Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Narrow escape - possible bore scoring.

Hertsdriver

Hi all,
Have been looking to buy a 997.1 for a while now and saw and drove a nice example which seemed to fit the bill. The owner is a forum member (although not particularly active) and had owned the car for 2 years or so. When he bought it he specifically looked for a rebuilt car like I seem to be doing, so I drove it and we agreed on a PPI by Larose Porsche in Kent. The engine had been subject to a warranty claim by a previous owner for borescoring, and as a result was rebuilt by Hartech. All 3 cylinders on bank 1 were it seems not machined out and replaced with nicasil liners but simply overbored to round and replacement pistons installed. Bank 2 was just fitted with a top brace (?) and the whole engine was treated to new big ends, small ends, and about a million gaskets and seals etc. Total bill for this work was £10k, and the engine had done around 35k when I saw the car. It seems as though the rebuild was done 'on the cheap', presumable on instruction from the owner/warranty company. I certainly cannot blame Hartech for the fact it didnt put Nicasil liners in..

PPI highlighted a number of issues on the car that I was expecting (shocks, exhaust, brake and other 'consumables') but I wasnt expecting all 6 cylinders to have scoring :eek: , needless to say neither was the current owner....

So i guess this is just a word of warning to anyone else out there who sees a car advertised as having a Hartech rebuild and thinks that will be a replacement of a proper PPI with a borescope then think again and make sure you insist on the check. And check the invoice to see exactly what has been done int he process of the engine rebuild.
:thumb:

Blimey! :eek:

As you say, a Hartech rebuild is considered the gold standard, but only as good as the person writing the cheque. Most odd to have gone to those lengths and £10k expense as actually when the engine is in bits the incremental extra costs such as a closed-deck Nikasil head are not huge over what was spent. Were it me, and the warranty company had drawn the line at new cylinder linings I would have been inclined to have paid for that element myself.

However, before setting hares running, I would be interested in Hartech's opinion on the bore-scope pics.

I'm not an engineer, but how would over-boring to round work if you fitted new pistons, unless they were also oversized...?

Bet the car owner is a tad gutted. and so will the new one be if its not declared on sale!

There needs to be more clarity on actual work done. I'm guessing only the original scored bores were sorted and now the existing ones have scored. I'd only ever touch a full 6 pack. I'm currently waiting to here from a dealer regarding the exact same thing.

"Full Hartech rebuild" can mean many things to many people.

Alex said:
There needs to be more clarity on actual work done. I'm guessing only the original scored bores were sorted and now the existing ones have scored. I'd only ever touch a full 6 pack. I'm currently waiting to here from a dealer regarding the exact same thing.

"Full Hartech rebuild" can mean many things to many people.
Correct- all of which would be factually correct, so you can't ping them for it.
Anything other than a six pack would have me walking away like Craig David :grin: :coat:
Anyone reading it at this point has that song in their head now :grin:

I only know Bo Selecta........or in this case Bore Selecta! :wack:

FZP said:
Anything other than a six pack would have me walking away like Craig David :grin: :coat:
Anyone reading it at this point has that song in their head now :grin:

Yep. Damn you! :what:

I prefer the Shaggy song... :notme:

RXBoxster said:
they wouldn't have overbored it... as oversized pistons arn't available, and aluminium cylinders either need re-coating in nikasil, or steel liners fitting.

Apologies you are correct, the invoice states:
"Carry out repair to bare crankcase
Replace cylinder 4/5/6 and machine cylinder to piston
Check roundness of cylinders 1/2/3 and install top brace
check existing pistons and match to new"

3 new OEM pistons are listed in the bill.

I believe the guy has part ex'd the car against an M5 so no doubt it will make its way back into the system....

You need to put the plate on here then.

Hertsdriver said:
RXBoxster said:
they wouldn't have overbored it... as oversized pistons arn't available, and aluminium cylinders either need re-coating in nikasil, or steel liners fitting.

Apologies you are correct, the invoice states:
"Carry out repair to bare crankcase
Replace cylinder 4/5/6 and machine cylinder to piston
Check roundness of cylinders 1/2/3 and install top brace
check existing pistons and match to new"

3 new OEM pistons are listed in the bill.

I believe the guy has part ex'd the car against an M5 so no doubt it will make its way back into the system....

It may be helpful to edit your original post as some may take your opening post and run in the wrong direction with it.

Even a description will do, eg. Artic silver manual coupe.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back