Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What it's like to own a Porsche 911 for six months

joe77

Hello everyone,

In January of this year, I bought my (obtainable) dream car: a 2002 Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4S 3.6 with manual transmission. I had idolised this car for ten years. And yet six months later, I sold it, and have no regrets.

Briefly, I'm going to try and summarise the reality of owning a car like this in the UK - not the most car friendly of countries - earning a good but not outrageous salary. It's a longish post, but I reasoned that there might be a few people out there contemplating Porsche ownership: it's the closest that an average Joe can get to owning a genuine supercar.

First of all, the bad:

There was a thread a while back on "unpopular car opinions" where someone said that, unless you attend track days regularly, there is absolutely no point in getting a car with sporty suspension. Having owned such a car for six months, I have to agree. On all but pristine asphalt, the ride was unbearable. On particularly bad roads, the entire car would bounce around like a jumping bean and become dangerously unstable. This was surprising and a little heartbreaking to me, given that the Porsche 911 was supposed to be the ultimate practical sports car. I think the UK's terrible roads may ultimately have defeated it.

On a decent road, this thing is viciously fast. A lot of people think that a Porsche 911 is basically just a VW Golf that's been sexed up to look like a Ferrari. It's actually the other way around. This thing is a supercar masquerading as a runaround.

Mechanically, it was absolutely fine. Nothing went wrong for the six months and approximately 6,000 miles that it was mine. For a car nearing 100,000 miles on the odometer, that's quite a feat of engineering.

This car made some of the best noises I have ever heard. Early 996s were criticized for their muted, whispery exhaust note. The 3.6 C4S has gone so far in the other direction that Porsche have put a butterfly valve in there so you can avoid deafening your neighbours. All the time, I would see pedestrians looking round to see what in the hell was coming up behind them.

The engine was not quite flawless. It fell asleep below 2,000rpm and then had quite jerky power peaks at 3,500 and 5,500 rpm. I'm interested to see if subsequent 911s smoothed this out or improved bottom end grunt.

Porsche's famously long, tall gearing takes some getting used to. 3rd gear is good for 25mph and also good for 80mph. You can tackle long sections of corners without needing to change, which I guess is probably the intention.

Jealousy is a major problem with this car. People want to race you, regardless of what they driving. I mean, things like Transit vans and ten year old Jeep Cherokees want to race. Not only that, but people are dicks when it comes to being overtaken. On not just one but two separate occasions I had cars move across to try and force me off the road. Basically, try and kill me, whether they thought about it that way or not. Because I had an expensive car, and they didn't.

The possibility that I might kill myself in this thing is ultimately what made me part company with it. I was driving it too fast. I was overtaking in risky places. I was getting into races with fellow idiots. When you pay your own way, as I do, it's sometimes difficult to admit when you've made a mistake. And one day, I realised that I had.

I needed a new car right away, so I bought my dad's old E46 BMW 318i with 130,000 miles on the odo for £750. One twentieth of what I paid for the Porsche. And you know what? It's a great car. Practical, fun, economical and it soaks up the real world much better than the exquisitely highly-strung Porsche.

One day, I might feel the urge to buy another expensive car. But at the moment, it's worth noting that I really don't care for another. I rode that ride. I scratched that itch. I worked out, without losing too much money or face, that it just wasn't for me. And I have no regrets.

Strange first post and in the wrong section.(MOD EDIT: Moved). Everyone is entitled to their option so thanks for sharing yours.

I guess for some context, would be good to know what cars you had previously.

Thanks for posting Joe.

Personal stories are always very welcome on 911uk.

Various stories demonstrate that for some the first taste of a 911 is just ticking a box, for some it represents the pinnacle of car ownership and for others it's just the start of an epic journey.

Some people, like you, start with a 17 year old (or older) example. A few are lucky enough to start with brand spanking new ones. All have different stories to tell of their ownership experience.

You refer to your 996C4S as being 'viciously fast' so I'm suspecting that your car ownership history is not extensive, especially as you also refer to it being an expensive car so I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years you'll get another one.

ps. January to the first week in May isn't six months. :wink:

I'd started a long reply but can't be arsed.

Joe I'm sorry your 911 experience didn't work out but a lot of what you experienced might be and I'm only saying might, be down to you.

They aren't that out of this world that everyone gets jealous, although some people do so I'll give you that.
They aren't a fire breathing monster to be scared of.
A C4S should be no scarier than a Golf and is no quicker than a Golf R.
Scared of killing yourself?? You need some driver training matey. Or some self control. Whatever you do never buy a Superbike.
Jealousy?? In 15 years of 911 ownership I've had 2 or 3 experiences with ***** and that's up here in Newcastle which has its fair share of idiots. Again is it your behaviour?
A C4S should be as easy to drive and own as the BMW you've bought. Unless you take kids or luggage every journey.

As I say it's sad it hasn't worked out but I honestly think you're blowing it up into something it really isn't or you're young and a bit immature.
Failing that do you think you could be telling yourself all that as there were other factors in getting rid? We all do it to some extent.

We all have our own perspectives and opinions but honestly that's the strangest take on 911 ownership I think I've ever read. :?

I get the impression the article is a cut and paste, but interesting nonetheless.

The 4S sits on lowered sports suspension compared to a standard car, so is never going to ride like an XJ. To be honest, UK roads can make even an XJ feel leaden footed and crashy. In its defense, my 4S rides better than the A5 Quattro Sport I had before it.

They are also very maintenance sensitive; stuff like wrong suspension geometry, worn suspension components and old tyres, whilst not bad in isolation will conspire to make a car feel out of sorts. A 100k mile £15k 996 is likely to need some attention and you do not detail work done to it.

I've always found the 3.6 engine very tractable at low revs. Don't blame it if you are too lazy to change gear!

:welcome:

Reminds me of the bloke who's boss/colleagues hated him for having a Porsche...or was it the one who kept getting pulled by the cops :cop: :dont know:

Hope you are a real person and contribute further :thumb:

BeanCounter has put this to bed, just some oddball out to Troll or other useless time wasting pursuit.

1st post had me nose hairs quivering from the offset, but decided to play nice just in case.

When I read the above, it made me think of the teacher who was never heard of again.

A 12 year old in between vvanks :grin:

' manual transmission' had me doubting the veracity from the ' Get go'.......

I thought it was George Eaton.........

8)

Anyone dropped him a line, see if he's coming back?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back