Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gmund Cars Ltd & Andrew Mearns FRAUD £1Million stolen

Pagoda1966

No, this isn't a duplicate thread.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a NEGATIVE review of Andrew Mearns/Gmund Cars Limited.

During the many sleepless nights I've had since late March when I first became aware of issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund's approach to SOR, I've deliberated long and hard about posting this negative review - character assassinations over minor or petty matters where there's usually two sides to the story are just not my style. However, on this occasion, with no grey areas over the facts and numerous broken promises, I believe it my duty to warn others.

Although some might say this thread is a little premature (2 days shy of 8 weeks?) with others having waited up to 6 months before going legal/public, due to the significant sum of money involved (in excess of £50k), I am not able to be as patient or as understanding as others have been.

THE FACTS: (happy for any of this to be challenged by Andrew Mearns/Gmund):

Car handed over to Andrew Mearns/Gmund in Autumn 2018 to market on a SOR basis. Initial price quite optimistic so subsequently reduced down to £57,495 over a period of time at my request.

11/03/19 : Communication from Andrew Mearns/Gmund notifying me of interest in the car.

(I subsequently established that the car was MOT'd on 6/03/19 - wasn't due until 1/8/19 - so I suspect this was virtually a done deal by the time I was informed).

30/03/19: DVLA notification of change of registered keeper received.

(I subsequently established via an HPI check that the change was effective 14/03/19).

30/03/19: Prompted only by communication from me, response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund that deal done but still getting car ready and plate transfer was the reason for the change of keeper.

(I know enough about buying/selling cars to know that no-one would transfer the registered keeper until payment had been received. Note, nearly 8 weeks after the change of keeper, original plate remains on the vehicle according to DVLA. Request for details of the deal struck ignored).

5/4/19: Chased Andrew Mearns/Gmund for update.

6/4/19: Chance conversation with another motor trader who was buying one of my other cars, directed me to issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund highlighted on 911UK.COM.

(I was particularly spooked by the comment made by forum member 'DPC7" that Andrew Mearns/Gmund had sold a £60k car early March so his payment could now be made - my car I presume?)

6/4/19: Request for urgent clarification of the deal reached / payment.

8/4/19: Response received - Sierra Cosworth taken in as part-exchange being delivered to its new owner 11/4/19 and payment would follow thereafter.

(They did have a Sierra Cosworth advertised on Pistonheads early March, although not on their own web-site, which I saw had been sold late March, so this seemed plausible to me. In the interests of keeping dealings friendly, I chose to overlook the fact that at least 50% of the sale proceeds had been in their possession since 14/03/19. Request for details of the deal reached again ignored).

15/04/19: Urgent update requested - no response.

22/04/19: Final warning before legal action sent.

(Not wanting to stick the knife in on a business which might have been experiencing genuine cashflow problems - although that's not really my problem as these monies should have been ring-fenced from the business account - I asked for £25k and the balance by 10/05/19).

23/04/19: Response received - payment would be made that week with further request that I did not go public on any forums.

25/04/19: Now 6 weeks since car sold & no payment received.

28/04/19: With numerous broken promises and no realistic prospects of being paid, 911UK.COM informed and solicitor instructed.

29/04/19: Response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund, payment would be made 'in the next day or so".

07/05/19: as of today, no payment received - almost 8 weeks since car sold.

Like others, I'm extremely disappointed to find myself in this position. I find it incredible that a seemingly legitimate and well respected business can be allowed to operate in this way. I also consider myself a good judge of character, but clearly, I got it badly wrong on this occasion.

I will be reporting Andrew Mearns/Gmund to Trading Standards and contacting the local press in North Yorkshire as there are some elements to this story which could make it potentially newsworthy. The fact that Andrew's wife, Samantha Mearns, is a local councillor and was the Company Secretary and a 'person with significant control" (PSC) when the vehicle was given to them in August 2018 (resigned December 2018) or that Gmund have their Open Day on 18/05/19 is not lost on me either.

Payment has been promised this week, let's see whether this promise is honoured.

Although I've done SOR before and had good experiences from the likes of JZM, not sure I'd ever do it again.

I regret that my first post on this forum is a negative one but applaud 911UK.COM for providing a platform to highlight negative experiences from those in the Porsche fraternity.

Re: Gmund Cars Limited : NEW Negative Review

Its unfortunate too hear of another bad experience with Andrew Means and Gmunds Cars.

Pagoda1966 said:
No, this isn't a duplicate thread.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a NEGATIVE review of Andrew Mearns/Gmund Cars Limited.

During the many sleepless nights I've had since late March when I first became aware of issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund's approach to SOR, I've deliberated long and hard about posting this negative review - character assassinations over minor or petty matters where there's usually two sides to the story are just not my style. However, on this occasion, with no grey areas over the facts and numerous broken promises, I believe it my duty to warn others.

Although some might say this thread is a little premature (2 days shy of 8 weeks?) with others having waited up to 6 months before going legal/public, due to the significant sum of money involved (in excess of £50k), I am not able to be as patient or as understanding as others have been.

THE FACTS: (happy for any of this to be challenged by Andrew Mearns/Gmund):

Car handed over to Andrew Mearns/Gmund in Autumn 2018 to market on a SOR basis. Initial price quite optimistic so subsequently reduced down to £57,495 over a period of time at my request.

11/03/19 : Communication from Andrew Mearns/Gmund notifying me of interest in the car.

(I subsequently established that the car was MOT'd on 6/03/19 - wasn't due until 1/8/19 - so I suspect this was virtually a done deal by the time I was informed).

