Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

is my battery dead?

michaelbbwalker

Trainee
997.1.. haven't really used it much lately, went to start it and the battery was flat... couldn't even start it with my starter pack attached..

so today we pushed it out of the garage and connected it up to a running car to try a real jump start... still wouldn't turn enough to actually start it!

ive had the car 2.5 years, no idea when the battery was replaced before I owned it - is it likely the battery is just completely kaput now?

if so, i had looked at a Bosch s5? or whatever it is, last year when I had problems getting the car started - does anyone have a link where i can get one, the right one?

thanks

You need to check it with a voltmeter to see how low the voltage has dropped, normally below 10.5 V and it will be damaged (dead cell) and need replacing.

When you hook up a booster/starter you should leave it connected for 10 minutes or so to equalize the voltage of the 2 batteries before attempting to start the car.

The batteries in my Porsches do well to last 3 years as I don`t leave them on a battery tender when not being used :lol:

I`ve gone Varta E44 on my cars :grin:

I have no idea how to use a voltmeter, i am rubbish with stuff like that.

the starter pack i use is a pretty big heavy duty one, i have used it 2 or 3 times over the last few months and it normally starts straight away, this time though it just does not want to kick into life! the car just turns over really slowly and doesn't do much else...
the starter back does have a display on it, which says some voltages, i don't know if that refers to the battery, or the volts in the starter pack
:lol: not a lot of help i know.

i found this:
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5010/

Yep, that`ll do the job for you :thumb:

Bosch aren`t that good though, in my opinion, but it is cheap enough :grin:

Be prepared for a bucket full of warning lights and messages when you fire her up, don`t panic, just go for a drive for a few miles and they will clear :grin:

Just replaced my old bosch s7 with that s8. Europarts had a deal on £88 I think delivered it in 2 hours for free.

deMort gave me a great run through on replacing the battery.

Was all straight forward I'll find the thread

i am assuming my battery is dead...
so if i order a new one, what's the correct order for removing the terminals, battery etc so i dont set off the alarm and break everything?

just saw your post about ECP, when i look on there its 224 quid! how did you get it for 88 quid?

Hovis said:
Just replaced my old bosch s7 with that s8. Europarts had a deal on £88 I think delivered it in 2 hours for free.

deMort gave me a great run through on replacing the battery.

Was all straight forward I'll find the thread

deMort said:
997 and you don't need the key in the ignition .. you can have it position one if you want but unnecessary to have the dash lights on .

undo the neg terminal first then the pos , on refitting then pos first THEN neg .

Undo the clamp .

Unplug the breather pipe if fitted .

Put a towel in the boot and another in front of the battery on the plastic paneling.

Climb in and lift the battery onto the towel .. then its easier to lift it out of the car rather than leaning over the wing .. that will just hurt your back !

After fitting , get in and close the doors ..

Close each window and hold the window in the up position for 5 seconds to reset the position for one touch to work .

Drive over 6 mph and the psm light will go out and not return .

Is it actually a battery fault or something discharging the battery is the question though .. need an amp meter to check that .. instructions if needed for that check .. let me know .

thank you for posting that demort...
was the last sentence part of the quote or to me? i think the battery is on its last legs, its age unknown and it was at least a fortnight since i drove it, even the last time i had to use the jumper pack a few times so i think ill try a new battery.. shame i cant get one from eurocarparts, anyone know any other shops where i can go and pick one up? i can do it on the weekend then!

That was a copy paste from what i told hovis to do . it saved me having to write it all out again .. im feeling lazy tonight :D

The last line was for Hovis as he might have had a discharge causing the battery to go flat .

Main thing to remember .. remove the negative lead first then the positive .. when refitting fit the positive FIRST then the negative lead .

Each pole has a + or a - on it .. silly i know but make sure the neg / - is o/s side of the car .. drivers side . .. the lead that goes 6 inches and bolts to the bodywork basically .

It's almost impossible to get this wrong .. but i'll just say .. like jump starting a car with the leads the wrong way round .. its extremely expensive if you do .

If you have a LHD .. left hand drive car then ignore all of the above as its reversed on these lol

Just to add, on my 997.1, you absolutely need the key in position 1 when removing the battery, else the alarm sounds.
And it's LOUD next to your head, under the bonnet!

Ps, top tip, stand in the luggage area to lift the battery in and out. Back-saver!

Have to say thanks again to deMort....

Played out exactly... even the steering re-align part. just drove about 50ms down the street and light went out.

@demort - all been good since so hoping no battery drain going on as even after a week not driving been great.

ok so my battery has arrived, seems a lot lighter than i was expecting, clearly i dont know my own strength!
the sticker on it said about removing the transit plugs, which i did, but i have seen people on here say they stick the breather pipe in one side and a transit plug in the other side? do i need to do this or can i just plug the breather pipe in one side and leave the other uncovered? does it matter which side, currently its not even plugged in to my battery...

update - fitted now, cranks nice and quick, went for a good drive and stopped and started a few times, all good, no alarms going off in my ear etc.

the battery is physically smaller than the one that was in there before, the clamp that holds the battery in place is pretty useless, i thought i had done it up quite tight but after the drive it had slid over to the side of the battery tray, away from the clamp, so i did it up a bit tighter.

is there anything i can do to stop this? put something on the other side to fill the gap? it looked like there was another hole for a smaller screw, further to the middle of the battery tray, this is probably the proper one to use, the screw / bolt holding the clamp in place is huge, i think it was a 17mm rather than 14mm which youtube told me it was...
can i buy a new battery clamp and screw from Porsche?

When you install the battery it should slide to the right and lip under the battery tray on the right hand side, you then have 2 ( or maybe 3 ) bolt holes to fit the battery clamp on the left had side as some Cabriolets are fitted with a larger battery, and I believe you can spec a larger battery from the factory as an option. The breather pipe should push into the left side hole and a bung in the right hand hole :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back