posts about the comfort levels afforded by Cup2 tyres, I've found exactly the same thing on my Turbo, way quieter and more comfortable than the PS2s the car had worn previously. The exact opposite of what I had expected and a most welcome addition, not to mention the hugely increased grip thumbsup

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coullstar wrote:
Looks a bit like mine, Id settle for the engine.

That, is lovely. Cloud 9

Ducktails look so good on a N/B 996 coupe.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:
All good here thanks H. The power curve is ideal, the plateau at the top is what we look for, as when you change gear in the higher ratios the motor is still producing its maximum thrust. When viewing power vs speed through all gears, typically on a Dynojet 'dyno' (not my favourite by any stretch), the power plateaus become very evident. Much area under the curve! Kudos to Wayne for his diligent work there, excellent stuff!

I hadn't seen those particular gems of damper butchery, what on earth was the thinking behind it?Other than making the quickest buck possible that is..... Grim.

I read one of your other posts about the comfort levels afforded by Cup2 tyres, I've found exactly the same thing on my Turbo, way quieter and more comfortable than the PS2s the car had worn previously. The exact opposite of what I had expected and a most welcome addition, not to mention the hugely increased grip thumbsup

Evening/Morning Mike. I can definitely vouch for the fact it's still producing its maximum thrust when you change gear in the higher ratios Surprised

Grin

I've been out in the car for a few hours this evening, luckily I managed to find a window in the rain and thus had three hours of bone dry tarmac on which to scrub the Cup 2's in. As you've said, grip aplenty, though I think they have their work cut out on the GT3 !!

I'm slowly getting to grips with the car and it's brakes, suspension, power delivery etc. With the Ohlins warmed through (and the tyres) it's an amazing piece of kit, all in all very similar to my old Manthey K400 car, but with a healthy dose of extra grunt.
I'll PM you to make arrangements for you to experience it first hand from the passenger seat Mr. Green

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised ...

Open Youtube Page

And if the above doesn't work :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaxtAinCsiM

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ear-gasmic!! What a sound Cloud 9

When all cars become electric, even duller than they are nowadays, I hope to God that petrol is still available so you can drive that car and awaken the brain-dead!! Superb sound track....

The idle is very choppy - much worse than I anticipated, but once under the minutest load it seems to pull cleanly and without drama.

Oh yes indeed, I'll take a ride in the car at some point this year, just let me know a suitable weekend. I won't be able to get in if you have a front cage fitted, sadly.

coullstar
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised worship

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:
Ear-gasmic!! What a sound Cloud 9

When all cars become electric, even duller than they are nowadays, I hope to God that petrol is still available so you can drive that car and awaken the brain-dead!! Superb sound track....

The idle is very choppy - much worse than I anticipated, but once under the minutest load it seems to pull cleanly and without drama.

Oh yes indeed, I'll take a ride in the car at some point this year, just let me know a suitable weekend. I won't be able to get in if you have a front cage fitted, sadly.

Hi Mike,
The choppy idle is pretty standard for a 996/997 Cup :

1.30 onwards here :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDlrCI0ysw

and as we discussed is a function of the duration/overlap of the cams that allow it to breath so well at the top end (as you can hear from the video...)
Wayne controls the idle with the Motronic’s ability to advance and retard the timing quickly at idle and thus avoid stalling.
Once warmed up from cold (3-4 minutes) and on the move, the power delivery is pretty much seamless all the way to redline.
Strangely the idle of the Mk 1 GT3 was always very lumpy compared to the Mk 2, perhaps due to infinitely variable Variocam and a more powerful ECU on the later car ? Personally I always thought it imbued the car/engine with more character, and the Cup engine echoes the rough tickover (almost like a cylinder or two drop out every 10 rotations of the crank) of the standard car.
It can be heard in the last 5 seconds of this clip of my old Manthey K400 converted car :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PeHWqBAt_rk

LaSource
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slippydiff wrote:
LaSource wrote:
Wow - a bit of a journey for you but a very cool destination!

First dibs on when you want to move it on Very Happy

...oh, and we really must take it to a circuit to benchmark it. First dibs on helping out with that Very Happy

Love it - proper cup car on the road!

Done T ...

(in exchange for a minimum of 20 hours photography tuition) Mr. Green

Done!!
BMW E39 M5, BMW E46 M3
Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE

Previous:
981 GT4 3.8 Clubsport
2x 997 GT3 RS 4.0 White and White
2x 997 GT3 RS 3.8 RHD and LHD
2x 996 GT3 RS Blue and Red
2x 996 GT3 Mk2 Clubsport and Comfort

Y2K
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great at 60 mph Smile

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y2K wrote:
Sounds great at 60 mph Smile

Allowing for speedo error and a 10% allowance before the BiB get awkward, I reckon that 66mph and not a single mph more ... Mr. Green

Kev.K
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought building a house was stressful and expensive.

Awesome car.

IMI A
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best sounding cars I’ve ever heard.

Slippydiff
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev.K wrote:
And I thought building a house was stressful and expensive.

Awesome car.

Trust me, fettling a car such as the GT3 is child’s play compared with building houses !!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: