Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Been reversed into. Quick estimate of new parts.

Legzr1

Trainee
Hello, long time lurker and I've picked up some great tips and ideas over the last few years so thanks for that.

Even sourced my M030 suspension and exhausts from the classifieds on here.

Just 30 minutes ago I've been involved in a low speed accident - followed a young lad into my estate when he decided to stop, select reverse and drive straight into me. Continuous blast on the horn made no difference. Even after the impact he continued trying to reverse!

The rage has subsided enough so I can post a quick couple of questions.

He's basically admitted fault, apologised a number of times and was white as a sheet. I have his reg. number, car type, mobile phone number and my daughter has found his FB profile.

As a young driver he's concerned over making a claim on his Insurance (As the father of a similar aged daughter I get this) and he's asked me to gather a rough estimate of costs of damage with the possibility of him paying rather than going through the Insurance companies.

I'm aware of the pitfalls involved but could anyone give me a rough idea of costs for parts listed plus fitting?

I'll ring my local Indy tomorrow so this is just to give me an idea.

Thanks for any help (and advice re: the claim - I'm fully expecting this to go through the Insurance to be honest).

Drivers side headlight.
Side repeater indicator.
(Possibly) drivers side wing.
Front bumper/PU (looks like a C4S or Turbo PU but fitted to an 03 C2).
Paint to match.

Thanks again.
Pissed off that my first question is because of a pointless little scrape.

Legz.

Having been through a similar event recently in my other car, just contact your Insurance and let them sort. Unfortunately doing a seemingly good deed ended up being a total nightmare - 7 months on and still yet to recover costs of repairs.

TurboRob said:
Having been through a similar event recently in my other car, just contact your Insurance and let them sort. Unfortunately doing a seemingly good deed ended up being a total nightmare - 7 months on and still yet to recover costs of repairs.

Thanks for that and it's what I expected people to say. I'm 99% certain I'll be contacting my Insurance company but I did tell him I'd make enquiries and the costs might be eye-watering.

It's typical really - just spent over £4500 on it and it's booked in for paint correction and detail on Tuesday - looks like I'll be cancelling that then...

Agree with turbo rob, it's nice to help someone out but it could be a nightmare, give the Insurance to sort!
Also understand a headlight unit is around £1200 :dont know:

bakerboy4s said:
Agree with turbo rob, it's nice to help someone out but it could be a nightmare, give the Insurance to sort!
Also understand a headlight unit is around £1200 :dont know:

Thanks for the reply.

This could end up with my car written off!!

The value of the car isn't great, the mileage huge and those sort of prices are scary - I'll need to add paint and fitting to the parts costs too.

:x :x :x

and the new hesdlight will not match the old one!!!

Go via Insurance woudl be my wise words?

Whatever you do, try not to let them write it off!!!

If the damage is confined to what you say and the only damaged metalwork is the wing, your car can easily be repaired to as new condition. Headlights are expensive and you may want to source a 2nd hand item to match you other light! Is it a facelift car or an early model, the earlier car's lights are much more readily available as they were also used on the Boxster. Zenon lights are much more expensive.....

Any pics so we can make a more educated guess?

Based on what you've written and going through an insurer you'll be looking at a minimum of £3-4k damage, probably more as they'll use OPC book rates and new parts.

On the other hand, you can get a wing for £100 from a breaker, headlight from £3-500, PU from £3-400 and paint at your local bodyshop for £3-500. So you might be looking at as little as £1k if you go this route and do some of the work yourself.

(all the above dependent on the actual damage, not just my imagination based on what you've said)

:thumb:

Thanks for all the replies.

Decided to do the right thing and it's now in the hands of the insurers.
All the details supplied by the other driver have checked out and he's insured so first worry is out of the way.

The car (2003 C2 with turbo fromt PU, aero skirts and rear wing and dodgy '997 look' headlight covers) is being picked up on Monday for assessment. I had a quick chat with my insurer and nothing is guaranteed until full inspection but the chance of it being written off is quite high - as already mentioned above the cost of new OE plastic is quite scary :x

Thanks for the post mentioning using used parts to get it back to fair condition - my insurer mentioned the option of buy-back if written off - around 20% of settlement.
This is a high mileage low spec 996 so I won't be expecting a great offer but that means a buy-back would be around £2000. That makes for a cheap 911! (Trying to look for positives...).

I've got an image of the damage taken just after it happened but it's not the best and doesn't really show the difference in gap between wing and bonnet or the crack in The headlight but I'll try posting it here.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• 5ea66c01_7664_4457_ae7d_dc88160869d9_207.jpeg
    5ea66c01_7664_4457_ae7d_dc88160869d9_207.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3,284
Interesting lights, are they red covers over them?

ragpicker said:
Even that bumper is quite easy to repair without needing a new one!

I suspect you could have that all put right for much less than a grand. Buy it back and save the money!

:thumb:

Food for thought, thanks.

I'm not sure what I would do with it if I'm offered the option of buy-back.
I put a deposit down on a 997T a couple of weeks ago which I'm due to pick up next month so the timing of this is a little annoying.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun - I don't even know if it's going to be repaired or written-off yet! Just the idea of a £3K all-in 996 made me think...

Interesting lights, are they red covers over them?

Yes, just covers. I'm not keen on them but they were fitted to the car when I got it years ago by a previous owner.

Legzr1 said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Decided to do the right thing and it's now in the hands of the insurers.
All the details supplied by the other driver have checked out and he's insured so first worry is out of the way.

The car (2003 C2 with turbo fromt PU, aero skirts and rear wing and dodgy '997 look' headlight covers) is being picked up on Monday for assessment. I had a quick chat with my insurer and nothing is guaranteed until full inspection but the chance of it being written off is quite high - as already mentioned above the cost of new OE plastic is quite scary :x

Thanks for the post mentioning using used parts to get it back to fair condition - my insurer mentioned the option of buy-back if written off - around 20% of settlement.
This is a high mileage low spec 996 so I won't be expecting a great offer but that means a buy-back would be around £2000. That makes for a cheap 911! (Trying to look for positives...).

I've got an image of the damage taken just after it happened but it's not the best and doesn't really show the difference in gap between wing and bonnet or the crack in The headlight but I'll try posting it here.

Again, thanks for the replies.

In general, a total loss (write-off) starts to look possible when repairs are around 50-60% of the Insurance company estimate of the car's value. If its insured for agreed value that figure will not be based on their estimate of the car's (market) value, but the agreed valuation.

I'm not sure about your buy-back calculation if its written off.
I understand it to mean that if you want to keep the write-off vehicle, they will make a deduction of 20% off their wtite off value that they will give you. So that means if they offer £12k as a write off and you elect to keep the scrapped car, they will only pay 80% of their offer = £9,600 and then you can meet your own repair costs (if thats what you want) or dispose of the vehicle yourself.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back