Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yatesy's Beer Can Boffin Bodge

Alex

Nordschleife
Just seen a post about blowing exhaust sleeves and realised I hadn't posted a recent fix I did on mine.

I've had issues more than once with the cat to back box exhaust sleeves on my 996. They always start weeping after a period and there's nothing as annoying as a boffing exhaust note!!

Last week I thought I'd have a go at something different and as yet after a few hundred spirited miles it's still holding up. I decided to create an air-tight bandage that would seal the gap between the two pipes, then refit the sleeves over the top. I was going to go down Halfords and buy a couple of those Holts ones but thought "where's the fun in that!"

So in typical Yatesy fashion - time for a couple of cheap Aldi Beers. :drink:

Polish them off in lightning speed, pull out the sciccors and bathroom sealant and get to work - Blue Peter style:

The donor can (+1 another one swiftly behind it :grin: )

BtiH8hb.jpg

Get to work with the scissors

D2iOHss.jpg

Check for size

8jvgu67.jpg

yRV4MqN.jpg

Copious amounts of silicone bathroom sealant

bfm8hiF.jpg

Then wrap round the joints

dSl6HkR.jpg

LSmY3Ry.jpg

Will be interesting seeing if it lasts :grin:

Love it!
I'm not certain the sealant is necessary, but then Beefeater has made me make some strange choices in my time.

I once tried to use jubilee clips on the same joint. They lasted about two weeks. However, I'm sure if you're using the rest of the standard joint hardware you'll be fine.

Cheers!

Yes - the beer cans can not be seen as I've refit the original sleeves and clamps back over the top of them.

did the idea come to you before or after the beers? just curious ;D

It actually came after 3 pints of lager, bottle of Semillon Sauvignon Blanc and a few shots of Soplica Quince Vodka Liqueur. :grin:

Is that called "upcycling" :?:

Dunno about the silicone Alex, I bought some a few weeks ago and the data sheet said possible "spontaneous combustion" :nooo:

Szymon informed me the next morning my engine 'is on fire' when we rocked up at a local car show last week, but I think that was just the paint on the can burning off :eek:

Been fine since and the excess sealant that squeezed out under clamping it still intact and squidgy.

Notice it does say "ALL PURPOSE" on the tube.

Alex said:
Notice it does say "ALL PURPOSE" on the tube.

There are limits to that term you know :floor:

I found that out after trying to make a home made "perfect fit" condom out the stuff :nooo:

So is this to stop the water dripping or do you actually hear it?

You could hear it blowing and see black soot round the seal of the original sleeves. Haven't checked yet if it stop the condensation and dripping.

You'll be surprised how long this lasts!!

I did a similar repair using beer cans on one of the exhausts of my 2.8 Capri when on a holiday in Wales in the 80s as a temporary repair. Intending to get it properly sorted when I got home, it was on the eve of an MOT that I decided to get a proper replacement exhaust fitted - some 6 months later!!

:thumb: Brilliant, when I was a kid I repaired the exhaust on my Lambretta with a baked bean can. Had no money then still fitted when I sold it on :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back