Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If you had £25k to buy a 911 as an investment, which one?..

Bradm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like some advice on purchasing my first 911.

I adore all 911's, maybe the 996 isn't my favourite, but I'd like to invest around £25k into a 911. The question is, from an investment perspective, which one will likely appreciate the most over time?

For this modest amount, I see that the likes of the 996 and 997 are affordable, but then is it the Targa, C4S, Turbo? I'd love an earlier model but looks like they're out of reach.

Your thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Regards

Brad

As an investment I would buy gold, sovereigns or brittannias to avoid CGT, or Amazon shares. As a car to drive and enjoy buy an early 996 C2, they are superb.

MC

There is no 911 at £25k that is an investment. Who is your financia advisor?

cheshire911 said:
There is no 911 at £25k that is an investment. Who is your financia advisor?

:floor:

Too many non GT 996/7s about to rise in value more than the maintenance costs.

Buy one because you want one, bought well it will cost you little overall.

The 'classic car as investment' boat has probably sailed, aside from the very top end.

Echoing the above, wouldn't buy any Porsche as an investment. Particularly at the mo where their values are all over the place and nobody has confidence to buy anything.

Bung it in an S&S ISA instead!

by investment do you mean lowest cost of ownership or highest residual value? net of all costs of owning one, i dont think id ever look to a car as an investment in the purest sense of the word?

Re: If you had £25k to buy a 911 as an investment, which on

Bradm said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like some advice on purchasing my first 911.

I adore all 911's, maybe the 996 isn't my favourite, but I'd like to invest around £25k into a 911. The question is, from an investment perspective, which one will likely appreciate the most over time?

For this modest amount, I see that the likes of the 996 and 997 are affordable, but then is it the Targa, C4S, Turbo? I'd love an earlier model but looks like they're out of reach.

Your thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Regards

Brad

Brad I'm sending some negativity in the posts above (you dared mention Investment :grin:) A bit like mentioning a journalist to a Football hooligan.

Better wording may be 'which 911 will potentially depreciate less" then you may get some more positive responses :thumb:

I would suggest a Hartech (other engine builders are available) engined 997.1 would be a fairly solid bet.
Failing that some of the older front and mid engined Porsche's are becoming more collectible :thumb: but presuming its 911 only?

Thank you all for your feedback so far, been great help.

'spongebob squarepants' you're quite right, I'm seeking the 911 which is likely to depreciate the least. There's no guarantee of course but from experience and previous trends, I'd like an idea on the most likely 911 to achieve that.

To add some colour, I'm not looking to invest in a 911 with the expectation it delivers a better return vs a conventional investment, so apologies if that came across at the start.

I have a BMW Z3M Coupe which is worth around £25k and I'm considering selling it to buy a 911. I like the Z3M which I've had for 15 years, bought for £15k and I've driven 75k miles. I'll make around £10k prior maintenance costs, but have ALWAYS wanted a 911. So my decision is an emotional one, a decision I'd have to accept could cost me down the line, as the Z3M will likely appreciate considering they only made 6k worldwide. However, mine has 165k miles so it's not the most desirable, when others are selling up to £60k.

Anyway, enough about BMW!

I much prefer the 997, but agree with most here who have suggested the 996 could be a better bet. If I were to slightly increase my budget to £30k then these two options could be contenders;

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...nic-s-low-owners-full-porsche-history/7967121

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...7/porsche-911-997-carrera-4s-x51-2007/9627181

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...2004-with-hartech-engine-rebuild-2004/9528288

What's the better bet, a 996 Turbo, a 997 C with full Hartech rebuild, or 997 C4S?

Bradm said:
What's the better bet, a 996 Turbo, a 997 C with full Hartech rebuild, or 997 C4S?

Now that 996 Turbos have come back down to sensible money I'd vote for one. I'm sure they're pretty much 'depreciation proof' and much more fun to own and drive than any Carrera - just so long as you can afford to maintain one properly.

The turbo, every day and 5 times on sunday.

The 996/997 turbos provide a driving experience and power delivery the newer 911.2 Carrera onwards still can't match despite the claimed HP figures.

The 911 turbo will always be the daddy (to me at least), and I believe they will all eventually appreciate - even the poor old gloriously underrated 996..

:thumb:

Of those 3 (and I prefer the 997 to the 996) based on what you've said so far, I would go:
1. 996 Turbo (don't think it will depreciate much if at all)
2. 997 Hartech C2 (engine now pretty much bulletproof, so drive and enjoy)
3. 997 C4S (nice spec and X51, but for me on risk alone could need a rebuild at some point)

Number 3 could easily go to number 2 or 1 dependent on a decent inspection, for bore scoring etc and warranty, as I like the spec etc. There are IMS solutions out there but fitting them depends on the engine age, as some still require the engine out and split I believe

That turbo is lovely, I'm no fan of the 996 interior, but that grey really lightens it up :thumb:
Turbo!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back