Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Passed its ITV

decgraham

Albert Park
Hi All,

Took the car for its annual ITV and pleased to say it passed. Had an issue with emissions and the young guy said No bien :sad: However, I told him that I only drive the car 3500Kms per year and could he rev it up and test again. Another tester, who wanted the car :lol: got in and gave it a good revving, tested again and all OK, the CAT needed a clear out. They said again that I need to drive the car more and faster :D I told them that the speed limits are down now to 90Kmh and they all shrugged and shook their heads.

Note to self, car needs an Italian tune up before ITV.

ATB :)

decgraham, bet that was a heart sinking moment...Glad it ended well for you both.. (-:

My old car has lain dormant for circa four years and no doubt would benefit from a good up to temp run to give it a good clear out, but it has no MOT... and thus no road tax... I have run it up in the garage every so often but there is no substitute for putting the engine under load to get it warmed through and running as it should...The MOT station is only a couple of miles distant and thus no real chance to clear things out a tad.... fingers crossed. Perhaps on seldom used cars it would be a reasonable idea to make more use of it for a few days before MOT/ITV tests... :?:

Hi Luddite,

My car had the same problem last year but the tester knew what to do. I sat in a line of 10 cars on Tuesday and kept starting and stopping the car every time I moved forward in the line. This is not good for the CAT as it leads to a build up of nasty gases. A good blast out does the trick. Yes a good hard drive on the day of the test is a good idea.

I have a story about my car and emissions, as it passed in the UK without a CAT under personal import rules, but the same rules did not apply in Spain, so much for cross border EU rules. I had to fit a CAT to the car and modify the wiring to accommodate it. I got to know the guys at the ITV centre pretty well as it failed 3 times before my local mechanic got the set up right. It then passed with flying colours. The guys were so pleased when it passed :lol:

ATB :)

Seems very fortunate that you are recognised at the ITV station and that they want the Porsche to pass, it seems possible that the attitudes of some folk could be entirely different in some situations potentially making life a tad more difficult..

My old car has no cats or EFI and runs carbs, so may remove the air filters to slightly weaken the mixture on my short run down to the test centre, which may provide a slightly weaker mixture during emissions testing but not weak enough to cause overheating, fingers crossed...

In the UK I think it was standard practice to rev the nuts of some diesels to improve emission readings, however after numerous blown engines during MOT tests I think there was a change in that practice..

I was told by an MOT tester that they do not perform rolling road BRAKE tests on cars with limited slip diffs as it can damage the diff clutches, apparently one Porsche owner with a supposedly failing diff claimed the MOT station had caused the damage...hmm... :?:

Cheers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back