Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is it possible to reset the DATE on 997.1 with PCM2.1?

TTW

Trainee
The date on my PCM2.1 suddenly changed to 01/07/2000 a few weeks ago, and following a battery disconnect at the garage last weekend, then reset to 01/01/2000.

I understand the date previous reset automatically, but have seen recent info (including an email from TOMTOM regarding my old Gen1 Satnav) referring to some 'technology switch off' which sounds related, and suspect is the reason the date hasn't updated?

My question is, is there ANY way of changing the date MANUALLY on the PCM2.1 or is every PCM2.1 now going to show the wrong date from this year onwards?

Any help appreciated?

Thanks
T. :)

Im working on this problem atm , the car is back with us tomorrow after being left outside for a number of days in the hope the gps would update it .

I did manage to use a tester to get the correct date last time but it was a bit of a mission .. the pcm will reset after you exit the programing with the tester and it keeps defaulting back to the wrong date.

I did it in the end but then had to do another battery removal and was back to square one .. hence its back tomorrow for me to try again.

Ill let you know tomorrow night i guess :)

Not all units do this .. in fact very few so im guessing there is some software fault so an OPC reinstalling the software might work but i'm guessing here and it wont be cheap .. Indys don't tend to have the update discs .. there are an awful lot of them im afraid .

Yes and no and some of the bellow is my impression of whats going on !

We did a reinstall of the system software .. this basically deletes the date from the main screen .. i've already seen this on later software versions .. it seems only the first version actually has the date .

My way of thinking is something changed as this is GPS based and the "fix" was just to delete it from view... i see no other reason why the date would be deleted and there are many posts of this problem without a fix .

BTW if updating the software you have to do the nav update as well .

I had already established you cant set the date with a tester if the car can see any satellites but you can if under cover.

If the car is locked under cover then it will keep working with the correct date .. if locked outside though it resets back to year 2000 .

Anyways we did the software install and yup no date .

I tried something different though .. with a tester i reset the date to current and it appeared back on the main screen .. very weird , this seems to have stayed like this for now but the customer will let us know down the line if its still there and working i guess.

Over all this was very time consuming and a lot of trouble getting the correct discs .. the PCM as is often the case didn't even want to read the update discs at first so more messing around to get the first disc even started .

I hate software faults !!

iainwarner6 said:
There was a GPS Rollover event on the 6th of April 2019. It's possible that this might be related.
Just speculation, may not be related but may be worth looking into...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/12/current_gps_epoch_ends/

Cheers,
Iain

As I understand it, and yes mine is one that has lost the date, this seems to be the cause. As yet no reliable fix that I know of. As deMort says it can be reset but as soon as the satellites are connected, loses it again. I think it is just something we have to put up with it. In the grand scheme of things it is not really important.

Hertsdriver said:
Thanks for the update (forgive the pun.... :thumb: )

It does seem to be linked to a change I gps technology and the old units inability to deal with this change. Annoying but not really the end of the world

:floor:

I did actually get it working prior to reinstalling / updating the software but there was no set of instructions i can give ..

Basically i set the date with a tester inside , a metal sheet over the gps antenna so it couldn't see the satellites ..

the customer never actually locks the car so i assume that over a couple of weeks it actually took the date as it could be locked inside and out after this and the date was always correct... a fix in a sense .

We had a separate issue with a nav software incompatibility message that we then did the install / update ..

I did the same thing again with the date and so far it seems to have worked but basically .. im of the opinion something has altered .. maybe the gps roll over thats stops this from working .

overall .. there is a fix but i can't give a clear set of instructions on how to fix this .. unless you can work it out from what i have done :)

I have been looking at this post for a while.

I replaced my battery and since then the clock is not working as it should.

Start car. Correct time. Move off. time 2 - 3 hours early. Drive a bit more clock corrects itself.

I have posted about this before and we can't get to the bottom of it.

So today I wondered what the date was and I am 100% sure that it used to be displayed on the PCM but can i find it no !!

Is it related to this post and the GPS changes ....

If you press the Main and Trip button at the same time you will get the software list , this will show any faults as there will be a triangle next to the item .

It will also say the version of software .

V1 .. date is displayed on the main screen .. in this case probably 7.7 2000 or 1.1.2000 .

This is the fault for this thread .

V2 and V 3.3 .. no date displayed on the main screen .. it can be found via settings and will be as per V1 .

I have to say i found a workaround by resetting the date with a tester as per previous post so that it was displayed correctly but cant say if it will last .

There is a work around for the time if you don't use the sat nav .. you disconnect the Gps antenna .. if it cant see the satellites then it cant reset anything .

Personally i'd rather have the correct time than use a nav system with 15 year old maps in it .

Time is adjusted via the button on the right of the instrument cluster but gps can interfere with this .

The roll over is a new thing to me but makes sense for both time and date .. but the date fault has been around for a while .

Hopefully found a FIX for the DATE issue on PCM2.1. details can be found at the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/231006915669195/permalink/419421750161043/

But in essence, with vehicle switched off, disconnect the Cables to the SAT NAV unit, then power on the ignition and the PCM will allow you to update the DATE manually! - Once set, turn off ignition, and reconnect SAT NAV - Turn on ignition, and the manual date change should persist.

At least it does for me currently, not sure if will need to perform this routine again if ever change battery etc, but for the time being all is good and my PCM is displaying the correct date rather than a radon date in the year 2000.

Hi TTW,
any news about the 'fix"? Is the date still correct after one week? Let me know please: I'd like to put my 'hands" on the matter and very interested to know if your fix is still working or not!
Cheers!piero

Indeed - All Good! :) See pic with todays date.

Attachments

• img_6498_145.jpeg
    img_6498_145.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3,090
  • img_6498_145.jpeg
    img_6498_145.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3,090
thanks TTW...it was not necessary to post the pic...I believe you!, :thumbs: :thumbs: My car is a C4S...to reach the rear part of the NAV module There are some bolts to remove the big cover in the luggage compartment...de Mort, do you think I will be able to do this job?! :?: ...or still too difficult for a dummy DIYer?!
Thanks Again TTW!piero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back