Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

More thoughts on the 992 coming from a 991.2 GTS

findtom

Nurburgring
I finally managed to get a test drive on Saturday of a lightly spaced 992C2 from my local OPC.

There are loads of comments online on how good the new car is, (it is), so I won't linger on the driving dynamics or how much of a leap it is from 991 etc. But there were some small details that really stood out to me, as a driver of a 991.2GTS, that I thought I would share.

Bose. I have had Bose and Burmester systems and note that the new system sounds a lot like the old Burmester system in the 991. It is surprising how clear and crisp the sound is. It might be linked to the fact that the 992 is a much more refined vehicle than the out going 991, and that allows the stereo to really be heard, however the speaker improvement is staggering. I honestly thought about buying one just for the upgrade!

Headlining. For as long as I can remember Porsche have used Alcantara in the headlining of all 911s, but in the new 992 you need to order it separately, (for £821). Having now seen the standard lining, I think anyone coming from an older 911 will want to spend the £821....

Low speed pick up. I think over all the 992 feels as quick as the 991.2 GTS (they are rated the same power). But I think, driving them back to back, that the 992 does seem to spool up a little sooner, from lower in the rev range. I also think the new 8 speed PDK helps significantly. It is smooth and quick and made my PDK feel clunky in the way the 991 made my 997.2 seem a bit outdated when that came out.

No surprises there then, so many tiny details and improvements, all as expected. However, there was one tiny disapointment, and I have said the same of my 991.2, the exhaust noise. As with many turbo cars the noise is just diminished and for me, (I know, it's very subjective), it detracts from how good the car is. To be fair, it is a much better and interesting sound than the 991.2, but it is really remote. Like it's coming from the car next to you and not the one your'e sat in?

My hope is that the 992GTS will address the noise. It is a really great 911, all be it very much the most digital 911 to date. I had the chance to order a new 992 and sell my 991 back to the OPC for very nearly what I paid for it 2 months ago. But ultimately I decided I would stick to my plan and wait for the 992GTS instead.

Attachments

• cd22cbb1_36b9_46d2_a760_d384e3eb8032_210.jpg
    cd22cbb1_36b9_46d2_a760_d384e3eb8032_210.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 4,428
findtom said:
Headlining. For as long as I can remember Porsche have used Alcantara in the headlining of all 911s, but in the new 992 you need to order it separately, (for £821). Having now seen the standard lining, I think anyone coming from an older 911 will want to spend the £821....
I did that! It felt a bit mental spending the money but it is very tactile.... Probably the most depreciating item on the car...

Yes, I agree with all of that!

Although i couldn't bring myself to shell out for the lining... such a dilemma

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back