Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Where to go next

solaris

Trainee
I'm currently selling my 997 turbo tip after throughly enjoying the ownership, it's a tremendous car the best I've owned (head over to the classified if you fancy buying it)
Now I was dead set about moving to the 997.1 Turbo manual and even found a 1.5 manual I was going to pull the trigger on. However I find my self in a dilemma I've spotted a 997.1 gt3 that I quite like and every time I go to see a turbo I'm always thinking of a gt3 - which is surprising as I've always thought I'd be a turbo only man but I rather do like the sense of occasion the gt3 delivers.

I'd like to hear about fellow forum members that have moved from turbo to gt3, any regrets ? Does it get boring without the surge ?

I would test drive both, see what you think. A 997.15 manual turbo would be superb. But then so would a GT3.

MC

I'm totally unqualified to comment, but naturally aspirated engines are so much fun to take towards the redline.

In the Turbo surely you run out of road too quickly to do that...

I would try something different to your current Turbo.

No reference point for this but...GT3 all day long

If I could I'd get a GT3.

Another one for the GT3, a turbo is a turbo, a Gt3 is the holy grail. The turbo would only win as an everyday car.

As a road car, used as a tool for getting from A to B very quickly, I doubt that there would be much in it.

The best single paragraph I've ever heard to describe the difference is that the GT3 would be like using a precision instrument to do the job whilst the Turbo would be like using a heavy hammer.

IMO how effective each would be would depend upon the driver and how skilled they are at getting the best from each implement and/or how much effort they want to put in to learn how to use it.

My view is that, on most UK roads, mere mortals like me will never get near the limits of a Turbo or a GT3 - race tracks are different of course.
So I find comparisons about "which is faster?" are pointless. All modern Porsches are much more capable than the UK roads on which they travel. And probably, those who drive them!

So it comes down to issues like looks (I find the GT cars too aggressive and shouty, personally), practicality (will a GT3 clear the billion speed cushions round here?), power delivery (NA revs versus FI low down shove), sound and other stuff specific to each individual.

Forget the Top Trumps / The "Stig" stuff, drive each car and see which one puts a bigger smile on your face, and which you prefer. To be fair, that's pretty much what posters have said on this thread.

I too am unqualified to advice as have never owned or driven a GT3 in anger

What i can say is for a manual greabox turbo (only a 996 modified one tho) is that i have a sense of occasion every time i use it. The sheer grunt read g force! and speed it can attain so quickly makes me grin constantly. My car is set up for fast road and i love it. I aint no race driver but when pushing on is the one for me

I will also say a manual turbo is very involving, i need to really concentrate when "on it"!

Go and drive the cars you are interested in back to back or as close a time as you can and go from there

You have had a turbo tho, so maybe its time for the GT3 if you like it!

I know, thats no help what so ever? GOODLUCK

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back