Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993e?

H0ME

I've been following the classic electric car conversion company on twitter. They've done a few interesting cars like a 308 and now a Testorossa. This got me thinking that our 993's are potentially a classic shape (somewhat more affordable) that would likely come into demand should these conversion kits become more widely available. The performace is very impressive and they are using various Tesla parts and technology. Discuss... :)

The question is how much of a car's soul the engine is... flat 12 in the Testarossa, flat 6 in the 993. Without the engine they are garden ornaments.

How would you duplicate the weight distribution to retain the handling balance?

I bet its not cheap either... for the money I would rather a 'proper' EV with all the other gadgets.

But that said, it may be the only way to keep classic cars in use in say 20 yrs time. I worry that as EVs become more widespread and petrol demand drops (and its going to be exponential) that petrol will become increasingly hard to buy as it will be no longer economical to distribute as they do now.

No thanks! It's the air-cooled lump hanging out the rear which makes for the whole driving experience...

Go and buy a Nissan Leaf or a Tesla if you want remaining charge anxiety. :grin:

C.

OK but what if the climate change lobby succeed in banning non-essential ICE vehicles? Or tax them to a level where you can't possibly drive one? Or make petrol illegal? Don't laugh, these are genuine possibilities if society insists on zero net carbon within six years..........
May be your choice will be a Nissan Leaf, a 993e or.......no 993 at all. What would you do then?
It's a good job all the electricity will be generated by renewables, of course. Oh, hang on.....

I agree... the dystopian future (from an enthusiast perspective) is closer than we think.

Luckily I like the Jag iPace!

Buy a Leaf for daily duties if you must, but leave our 993's alone!

That flat six is the soul of the car!

It's going to happen, so enjoy petrol cars while they are here, the conversions will become better and more common over the coming years so really depends on what your long term plans are and what future legislation comes into play. I can certainly see petrol gradually going the way of leaded fuel.

I think it was Johnny Smith who made an interesting comment when he said for cars where the engines neither here nor there (i.e. Citroen DS) it makes perfect sense, but not where it's intrinsic to the car, you could argue if you subscribe to this approach there's no car less appropriate for batteries than a 911 of any variety.

For me it's similar to those who have put a V8 in one, why :?:

asterix_the_gaul said:

The ingenuity of some people amazes me. That is a serious project...

It would be interesting to see whether an EV car could be made to feel like an ICE car by incorporating simulated gearchanges, NVH and or course engine sound. I wonder how that would work... we are half way there with sound 'symposers' and I understand Audi had to make their multitronic CVT feel and sound like a normal auto as people hated the droning constant noise.

Petrol will outlive the dirty diesel, and both will be around for a while yet, though increasingly more expensive. In the UK we have virtually no domestic sources of oil, and unless the anti-frakkers are ignored, all focus / investment will be on electricity generation.

So no need to butcher our cars, just save more to keep using them !!

PS I know it's not double 'K' but the bad language police think I was using somethink else..

What will be interesting is when decent EVs become available at lower price points (my guess is these will be European badged Chinese imports).

EVs are really much better for people's driving usage, particularly for countries where power generation is from renewables.

If we see an exponential usage take-up (and I think we will), it could become increasingly uneconomic for energy companies to distribute fossil fuels as they do now.

Honestly I can't think of many engines in new ICE cars I would miss, aside from the high-end.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back