Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Detailing results

Rojdog

Silverstone
Had my car given a good polish and going over by a local detailer. Having bought the car last year it really needed doing, lots of swirls and scratches in the clear coat. Really happy with the results, the metallic specs in the paint sparkle now... just though I would share the results!

Attachments

• front_210.jpg
    front_210.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 3,747
  • rear1_172.jpg
    rear1_172.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 3,747
  • rear_2_173.jpg
    rear_2_173.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 3,747
  • rear3_885.jpg
    rear3_885.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 3,747
  • rear_wing_before_284.jpg
    rear_wing_before_284.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 3,747
  • rear_wing_after_205.jpg
    rear_wing_after_205.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 3,747
  • door_before_950.jpg
    door_before_950.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 3,747
Nothing better than a detailed black car! How is it protected now?

Mmmm, glossy! Is that black or atlas grey?..

The return of Marty Wild said:
Nothing better than a detailed black car! How is it protected now?

I can't remember the name but I do remember him saying its from Hungary. Should last a few months apparently.

I was going to put the gtechniq ceramic coating on myself but bottled it in the end for fear of messing it up. The price for him to do it was too much for me.

Now that looks nice, I have the same colour so will consider getting it done myself when I get some time :)

Looks good, hope it lasts for you. Obviously can't be too careful when you wash it!

Funnily enough, the last thread I was in before coming here was a member saying he doesn't seem to rate the Gtechniq so who knows?!

Looks good, hope it lasts for you. Obviously can't be too careful when you wash it!

Funnily enough, the last thread I was in before coming here was a member saying he doesn't seem to rate the Gtechniq so who knows?!

Gtechniq does swirl if you aren't super diligent. Happily it can be topped-up annually by your friendly local detailer. I had my 997 done back in October and it's been my daily since then. It will have it's coating topped-up very soon. A weekend ride will get away with being left longer between treatments.

I'm very happy with the Gtechniq range. The wheel sealant in particular is very good. I literally have no tar-spots and my car's been through the winter wringer.

The thing with ceramic coatings is I think a lot of people read into the hype and expect this product with mystical attributes. It's just an alternative to using a wax really. Actually, if I was just saving my 997 for weekends, I'd strip the ceramic coating off and layer up with a high carnauba content wax. That's the way to make your car pop!

Rojdog said:
Had my car given a good polish and going over by a local detailer. Having bought the car last year it really needed doing, lots of swirls and scratches in the clear coat. Really happy with the results, the metallic specs in the paint sparkle now... just though I would share the results!

Why do your exhaust tips look like they've been circumcised?

double post

chowgar said:
Rojdog said:

Why do your exhaust tips look like they've been circumcised?

I think that cars with PSE have the circumcision shrouds :floor:

MattyR said:

Gtechniq does swirl if you aren't super diligent. Happily it can be topped-up annually by your friendly local detailer. I had my 997 done back in October and it's been my daily since then. It will have it's coating topped-up very soon. A weekend ride will get away with being left longer between treatments.

I'm very happy with the Gtechniq range. The wheel sealant in particular is very good. I literally have no tar-spots and my car's been through the winter wringer.

The thing with ceramic coatings is I think a lot of people read into the hype and expect this product with mystical attributes. It's just an alternative to using a wax really. Actually, if I was just saving my 997 for weekends, I'd strip the ceramic coating off and layer up with a high carnauba content wax. That's the way to make your car pop!

I did discuss the gtechniq with the detailer, he was of the opinion that the shine and gloss is identical to a decent wax. The main difference being the longevity of the ceramic coating which should last for a year with careful washing.

Mine is not a daily and lives in a garage under a cover when not in use so think I will go the carnauba route like you mentioned when this sealant wears off.

I would love the ceramic but professional application was 4 times the price of this polish/detail which I just couldn't justify.

Rojdog said:
MattyR said:

I did discuss the gtechniq with the detailer, he was of the opinion that the shine and gloss is identical to a decent wax. The main difference being the longevity of the ceramic coating which should last for a year with careful washing.

Mine is not a daily and lives in a garage under a cover when not in use so think I will go the carnauba route like you mentioned when this sealant wears off.

I would love the ceramic but professional application was 4 times the price of this polish/detail which I just couldn't justify.

That sounds like a good idea because, as you say, your car is not a daily. Plus it's a lovely way to spend a couple of hours of a Sunday evening, when the sun is slung low in the sky, applying a layer or two of car wax. Glass in hand of course!

Really great results! :thumb:

There are dozens of products available to help maintain / protect your finish, including a plethora of wax blends, silica (Sio2) / siloxane based spray sealants and ceramic coatings.

I have become a bit OCD about cleaning my car of late and as a result I have far more products than I really need, however, this has allowed me to identify the products I like to use and those that work well. I highly recommend you take a look at the 'Forensic Detailing Channel' on youtube, you will find loads of products you never knew you really needed, as well as some to avoid and lots of useful tutorials.

I have recently started using P&S Beadmaker, which is a quick to apply spray sealant that I think performs really well, albeit you do need to keep re-applying it as it is not as durable as a ceramic coat. It gives good gloss levels and I have found it rather addictive, mainly because of the incredibly silky finish that it leaves on the paintwork. Done and Dusted SI Edition spray sealant has recently been released and also has good reviews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvN8XcG8OIo

If you do want a ceramic coating CarPro have recently released CQuartz LITE, which is easy to apply and designed for home use - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49UeM2SVGc

I hope this helps you make an informed choice!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back