Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinion on this 996

ursicles

Folks,

Wonder if any of you have any thoughts on this:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C916003

Car looks clean, mileage looks decent and apparently full porsche history bar last service (which was at a good indy).

Looking for a C2, and wondering if this could be the one!

From the brief description it sounds ok

The pictures are terrible and the description not much better.

I would want to know. How many owners? What work has been done other than standard servicing? Clutch, RMS? What does the MOT history look like? Mileage PA? Low yearly use or stored for periods?

If it sounds ok go and have a look. If it looks ok then PPI inspection to include the bores.

Having had a look at the MOT history there have been a few advisories re brakes, dampers, tyres etc.

The good news is it seems to have been lightly used through it's life.

I would be wanting to see the bills for all work done then factor in the usual stuff not there. Radiators, suspension components etc

MOT is due end May, not July...

Its the right sort of money, nice mileage

Looks good, and unappealing ads can hide a gem, so worth doing some homework I'd say.

So in answer to some questions:

Car has had 5 owners, i dont think anything has been changed on the car - but im budgetting £1500 to do the clutch, IMS and low temp thermostat.

Its had brake discs and pads done by the OPC in 2014 - and done minimal mileage since.

Seller said he would MOT and service it prior to sale. I'm tempted to say to him knock £250 any agreed price and i do the servicing.

If the engine is coming out to do that then I would add AOS, Water pump, RMS. Ping the seal off the IMS bearing. Check the rear rigid brake hose above the engine

Don't get hung up on the mileage - that could well be just round the corner from needing an engine rebuild (mine was Hartech'd at 60k miles).

I'd sooner find a high mileage car that's had the big ticket items done, particularly at that price.

I'd be very wary of buying a 15 yr old car that's only covered 1k miles in the last 3 years, has no MOT (as yet) and needs servicing. I'd at least get him to MOT it and then check the advisories.......and don't part with dosh until the bores are checked and ok.

rdodger said:
If the engine is coming out to do that then I would add AOS, Water pump, RMS. Ping the seal off the IMS bearing. Check the rear rigid brake hose above the engine

Thats not a bad call - do all those service items in one go and know (to a point!) that the car is safe.

Re the MOT - exactly my thinking. Id get it MOT'd somewhere, and then negotiate a deal based on what the advisories are.

Essex Porsche Inspections are going there tomorrow to give the car a once over , sadly it was too far for Porsche Inspections to go and view.

Car (if bought) will prob be taken to Northway for them to do any work as always found them to be brilliant in the past.

I'd use the PPI as both a negotiating tool and the list of stuff to do before the MOT - no point running it through the MOT until you've done the stuff.

I'd be wary of using an MOT as a way of generating a task list - the PPI is much better for that.

MOT runs out in 4 weeks. Nobody suggested using that as a checklist, more a case of not parting with any dosh on a car with no MOT (that includes a deposit).

If the car would fail it, or get advisories, I'd prefer that it not be sent for the test until fixed. If that means the MOT happens after I've taken delivery then that's by-the-by.

Alex said:
MOT runs out in 4 weeks. Nobody suggested using that as a checklist, more a case of not parting with any dosh on a car with no MOT (that includes a deposit).

Not sure where the misnomer has come from - the car does have an MOT until 30th May. Just that the seller said he would put it through its MOT before selling it so it came with a full 12 months MOT.

I'd prefer to get the seller to MOT it and when it fails........walk away.

Sorry, just me. I always smell a rat when someone says they'll MOT it once you commit to buying.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back