30/03/19: DVLA notification of change of registered keeper received.

(I subsequently established via an HPI check that the change was effective 14/03/19).

30/03/19: Prompted only by communication from me, response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund that deal done but still getting car ready and plate transfer was the reason for the change of keeper.

(I know enough about buying/selling cars to know that no-one would transfer the registered keeper until payment had been received. Note, nearly 8 weeks after the change of keeper, original plate remains on the vehicle according to DVLA. Request for details of the deal struck ignored).

5/4/19: Chased Andrew Mearns/Gmund for update.

6/4/19: Chance conversation with another motor trader who was buying one of my other cars, directed me to issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund highlighted on 911UK.COM.

(I was particularly spooked by the comment made by forum member 'DPC7" that Andrew Mearns/Gmund had sold a £60k car early March so his payment could now be made - my car I presume?)

6/4/19: Request for urgent clarification of the deal reached / payment.

8/4/19: Response received - Sierra Cosworth taken in as part-exchange being delivered to its new owner 11/4/19 and payment would follow thereafter.

(They did have a Sierra Cosworth advertised on Pistonheads early March, although not on their own web-site, which I saw had been sold late March, so this seemed plausible to me. In the interests of keeping dealings friendly, I chose to overlook the fact that at least 50% of the sale proceeds had been in their possession since 14/03/19. Request for details of the deal reached again ignored).

15/04/19: Urgent update requested - no response.

22/04/19: Final warning before legal action sent.

(Not wanting to stick the knife in on a business which might have been experiencing genuine cashflow problems - although that's not really my problem as these monies should have been ring-fenced from the business account - I asked for £25k and the balance by 10/05/19).

23/04/19: Response received - payment would be made that week with further request that I did not go public on any forums.

25/04/19: Now 6 weeks since car sold & no payment received.

28/04/19: With numerous broken promises and no realistic prospects of being paid, 911UK.COM informed and solicitor instructed.

29/04/19: Response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund, payment would be made 'in the next day or so".

07/05/19: as of today, no payment received - almost 8 weeks since car sold.

Like others, I'm extremely disappointed to find myself in this position. I find it incredible that a seemingly legitimate and well respected business can be allowed to operate in this way. I also consider myself a good judge of character, but clearly, I got it badly wrong on this occasion.

I will be reporting Andrew Mearns/Gmund to Trading Standards and contacting the local press in North Yorkshire as there are some elements to this story which could make it potentially newsworthy. The fact that Andrew's wife, Samantha Mearns, is a local councillor and was the Company Secretary and a 'person with significant control" (PSC) when the vehicle was given to them in August 2018 (resigned December 2018) or that Gmund have their Open Day on 18/05/19 is not lost on me either.

Payment has been promised this week, let's see whether this promise is honoured.

Although I've done SOR before and had good experiences from the likes of JZM, not sure I'd ever do it again.

I regret that my first post on this forum is a negative one but applaud 911UK.COM for providing a platform to highlight negative experiences from those in the Porsche fraternity.

If what you have said is the case, they are quite literally robbing you right now.

What could 60k in eight weeks be turned into if invested properly ?

Hope it works out for you sooner rather than later OP

I would also report the matter to Action Fraud who will then refer it to the local police. It's theft all day long. The police won;t be interested (believe me I know :roll: ) but you can tell them that you have reported both to the insolvency services and action fraud. I would copy these letters to his wife at her 'official" address if she was a director at the time of the SOR. Tell her you are reporting her for lack of probity when a director of a limited company which can lead to disqualification from being a director (even if you are not currently a director). She will be the pressure point to get this resolved quickly.

As with previous threads the trick is to be selfish and push yourself up to the front of the queue.

It's great to hear the word is getting around other traders, with things like this a momentum does build, its getting it started that is the problem and it is reliant on people like you being willing to make it public and forums like this making sure it goes public.

Good luck :thumb:

So sorry to hear that you are having similar issues to a number of other members on this forum. If I were you, I would make sure I was the first person in attendance at his open day in a couple of weeks time, and the last person to leave. And don't leave until you have either been paid in full for the sale of your car or taken some of his other lovely stock to the value of your motor. He must have some cars on his forecourt that aren't all SOR??

Not again! This guy is just unbelievable and I think a trip to his 'open day' could be on the books!!

From what I've been told previously it's his wife who bails him out every time.

This guy so needs a visit from Trading Standards...

Sadly you probably best hope he sells someone else's car :(

As that seems to be the only way anyone gets paid...it looks like he has to rob Peter to pay Paul over and over again....

It's disgusting. The guy needs to give people their cars back, shut up shop and stop ruining people's lives...

964RS said:
Sadly you probably best hope he sells someone else's car :(

As that seems to be the only way anyone gets paid...it looks like he has to rob Peter to pay Paul over and over again....

It's disgusting. The guy needs to give people their cars back, shut up shop and stop ruining people's lives...

+100

:welcome:

Shame you've had to join under these circumstances :nooo:

This guy must be getting business advice from the nob end at Kool Kanvas...who also have a show in May :bandit:

:thumb:

My pal was speaking to Mearns at the last show we went to about possibly selling his 924 CGT rep on SOR. I let him know about the threads on here needless to say he's not going to use them. Thanks to forums like these you find out about traders like this
Thanks guys and good luck to any who are struggling with them, hope you get your money ASAP.

It's a shame you couldn't get him into court and then onto that Sheriffs programme. Seeing them in a Dodgy Porsche Dealer, word would spread like wildfire!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back