Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Belt woes

Mike74

So I've just been recovered off the M3, in my unhappy Targa 4, with the accessory drive belt not being attached to the things it needs to be attached to. The belt looks in good nick, so I'm guessing something metal has broken somewhere I can't see, as I do recall hearing a small clunk earlier about 5 mins earlier, when the steering got stiff. Are there any common bit that end to go, or is this a likely one off?

My guess would be either 3 upper idler pulley, 8 lower idler pulley or 7 tensioner pulley (most common) has failed.

No5 on this photo is the air con compressor not fitted.

ZymHGhh.jpg

Sounds like its one of the idler or tensioner pulleys that may have snapped clean off...it happened to me a few weeks back.

If that's the case they will need to remove the stud that's left in the engine block. Space is tight but its possible to do, i.e. no engine drop required, just small hands and some nifty tools!

Demort has posted on this issue several times.

I'd say a pulley's disintegrated or a pulley bolt's snapped. On my car the upper idler pulley blew itself apart a couple of months ago.

img_0149.jpg

The ones i've been banging on about and trying to get everyone who has one to get it checked is the gen 2 997 .. a different system from the above and one that can potentially cost you an awful lot of money should it fail .. and they do .

If you have a Boxster or Cayman gen 2 ( dfi engine ) then don't worry .. these don't seem to fail .

Mine's cost £400 for the two pulleys (if that's the right term) and a new belt, including labour and VAT.

Just wish they'd hurry up and deliver it back, I want to go and get some lunch!

That's not bad at all, mine cost £293.78 for three new pulleys, bolts and washers and a new belt, all OEM parts, but that was with me doing the work.

The £400 included a £65 recovery charge for them to pick up from my place and deliver back.

Belt = £35.38 +VAT
Labour = 1.5 hrs @£65 ph
Tensioner roller = £67.22 +VAT
Deflection roller = £64.77 +VAT
Consumables = £5.00 (bolts & washers?)

Grand total £401.84

Oh, and they washed it too, saves me a job this weekend. :thumbs:

Hey deMort - i have a 997.2 what am I looking for? I just tried searching back through your posts but gave up at mid-April - blimey you have a lot of posts!

Great pics Cannop, thanks for sharing, though they say a pic is worth a thousand words, but (like 160dmb) not having found the advantage of Mr DeMort`s earlier contributions on the matter, might I ask if you think/know that the pulley destruction was as the result of the bearing failing to some degree causing the plastic pulley to slip on the outer bearing surface and overheat to eventually fracture... or that the pulley material was not up to the job long term, or is it possible that any belt issues might have been the original source of the problem.

I replaced a very well worn idler wheel bearing on my friends hard driven and high mileage 928 many years ago, fortunately the wheel was steel thus no chance of it breaking up even though the bearing was audibly rumbling..I think he was lucky not to throw the cam belt with all that might have followed on from that.. :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back