Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Obtaining previous service invoices from OPC

Nattyboy

Has anyone had success in getting copies of previous service invoices from an OPC ? I have just bought Cayenne with lots of service stamps but I approached them to see if they could help with smmarising any work the car has had done and was given the old 'GDPR' chestnut :x . Not asking them to disclose previous owner detail, just a summary of work done ! Thanks Nat

What I thought but they are not having any of it 😡. Really can't understand d how giving you a summary of what's been done to a car infringes on GDPR - guess it's pointless escalating to Porsche gb as it's obviously franchised

Back in 2013 I was given the data protection run around by opc.
I got the opc to agree that if the previous owner agreed to release the history they would print and send it to me.
I wrote to the previous owner with a letter for them sign to the opc and a stamp addressed envelope etc (made it really simple for them and asked nicely).
About 4 weeks later and hey presto!

Interestingly, they then printed everything, including stuff from previous owners which hadn't been agreed - so they totally contradicted themselves!

I bought a used 997 and couldn't get copies of invoices because of GDPR but did manage to get a summary of work done which I felt sufficient .

I asked the OPC I bought mine from (Swindon) for copies of the previous invoices (as they'd looked after the car for most of its 6 years) - they obliged without an issue but cut off the top of the invoice, so there were no details of the previous 2 owners.

Seems like a simple solution to the issue of privacy, or am I just being too 'common sense' :dont know:

If it wasn't possible to readily establish the details of the previous keepers, that would work.

Surely the issue here isn't what you can find out if you want to but what information the OPC is presenting to you?

If the OPC simply cuts the top off the invoice copies, all they are presenting to you is a list of parts fitted to your car, the dates they were fitted and the cost of doing so - the fact that Mr B of Acacia Ave owned the car at that point isn't information they have imparted, so no foul.

As you say, you can find out past ownership information anyway, so the OPs OPC just don't seem to be particularly helpful.

Perhaps asking a different contact, might result in a different answer :dont know:

911Time said:
Surely the issue here isn't what you can find out if you want to but what information the OPC is presenting to you?

No, it's that the information they are providing that relates to a.n.other person. Chopping off the name won't cut it under GDPR.

All I did was email them asking if they could confirm that the service stamps and job numbers shown in the book were genuine and inquired as to any other work that was carried out at the time of the service. They were happy to provide that information to me.

I have no doubt that you're right about about the strict implementation of the GPDR rules Magic but in this particular instance it just seems like overkill and another example of bureaucracy gone mad :dont know:

Previous owners aren't disadvantaged in any way by a subsequent owner knowing what was fitted and when, so where is the harm?

I'm sure my OPC protects sensitive data but thank goodness they used some common sense when I asked for the history on my car.

Of course it's possible that they contacted the two previous owners without my knowledge and sought their agreement before passing on the cut-down copy invoices but I didn't get that impression at the time and the information was provided very promptly, which suggests that wasn't the case.

Either way, I'm glad they passed on the information, so I could learn more about the car's service history.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back