Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 changeover valve(s) fault

Couple of weeks back I noticed a distinct change in Herman's exhaust tone. I thought I was imagining it tbh (but Herman was sounding distinctly 997) :grin:

Anyway sure enough today a warning light appears as below:

Little bit of internet research and a changeover valve (solenoid) seems the most likely cause and a common issue on early 991's. Presumably these valves never finished up as an actual FOC recall? As the exhaust has lost the tone almost completely am I oversimplifying it in that it is likely to be the sound symposer valve? Or a problem with a hose? And would this trigger the above warning light?

suntrust bank near me open now

Also would this presumably be the dreaded OPC fix only? Presuming it is the above, likely costs? Just to clarify temp runs as normal as does everything else including the standard PSE rumble, just the unique '991" sound has gone.

Thanks in advance

. Cooling Solenoids on mine had just been done when I bought the car at 4 years old. Sorry not sure if it was a recall or warranty.

I did see that there were some on a recall as a lot failed on the early cars. Others might have more detail...I think demort knew about it...

G2 thanks for the reply, anyone else have any ideas, recommendations for an Indy Northwest who can also reset the warning light?

I always used JMH in Holmes Chapel, very good service.

Sorry .. i thought you new the fault so i didnt post again ..

deMort said:
Yup .. seen it many times .. there are about 8 electric valves all run by a single vacuum pipe / system .. if one of the valves fails or looses vacuum then they all fail .

The only fault you as the driver sees is this message .

There have been a couple of campaigns / recalls on this fault but that was a few years back..

Either way its a split vacuum pipe or a valve thats leaking .

Original valves were grey .. superseded to another modified grey one which was in turn replaced by a black one .

Garage job im afraid .. does not have to be an OPC but if under warranty then use an OPC .

Indy would find the fault quicker if they use a smoke machine which i'm pretty sure OPC,s don't have .. at least my last one didn't .

Quickest way to find it would be to use a smoke machine on the main vacuum pipe leading to all of these ...

Sports exhaust is also one of these valves so if x1 fails then every valve fails .

deMort said:
Sorry .. i thought you new the fault so i didnt post again ..

deMort said:
Yup .. seen it many times .. there are about 8 electric valves all run by a single vacuum pipe / system .. if one of the valves fails or looses vacuum then they all fail .8

The only fault you as the driver sees is this message .

There have been a couple of campaigns / recalls on this fault but that was a few years back..

Either way its a split vacuum pipe or a valve thats leaking .

Original valves were grey .. superseded to another modified grey one which was in turn replaced by a black one .

Garage job im afraid .. does not have to be an OPC but if under warranty then use an OPC .

Indy would find the fault quicker if they use a smoke machine which i'm pretty sure OPC,s don't have .. at least my last one didn't .

Quickest way to find it would be to use a smoke machine on the main vacuum pipe leading to all of these ...

Sports exhaust is also one of these valves so if x1 fails then every valve fails .

Thanks DeMort, so just to clarify all 8 (may) need changing?

Edit. Or presuming it's the sound symposer valve (that's all that has stopped working) change that one first? Also is it true there are 2 more with the X51 pack?

Booked in to Sports and classic next week. Wilmslow OPC were as helpful as ever, first available appointment at the end of July ! :frustrated:

spongebob squarepants said:
Booked in to Sports and classic next week. Wilmslow OPC were as helpful as ever, first available appointment at the end of July ! :frustrated:

Wilmslow must have 3 cars in their workshop then :floor:

I bought my car from them and had a couple of early issues...3rd brake-light warning (rear wiring loom replacement blamed on spoiler function).....micro blisters on roof panel the size of a thumbnail (replacement panel fitted) returned as in fitting panel they had damaged the sunroof air deflector. IPOD classic connectivity issue that they said was fixed but wasn't. (1 week)

First 10 weeks of ownership...5 weeks in garage :frustrated:

They are so slooooooooow :nooo:

Did you get my PM Sponge ?

These valves share a single vacuum pipe so if one fails and causes a leak then they all stop working.

It can be as simple as a vacuum pipe has pulled off a single valve .. i have seen it .

I would expect though it will be a single valve that needs replacing .

I had a 991 in today i was working on so took a few pictures of it to give you an idea .. we have to remove the spoiler / rear pu and airbox to gain access to most of the valves .. some are under the car though.

Depending on the model then there is upto 8 valves , i'm afraid i can't say on the X51 if there are more but i doubt it .

The recall valves were black .. you can see on the second image a grey one .. this has been replaced since the recall .. basically they still fail .

Original recall was due to dirt ingress jamming them .. a modified version was released which was again superseded with another modified one and a second recall ... this was back at the beginning of the 991 though , i left in 2014 so have no knowledge of these after that.

Indys don't do recalls :D

Attachments

• dsc_0006_140.jpg
    dsc_0006_140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5,152
  • no_bumper_655.jpg
    no_bumper_655.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member