Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Want to improve your handling, read this!

chowgar

For those of you who drive your 911 as it was intended, please get your engine mounts replaced if you suspect they are worn. Many will never have been replaced and it is an often overlooked non service item.

I had mine done on Saturday and after owning the car for over four years, I'm quite surprised at the difference this has made to the handling of the car, especially at the rear. When cornering hard, I've noticed the car feeling more planted and the gear shifting seems more precise. This can be attributed with the engine being held in place more solidly, through the performance demands of the drivetrain.

What was the £Damage?

I'm tempted by the Function First ones... closer to OEM, but enhanced a bit. I have the FF Shift Right kit which is great... their products are well engineered.

I'm running the RSS semi solid engine mounts, which were a good improvement from stock (after 5 years), and I have the Function First inserts for the gearbox still to go in.

I have also got the rss ones which do tighten things up nicely but if people are thinking of the you might want to look at the 964 / 993 rs engine mounts as they are semi solid as well and a lot cheaper, the only down side is they don't look as sexy

I have tried most of the engine mounts my experience is as follows

Rennline adjustable semi solids on yellow bushes
added some NVH but still very acceptable gave the car a GT feel.

Function first semi semi solids.
The theory about these was great so I thought I would try them .my fitter removed them after 30 mins the NVH was horrific ,which was a great surprise and a shame.

RSS semi solids.
I decided to buy used ones working on the theory that they would be already broken in and the NVH reduced as it does when things settle. this instantly felt right on the car virtually no more NVH than stock mounts but with a more more planted and GT like feel to the handling .

964/993 RS
these have had great reports and were going to be the next to try had the RSS not been right. these are also good option if your in the keep it OE camp.

but as the OP says most cars are running on original mounts which have supporting the engine for years, so even if you weren't into semi solids etc at least change the mounts to new ones you will be surprised at what just doing that does . :thumb: :thumb:

RS ones for me.

speak to Matt at Type 911 in kent who stock them and the fitting kit at a good price.

chowgar said:
Sy said:
What was the £Damage?

I paid £180 for the mounts from Carparts4less and £80 to have them fitted.

You did well to find them on there... not sure they have them listed for my 996.

Phil - interesting to read your comments on the FF mounts. I went from OEM
saggy bottom straight to these, so don't really have any other reference.

I might give the RSS mounts a try out of curiosity.

RS mounts are £125 plus VAT plus postage from Type 911

I have to admit i've lost count the number of times i've flagged these up on a service but no one ever wants them done .. its akin to saying your tyre sealant is out of date .. no one is interested :?

Perhaps ill start flagging them as a Red item :D

NLW73 said:
RS mounts are £125 plus VAT plus postage from Type 911

That's good... for a pair? I did check the website but pretty incomprehensible.

@DeMort- how do you know when the mounts are knackered- time based, or can you tell by looking at them?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back