Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oh b*&%€11s handbrake shoe problems

Haywoon

No one wants to see their porker like this......

Handbrake shoes in rear hub decided to implode! My own fault for not using it enough! Now safely in the hands of Quorn Sports and Classics for a major service, MOT, sort out handbrake shoe issues and a small amount of welding on the PSE!

Thank goodness for home recovery cover or the bill would be even bigger!

The symptoms were I went to move the car and it drove forward about 2 feet and then encountered some resistance as if there was a block of wood under the wheels - top tip here - don't press on regardless like I did. After that point it freed (I assume mechanism in rear hub went bang) and from then on a horrendous banging sound as the wheels turned - clearly not fit to drive thus the recovery.

Doh!

Attachments

• a8325cdf_c976_4230_aafe_1424b3079414_153.jpeg
    a8325cdf_c976_4230_aafe_1424b3079414_153.jpeg
    859.5 KB · Views: 1,303
I've seen this a few times on Boxsters .. the shoe material becomes detached from the shoe and locks the wheel .. it can cause damage shall we say but each instance i've seen it was repairable without a new hub being needed .

An OPC never checks these on any service ..

An indy . well mine at least and i expect the others remove the disc and checks the handbrake on a Major service ... did one today for Forum member !

I've found many that are starting to detach at this point .. so new handbrake shoes are fitted .

There is nothing that you can do as an owner imho .. sometimes it happens .. most times they go on forever .

Love the car btw .. C4S .. gorgeous looking car .

deMort said:
I've seen this a few times on Boxsters .. the shoe material becomes detached from the shoe and locks the wheel .. it can cause damage shall we say but each instance i've seen it was repairable without a new hub being needed .

An OPC never checks these on any service ..

An indy . well mine at least and i expect the others remove the disc and checks the handbrake on a Major service ... did one today for Forum member !

I've found many that are starting to detach at this point .. so new handbrake shoes are fitted .

There is nothing that you can do as an owner imho .. sometimes it happens .. most times they go on forever .

Love the car btw .. C4S .. gorgeous looking car .

Thank you deMort - this was a full OPC history car and was due to go to my Indy but I managed to contribute to buggering it before they got chance to do the preventative maintenance. Another lesson learned and the car will be back good as new tomorrow with a major service under its belt ready to be used throughout the summer!

i don't wish to unduly attack OPC .. i spent many a happy year at one .. but they follow the rules and check only what's needed .. bonus / time spent on jobs is always monitored .

These do need checking once in a while and Indys have to fight for the work so we offer more .. things like checking handbrakes .. checking brake pipes / waxoil ... painting wheel bolts and disc hubs are all things we do to try and get the work in to be honest .

Major at opc . 2- 3 hrs ... i spend 5 at an indy , to be fair that does include a plug replacement .

It's always a customers choice .. but i look back on what i did .. and what i do now .. rather different shall we say .

Good luck with the repair .. from what i've seen it will be bad but not Really bad if you know what i mean :thumb:

deMort said:
i don't wish to unduly attack OPC .. i spent many a happy year at one .. but they follow the rules and check only what's needed .. bonus / time spent on jobs is always monitored .

These do need checking once in a while and Indys have to fight for the work so we offer more .. things like checking handbrakes .. checking brake pipes / waxoil ... painting wheel bolts and disc hubs are all things we do to try and get the work in to be honest .

Major at opc . 2- 3 hrs ... i spend 5 at an indy , to be fair that does include a plug replacement .

It's always a customers choice .. but i look back on what i did .. and what i do now .. rather different shall we say .

Good luck with the repair .. from what i've seen it will be bad but not Really bad if you know what i mean :thumb:

Yeah I hear ya.

My Indy is run by two ex OPC guys and both sound blokes - I don't blame the techs by any means - hate the game not the player in this case. It's no wonder so many leave the main dealers to apply their trade elsewhere.

Unfortunate, but sadly not uncommon Haywoon :nooo:

I never leave the Handbrake on anymore, for some reason on Porschas handbrake shoes ALWAYS stick to the drum/disk, I pull the handbrake on, then turn the engine off, select first gear then drop the handbrake off a notch, they don`t stick then and the mechanism is being used, so doesn`t sieze up :thumb:

kurlykris said:
Unfortunate, but sadly not uncommon Haywoon :nooo:

I never leave the Handbrake on anymore, for some reason on Porschas handbrake shoes ALWAYS stick to the drum/disk, I pull the handbrake on, then turn the engine off, select first gear then drop the handbrake off a notch, they don`t stick then and the mechanism is being used, so doesn`t sieze up :thumb:

Excellent tip thank you :thumbs:

Paynewright said:
Mine is garaged - always just leave in gear handbrake off.

Me too - suppose we'll end up with the cables seized :?

If the car is garaged and dry when it's put there then nothing will happen .. cables won't seize .. shoes won't rust to the discs ..

you need moisture for that to happen ..

Either its been washed and put away wet.. ( a drive around the block drys it out ) .. or the garage leaks .

No moisture and no problem .

This is exactly what happened to mine a few months ago, shoes delaminated causing debris and then the push button lock bracket snapped (poss caused by the handbrake shoe material getting wedged?) an enormous bang.

Ended up stripping both and replacing shoes, hardware and push button lock bracket in both sides. It's a horrible noise, i thought the engine had fallen out 😂

deMort said:
If the car is garaged and dry when it's put there then nothing will happen .. cables won't seize .. shoes won't rust to the discs ..

you need moisture for that to happen ..

Either its been washed and put away wet.. ( a drive around the block drys it out ) .. or the garage leaks .

No moisture and no problem .

This is exactly what caused mine - I should have known better - won't be doing that again!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back