Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP: car gone bang

dickstar1977

Morning all

Driving my car to work this morning all fine, pulled in to the work car park and was doing about 5 miles an hour down the down ramp when there was a noise I can only describe as running over some man hole covers, car immediate died.

No smoke before hand and running very well. Tried to turn it back on, turned over but would start. Temperature was fine.

Checked the oil and plenty and clean but the coolant reservoir is nearly empty. I checked it a few weeks ago and it was OK

Guessing some sort of catastrophic engine failure but any ideas welcome. Waiting for recover to go to Zentrum Porsche now 😣

Thanks Tom

Any deposits on the floor?

Check engine light?

Maybe not as bad as you think. You say coolant reservoir is nearly empty which means the coolant is still in the lines & radiators & temp is fine so would not think its seized

No engine warning lights, no messages on the display and they where no signs of overheating or other lights coming on before it happened

Still sait waiting for recovery

So yes, basically what happened:

Car been driving fine and every day, not temp warning and no warning lights. 5 minute drive to work this morning and the car was warm. pulled in to the work car park and then loud noise which sounded like running over a metal ramp or man hole cover and then the car stopped.

Will have to see what zentrum say but no hopeful if there is no coolant in the tank............

IMS was replaced with a ceramic 2 years ago and the car is on 75K with a full history

Wondered if anyone had ever had similar situation?
Cheers Tom

Yep

Got to be honest I don't expect things to be pretty or cheap....... bloody love the car and had nearly ten year fun out of her but now expecting an eye watering bill for full rebuild or new engine! gutted

Could be anything. Good thing it stopped quickly and you haven't restarted it.

We even had a flywheel failure not so long ago that at first glance sounded terminal. Might even be electrical.

I'd suggest not trying to start it at all.

First thing I would do it check the clutch is working and try turning it over by hand.

Then I'd drop the oil and sump. Actually you might want to check the dipstick, the water must have gone somewhere.

I'd be incredibly wary of any car with a non original IMS bearing, unless it had been fitted with the IMS on the bench by a reputed engine builder, there is so much to go wrong in-situ IMO.

Morning all

IMS was done as engine put when done.

No news yet, waiting anxiously for them to call

Cheers tom

dickstar1977 said:
IMS was done as engine put when done.

What do you mean?

Also, when you tried starting the engine and it turned over were there any weird noises?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back